D&D and the rising pandemic

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
When you are talking about the urgency of stopping the disease definitely so.

Maybe so. In terms of getting through to a person who doesn't want to accept your point, someone who is looking for any excuse to not believe you, it can very much look like you are trying to pad the numbers. It gives them a point to argue on, a wedge they can stick in your presentation that allows them to feel justified in dismissing you entirely.

A better approach is "these X people are killed by the virus (in a direct biological sense) and these Y people are killed by the ancillary effects of our being in a pandemic (the healthcare system being overloaded, folks losing jobs/insurance, folks avoiding health care, etc)."

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
100k. New high score. :.-(

1607003046626.png

MarkB

Legend
Yeah. The holiday season is going to be ugly this year.
Having the first vaccine approved in the UK before Christmas seemed like great timing, but I'm starting to think it's the opposite. It won't be rolled out in sufficient volumes to cover much of the country before next year, but the fact that it's now "here" is likely to mean that people abandon even the reduced level of precautions they would have taken over the holiday.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Having the first vaccine approved in the UK before Christmas seemed like great timing, but I'm starting to think it's the opposite. It won't be rolled out in sufficient volumes to cover much of the country before next year, but the fact that it's now "here" is likely to mean that people abandon even the reduced level of precautions they would have taken over the holiday.

This seems depressingly possible.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Correct.

Imagine that on Thanksgiving day, there's a wave of people being exposed.

On average, folks exposed will start to show symptoms 5 days after exposure. (It is a wide range - 2 to 14 days). They'll start being contagious... basically this week and into next week (a couple days before they might show symptoms.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Having the first vaccine approved in the UK before Christmas seemed like great timing, but I'm starting to think it's the opposite.

I believe all the current vaccines we are looking at have a two-dose regimen, and it also takes time after the second dose for immunity to become established. I think it is supposed to be about six weeks from injection to reliable protection (I should double check on that). So, to be protected or X-mas, you'd probably have needed to have gotten the shot in mid-November.

Here in the US, they are talking about rolling out to health care and elderly first, expanding to less at-risk populations as time goes on. The population at large may be getting protected in mid to late spring?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases