D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Synopsis Namechecks Harpers, Red Wizards, and Neverwinter [UPDATED - MAYBE NOT?]

A précis of the Dungeons & Dragons movie has appeared as part of its copyright registration, confirming it's set in the Forgotten Realms. The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant, and Rege-Jean Page. An ex-Harper turned thief escapes from prison with his partner, a female barbarian, and reunites with a no-talent wizard and a druid new to their team in an...

A précis of the Dungeons & Dragons movie has appeared as part of its copyright registration, confirming it's set in the Forgotten Realms.

The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant, and Rege-Jean Page.

An ex-Harper turned thief escapes from prison with his partner, a female barbarian, and reunites with a no-talent wizard and a druid new to their team in an effort to rob the cheating conman who stole all their loot from the heist that landed them behind bars, and used it to install himself as the Lord of Neverwinter. Only the traitor is allied with a powerful Red Wizard who has something far more sinister in store.

UPDATE -- Screenrant reported on the same story but has since posted: "Screen Rant has confirmed the below Dungeons & Dragons movie synopsis is not accurate." They haven't said any more or indicated how they've confirmed that.

hopeless

Adventurer
Which of the cast is going bald, but Valindra being involved would be GREAT!
As a lich she can assume any form she wants.
Not sold on Hugh Grant playing Neverember, but what the heck as long as its good!

Dire Bare

Legend
That was my first thought as well, but I don't think Neverember, tyrant though he is, can be described as a "cheating conman." So either they're playing fast and loose with his character, or it's someone else. Either they invented their own Lord of Neverwinter, or the movie is set in some time period other than the present.
It's also possible, like the MCU movies, that the D&D Cinematic Universe will be inspired by the TRPG, but not part of the same canon.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Huh? The Forgotten Realms has been around since 1st Edition. If you're referring specifically to the city of Neverwinter, that's been around longer than 4th Edition also.
I think Jacob referred to the 4e take on the city, with the huge presence of Thayvian agents in the setting trying to use the ruined city as a foothold in the west.

So, I reckon it goes something like this:

• Chris Pine - Ex-harper thief
  • Michelle Rodriguez - Barbarian
  • Hugh Grant - Forge Fletcher, Lord of Neverwinter (high charisma rogue)
  • Regé-Jean Page - inept Wizard *
  • Sophia Lillis - Doric the Druid *
  • Justice Smith - Red Wizard *
  • Chloe Coleman - annoying kid

Or maybe not?

* I've put stars where we don't have any info on the character's gender. Really, those three roles are all interchangeable without more info.
This is close to my guess.

The Red Wizard is hard to pin down. I think Smith and Lillis are too young and nice to work as Red Wizards for an audience who has never seen a Red Wizard before.

Which would suggest if the Red Wizard's casting is public, then it's pretty much got to Regé-Jean. I mean, he's pretty damn hot and shaving his head isn't going to end that, and he might want to even this early in his career be looking to have horizons broader than "romantic lead". This would make Smith "inept wizard", a role that he'd likely excel at.

It's also possible that Regé-Jean's the conman who became the Lord of Neverwinter, because he certainly do "charismatic" and "talk the hind legs off a donkey", and that would make Hugh Grant the Red Wizard.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The way Justice Smith played his character as the lead in Detective Pokemon makes him seem much more inline with the "inept wizard" type than the Red Wizard type. Whereas Rege-Jean I can see certainly being the evil wizard. Plus just based upon time of casting... Justice was cast much earlier in the process than Rege-Jean, so that possibly implies they wanted to get the "band" together first-- Pine, Rodriguez, and Smith-- in order to get their comraderie as actors going as well as get those group scenes filmed first. If the Red Wizard is a secondary character next to the lead Neverwinter con artist (which has Hugh Grant written all over it)... then it makes sense it didn't need to get cast as quickly and would explain why Rege-Jean Page was cast later in the process.

hopeless

Adventurer
Valindra Shadowmantle would be a nice antagonist for that movie.

Edit: I think the way Neverember weaseled his way into being the Lord Protector of Neverwinter as some kind of far relative to the lost Alagondar crown is the perfect definition of ''cheating conman''.

Maybe him and the party are in a race to find the lost crown of Nasher Alagondar to crown a new lord of Neverwinter, with Valindra who desire the crown for herself to to give to Szass Tam.
Hold on they didn't say what loot their former friend stole before getting them jailed... could that have been it?!

Remove ads

Remove ads