Critical Role's 'Daggerheart' Open Playtest Starts In March

System plays on 'the dualities of hope and fear'.

DH064_Bard-Wordsmith-Nikki-Dawes-2560x1440.jpg

On March 12th, Critical Role's Darrington Press will be launching the open playtest for Daggerheart, their new fantasy TTRPG/

Using cards and two d12s, the system plays on 'the dualities of hope and fear'. The game is slated for a 2025 release.

Almost a year ago, we announced that we’ve been working hard behind-the-scenes on Daggerheart, our contribution to the world of high-fantasy tabletop roleplaying games.

Daggerheart is a game of brave heroics and vibrant worlds that are built together with your gaming group. Create a shared story with your adventuring party, and shape your world through rich, long-term campaign play.

When it’s time for the game mechanics to control fate, players roll one HOPE die and one FEAR die (both 12-sided dice), which will ultimately impact the outcome for your characters. This duality between the forces of hope and fear on every hero drives the unique character-focused narratives in Daggerheart.

In addition to dice, Daggerheart’s card system makes it easy to get started and satisfying to grow your abilities by bringing your characters’ background and capabilities to your fingertips. Ancestry and Community cards describe where you come from and how your experience shapes your customs and values. Meanwhile, your Subclass and Domain cards grant your character plenty of tantalizing abilities to choose from as your character evolves.

And now, dear reader, we’re excited to let you know that our Daggerheart Open Beta Playtest will launch globally on our 9th anniversary, Tuesday, March 12th!

We want anyone and everyone (over the age of 18, please) to help us make Daggerheart as wonderful as possible, which means…helping us break the game. Seriously! The game is not finished or polished yet, which is why it’s critical (ha!) to gather all of your feedback ahead of Daggerheart’s public release in 2025.

It's also not fun for everyone, even if you can do it. Many people like having rules and plans.

Some of these criticisms seem like people want CR to somehow create a game that works for every type of player imaginable. And that’s not realistic or possible.

Everything I’ve seen so far, tells me that Daggerheart will supply the “beer and pretzels” gameplay that me and my group enjoy.

If you don’t like improvisation, Pathfinder 2e exists. That game goes out if it’s way to kill improve at every turn.

Reynard

Legend
Some of these criticisms seem like people want CR to somehow create a game that works for every type of player imaginable.
Well, CR has been using the game designed to do just that for years, so it isn't unexpected that those folks assumed CR would design a game equally universal.
Everything I’ve seen so far, tells me that Daggerheart will supply the “beer and pretzels” gameplay that me and my group enjoy.
I don't think of narrative, metacurrency heavy games as "beer and pretzels" games, but okay.
If you don’t like improvisation, Pathfinder 2e exists. That game goes out if it’s way to kill improve at every turn.
Oh, look, an unnecessary shot at an unrelated game.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Some of these criticisms seem like people want CR to somehow create a game that works for every type of player imaginable. And that’s not realistic or possible.

No, it is merely pointing out that it isn't easy for everyone, nothing more or less (not for me). It isn't even a criticism of the game, just a statement. I have players that like it, and players that don't. I don't know why stating this is seen as an attack on the game.....

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Has anyone had a chance to watch the one shot? What were your impressions?
Why the person who has lots of work he needs to periodically check in on can step to the front! I did watch it and it felt like the cast was into it. It worked to emulate the Critical Role type of game that I remember (but I haven't watched all of their stuff). Outside of combat the exploration encounters worked well and the Experiences/Hope connection seemed to flow well. I was thinking that it might not work that way but Matt does great with the degrees of success and failure being a part of the rules.

The combat was definitely crunchy and I'd say dragged a little bit. I do really like how activating the GM turns worked. Matt showed off how to do an ambush encounter where the GM goes first pretty well.

I think the group liked the game and seemed to mesh with the rules pretty well, even though they were sort of learning some of the details as they went.

After watching the game, it sold me more on it but also made me think that this will not be the game for a lot of people.

Reynard

Legend
Why the person who has lots of work he needs to periodically check in on can step to the front! I did watch it and it felt like the cast was into it. It worked to emulate the Critical Role type of game that I remember (but I haven't watched all of their stuff). Outside of combat the exploration encounters worked well and the Experiences/Hope connection seemed to flow well. I was thinking that it might not work that way but Matt does great with the degrees of success and failure being a part of the rules.

The combat was definitely crunchy and I'd say dragged a little bit. I do really like how activating the GM turns worked. Matt showed off how to do an ambush encounter where the GM goes first pretty well.

I think the group liked the game and seemed to mesh with the rules pretty well, even though they were sort of learning some of the details as they went.

After watching the game, it sold me more on it but also made me think that this will not be the game for a lot of people.
Thanks. Any chance you can pinpoint a combat in the run time? I'd like to see it in action.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Thanks. Any chance you can pinpoint a combat in the run time? I'd like to see it in action.
So apparently there are enough swears in it that my office filtered it as bad (even though I previously watched it on this PC...). I can't see the video at the moment but I think someone did a timestamp in the comments. I seem to recall it being about an hour in. There's another combat after the break in the session as well.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads