D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
then it is a good thing that my formula did not say anything like that…
Just your exampes I guess. Called avatar a flop if it made 300 million box office - not considering any other revenue streams. Your words don’t match up with your declared definitions.

mamba

Legend
Just your exampes I guess. Called avatar a flop if it made 300 million box office - not considering any other revenue streams. Your words don’t match up with your declared definitions.
Given that it cost supposedly 1000M to make, I’d say at <300M at the box office, all the other revenue streams cannot turn it around any more

This is not the same as ignoring the fact that there are other revenue streams.

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Explorer
I would argue that making a follow up to.. a live action noir-ish detective story featuring pokemon...after you've adapted the only game where such a story takes place...

is.. perhaps..

more of a challenge than following up on a vanilla fantasy genre heist movie based a game with 50 years of content developed for it

Honestly I don't think coming up with ideas for a story or the lack of a sequel for the game is a big issue for Detective Pikachu 2.

I think it's a really good comparison just because it's another big IP (honestly Pokemon and Pikachu are probably much better known with the general public than Dungeons and Dragons) with a similar budget to Honor Among Thieves. Obviously they're from different studios but with the Detective Pikachu sequel not getting much momentum I don't think Honor Among Thieves sequel will either when it comes in with lower final box office numbers.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Given that it cost supposedly 1000M to make, I’d say at <300M at the box office, all the other revenue streams cannot turn it around any more

This is not the same as ignoring the fact that there are other revenue streams.
So you see how your silence on the other revenue streams made it appear you were claiming only the box office mattered for avatar 2?

mamba

Legend
So you see how your silence on the other revenue streams made it appear you were claiming only the box office mattered for avatar 2?
no, I do not see that. I just explained that the other revenue streams would be unable to compensate for such a low box office number. What I do see is that you want these things spelled out while I considered it obvious

I gave you my criteria for a flop, and it is not box office only. Not once did I say HAT is a flop. So can we now lay this pretense about what I supposedly meant by not spelling out every little detail to rest?

Last edited:

Honestly I don't think coming up with ideas for a story or the lack of a sequel for the game is a big issue for Detective Pikachu 2.

I think it's a really good comparison just because it's another big IP (honestly Pokemon and Pikachu are probably much better known with the general public than Dungeons and Dragons) with a similar budget to Honor Among Thieves. Obviously they're from different studios but with the Detective Pikachu sequel not getting much momentum I don't think Honor Among Thieves sequel will either when it comes in with lower final box office numbers.
I think qualitatively, the two movies have verrrrry different characteristics.

Detective Pikachu fits in the "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" category of movies that work despite premises that are kinda bat guano.

D&D fits in the category of well-trodden fantasy ground meets well-trodden heist movie ground.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases