D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

Vaalingrade

Legend
This is truly baffling, honestly, and I wonder if Kira was added late in the production cycle? What version of the movie were those early trailers based on? Doesn't seem like there was that much reshoot for this movie either?

Maybe DnD is one of those movies that saved in the the Editing room and the whole 'we stole the wrong thing for the wrong people' realization added too much exposition and they just let people figure out the Red Wizard's plan on their own? I don't think the characters ever realize that Sofina got the horn from the Harper heist.
To the point the horn isn't named in the movie.

The trailers have to have come really early in the production cycle, because Kira and talk of her is like 30 minute of this film's run time and links into Holga's story so hard both literally and thematically, I have a hard time thinking she was a late edition. I will say, her and Forge's connection might be a late edition, for reasons I'd go into in the spoiler thread.

Zardnaar

Legend
From an industry magazine or website?
Not even the clickbaity ScreenRant has said that. The only people holding that position declared it a flop before it was released.

I did see one video declearing it a flop before release or on its opening week.

They used math though on its projected box office it could only lose 18.6% per week every week. Typically movies lose around 40%.

Basically it needed a way bigger opening, a cheaper budget a virtually impossible drop off rate or be one of those very rare movies that make more week 2 than week 1.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Here's SyFy talking about a new show set during the Satanic Panic

Written by Matthew Scott Kane (Stitchers), Hysteria! boasts a bevy of behind-the-camera talent that also includes executive producers John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein, fresh off the success of their film Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves.
"fresh off the success"
Industry absolutely LOVES Honor Among Thieves

Zardnaar

Legend
As a reminder, the person who started this thread said that they were wondering if the movie would be a financial success.
The box office isn't the only relevant data point on that.

It's a big obe though. No one gas access to all the other financial stuff but steaming etc doesn't pay as much as you think. Especially for movies that under perform at the box office.

Hit movies though all the other income streams are gravy. Here it's going to have to plug the hole left by HAT performance at the box office.

No one here can claim that income is going to be enough. There's likely going to be a 100 million hole to plug though. Could be even more.

Thread titles hit or flop. It's not a hit. And it's not gonna fall in that Grey zone where other income streams can drag it over the line.

Tgat basically leaves merch sales. Merch sales on flops don't tend to be that high.

Zardnaar

Legend
I assure you that Hasbro doesn't think that D&D book sales and licensed toy sales are gravy

Merch sales on a flop don't tend to be that great.

Nor does that put more money in Paramounts pocket.

Hasbro might make money but it's gonna leave a stench in Hollywood.

Not sure who paid for the marketing but Hasbro might only lose 25 million or so on the movie at the box office. Someone's losing 75 million on top of the 25.

That's where Hollywood accounting comes in who loses what.

Other point is if Amazon is selling more D&D products thanks merchandising then they could be interested in the franchise, or other IPs by Hasbro.

I suggest we should await until the people who went to watch Mario Bros dare to watch other movie.

Zardnaar

Legend
Other point is if Amazon is selling more D&D products thanks merchandising then they could be interested in the franchise, or other IPs by Hasbro.

I suggest we should await until the people who went to watch Mario Bros dare to watch other movie.

That will be around two weeks away D&Ds 4th or 5th weekend.

Box off inertia is basically set in stone at this point only question is how much will the final result be. Can probably make sone guesses after this weekend right now there's only best and worst case scenarios from here on out.

Remove ads