D&D 5E D&D Mythic Odysseys of Theros Previews!

Mythic Odysseys of Theros may have been delayed until the end of July for most of us, but Fantasy Grounds has revealed some (undoubtedly specially approved) previews for us to look at in the meantime!

Mythic Odysseys of Theros may have been delayed until the end of July for most of us, but Fantasy Grounds has revealed some (undoubtedly specially approved) previews for us to look at in the meantime!

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.14.05 AM.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
SO MUCH OF THIS.

I was really excited to get tapped to work on the Ravnica book because to me it was the first new D&D setting since Eberron and I'm one of the people constantly chanting the "new settings, not rehashes!" mantra. I mean, I was also stupid happy to get to redraw the maps from the Saltmarsh trilogy too because I'm an old school gamer, but seeing new settings coming out is EXACTLY what I want from D&D.

And then they tapped me again for Theros. :)

I understand there are limits to what you can say, but any NDA friendly anecdotes about working on this you can share?

Dire Bare

Legend
SO MUCH OF THIS.

I was really excited to get tapped to work on the Ravnica book because to me it was the first new D&D setting since Eberron and I'm one of the people constantly chanting the "new settings, not rehashes!" mantra. I mean, I was also stupid happy to get to redraw the maps from the Saltmarsh trilogy too because I'm an old school gamer, but seeing new settings coming out is EXACTLY what I want from D&D.

And then they tapped me again for Theros. :)

I enjoy seeing your maps no matter the product!

I get the frustration with seemingly contradictory calls for "new settings!" and "but not that!", but . . . . its not necessarily the same people calling out like that, although I know there are more than a few unwitting hypocrites in our hobby.

Many of us want our classic favorites updated to the new rules, some of us get excited about settings from other corners of the geek-a-verse (Magic!) translated to D&D, we all want to see something new that is so awesome we didn't know we wanted it until seeing it for the first time, and inevitably a setting will be released that doesn't push your buttons for whatever reason. The D&D fandom is far from monolithic, and that makes WotC's job hard when deciding how to expand the game . . . . hard but fun, it's a good problem/challenge to have!

I just think it's important to remind ourselves that not every setting has to appeal to us as individuals. If a setting comes out, a "rehash", reboot, translation, or something new . . . it's okay if we end up not caring for it all that much and take a pass on it. And not to get overly complainy and angry when a setting doesn't float our boats. It's also easier to enjoy new D&D settings going in with an open mind . . . . but that's tough for some fans. shrug

The settings that I like take D&D and put a different spin on it. Spelljammer is way out there with space ships and fantasy space-physics. Dark Sun eschews normal magic rules and revolves around fighting strange, alien creatures in a harsh environment with exotic mental powers. Eberron is somewhat vanilla but most settings don't have fantasy robots riding on magical trains in search of the Maltese Falcon or Ark of the Covenant.

I grew up steeped in Greek mythology but it's hard for me to get excited by this announcement. Why? Because pretty much everything from the themes, monsters, and the adventure styles in standard D&D are already straight out of Greek myth, so this seems at a glance like vanilla D&D with all of the beholders, illithids, and chromatic dragons pulled out. We're already saving princess from dungeons (Theseus), doing wondrous labors (Heracles), going on long episodic journeys (Odysseus), and collecting magic items to fight monsters (Perseus). The harpies, medusas, chimeras, cyclopses, titans, hydras and sphinxes are already in play.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
They hinted mythic monsters are an upgrade / improved legendary monster, so I imagine mythic actions are similar relatively to legendary actions

My take is that while Legendary Actions are used from a pool during the PCs turn, Mythic Actions while be taken from a pool of big-a** action a monster can take on its turn beyond attacking or casting a spell. More or less like a ''on recharge'' actions, but less random.

slobster

Hero
Mythic actions arent designed to be any better or more competitive than any other action, they are just meant to be more interesting or more complex, to allow the designers to explore new design space without having it impact each and every action for the more casual players.

reports that the new mythic actions will dominate the D&D meta in order to drive the sales of new randomized monster manual packs are just rank hysteria.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads