D&D and the rising pandemic

Zardnaar

Legend
As I understand, the Pfizer vaccine requires super-cold refrigeration, Moderna’s can be stored in medical refrigerator temps, but AstraZenica’s can be kept in standard refrigeration systems. Possibly even a run of the mill ice chest.

If hat gives AZ’s vaccine a significant advantage in portability to rural areas. Some counties here in Texas don’t have a single MD, and the nearest medical facilities are over 250 miles away.

Now imagine trying to vaccinate people outside of first-world nations.

Ultimately, that could make it the most important of the three for fighting the pandemic globally.

There's a town in Texas up near Oklahoma and it's 800 miles from anywhere iirc. Saw a video about vaccine logistics. Might be 800 miles from Houston or Dallas.

I dearly miss going to cons, but figure that all the cons in the first half of next year are right out. Gen Con is a possibility, but still a slim one. Too many people are too invested in not following safety measures and science, alas.

Obviously I hope the vaccine is effective and saves many lives. But from just a gamer's view (which is very small in perspective in the scheme of people's lives), I hope it allows Gen Con to happen this year.

MarkB

Legend
I dearly miss going to cons, but figure that all the cons in the first half of next year are right out. Gen Con is a possibility, but still a slim one. Too many people are too invested in not following safety measures and science, alas.
Plus, gaming conventions couldn't be a much more ideal environment for the proliferation and spreading of a cold/flu-like virus if they had been scientifically designed for that purpose.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah may have been kilometres. It's right up near the oklahoma panhandle.

Article was about vaccine distribution.

And yes, there are remote places in Texas. But it isn't like Houston and Dallas are the only cities in the state. You've got Amarillo and Lubbock up in the panhandle, and they're both 200K and more in population. Sure, they aren't NYC or Chicago, but they aren't chopped liver, either.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Looks like the D/FW Metroplex is slated to get @250,000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine by mid-December. That’s enough to vaccinate about 1/60th of the area’s population. Right now, they’re hammering out who will be first in line.

Zardnaar

Legend
And yes, there are remote places in Texas. But it isn't like Houston and Dallas are the only cities in the state. You've got Amarillo and Lubbock up in the panhandle, and they're both 200K and more in population. Sure, they aren't NYC or Chicago, but they aren't chopped liver, either.

Bigger than where I live it's only 120k.

I like small places as well always worth a look.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A survey of epidemiologists had some interesting answers.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Looks like the D/FW Metroplex is slated to get @250,000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine by mid-December. That’s enough to vaccinate about 1/60th of the area’s population. Right now, they’re hammering out who will be first in line.

As of Dec. 1, the CDC recommendation is: "When a COVID-19 vaccine is authorized by FDA and recommended by ACIP, vaccination in the initial phase of the COVID-19 vaccination program (Phase 1a) should be offered to both 1) healthcare personnel and 2) residents of long-term care facilities."

Remove ads