D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Synopsis Namechecks Harpers, Red Wizards, and Neverwinter [UPDATED - MAYBE NOT?]

A précis of the Dungeons & Dragons movie has appeared as part of its copyright registration, confirming it's set in the Forgotten Realms. The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant, and Rege-Jean Page. An ex-Harper turned thief escapes from prison with his partner, a female barbarian, and reunites with a no-talent wizard and a druid new to their team in an...

A précis of the Dungeons & Dragons movie has appeared as part of its copyright registration, confirming it's set in the Forgotten Realms.

The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant, and Rege-Jean Page.

An ex-Harper turned thief escapes from prison with his partner, a female barbarian, and reunites with a no-talent wizard and a druid new to their team in an effort to rob the cheating conman who stole all their loot from the heist that landed them behind bars, and used it to install himself as the Lord of Neverwinter. Only the traitor is allied with a powerful Red Wizard who has something far more sinister in store.

UPDATE -- Screenrant reported on the same story but has since posted: "Screen Rant has confirmed the below Dungeons & Dragons movie synopsis is not accurate." They haven't said any more or indicated how they've confirmed that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
OK, but how is that "subversive?" That just seems to be the norm with such action-adventure films. "Subversion" involves different from the norms. Heathers and Donnie Darko were subversive, MCU and Pirates are not.
You might be surprised at how often the word "subversive" comes up in copy regarding the Marvel movies. For the PG-13 general audience that WotC and Paramount are aiming at, Guardians of the Galaxy is a subversive take on science fiction, and Captain America: the Winter Soldier is a subversive take on Thrillers.

• Chris Pine - Ex-harper thief
  • Michelle Rodriguez - Barbarian
  • Hugh Grant - Forge Fletcher, Lord of Neverwinter (high charisma rogue)
  • Regé-Jean Page - inept Wizard *
  • Sophia Lillis - Doric the Druid *
  • Justice Smith - Red Wizard *
  • Chloe Coleman - annoying kid

Pine as the thief for sure. Rodriguez as the barbarian maybe. Lillis could also be playing a young, in-training barbarian, and Rodriguez could be the Red Wizard. Page is a tough one and yes, I think will be the inept wizard. Making him or Smith the thief, barbarian, or evil wizard seem too stereotypical, and I am sure they will avoid that at all costs. Plus, they do not want to put a younger actor as the inept wizard or it will feel like the character from the D&D cartoon or the one from The Last Unicorn. So at the risk of another black actor as potential comic relief, I think Page is the wizard. That leaves the druid role for Justice Smith.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Pine as the thief for sure. Rodriguez as the barbarian maybe. Lillis could also be playing a young, in-training barbarian, and Rodriguez could be the Red Wizard. Page is a tough one and yes, I think will be the inept wizard. Making him or Smith the thief, barbarian, or evil wizard seem too stereotypical, and I am sure they will avoid that at all costs. Plus, they do not want to put a younger actor as the inept wizard or it will feel like the character from the D&D cartoon or the one from The Last Unicorn. So at the risk of another black actor as potential comic relief, I think Page is the wizard. That leaves the druid role for Justice Smith.
Smit as the Wizard, Page as the Druid. Rodriguez is absolutely the Barbarian.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
@mercufor context on what subversive may look like, this is a trailer for the previous film from the Writer/Director team making this movie:

Game Night is a movie that at first blush seems very straightforward and maybe formulaic, but it's fun and full of surprises. The writing and directing - and casting - chops on display there make me very optimistic about a D&D heist movie.

TheSword

Legend
Harpers, Red Wizards and Neverwinter. The immense feeling of warmth this tidbit generates in my shriveled stone heart is incredible. Not because I particularly like these things...

...but because I know how much it will enrage the Realms-Haters who play merry hell every time WOC releases anything for Forgotten Realms.

The D&D Movie is set on the Sword Coast!
Oh how I drink their salty tears...

... delicious

😈 😈 😈
☺️☺️☺️

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
As someone who just watched the new Mortal Kombat movie, which has a much less-well-known cast than this (and that's not dissing their skills, many of those actors are known for stunt-work), I can say that even a bad film can still be fun to watch. I don't regret watching it as it had some fun moments, and I don't think this movie will be worse than that one.

I'm doubtful this film will be amazing like in the tier of Guardians of the Galaxy, but if it hits the mark of "average Marvel movie" then we should all be happy with that result.

Remove ads

Remove ads