• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Damage on a missed attack roll

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I don't really have a dog in this substantive fight, but from a pure preference standpoint, I would prefer abilities that do more damage (or have other effects) on a successful "to hit" than abilities that do minor damage on a miss.
Tony called it a pure DPS but I think someone else pointed out it could be used tactically where an enemy was down pretty low making it an interesting choice.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but this caught my eye:
Oh my god the Rogue broke the game with a special ability that allowed him once in a while not take damage even though he is standing dead center in a fire ball
If you're talking about Uncanny Dodge, that doesn't work against fireballs or anything else that requires a saving throw.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
if you're talking about Uncanny Dodge, that doesn't work against fireballs or anything else that requires a saving throw.
In
d20 evasion

At 2nd level and higher, a rogue can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.​

In 5e
Rogue:
Beginning at 7th level, you can nimbly dodge out of the way of certain area effects, such as a red dragon's fiery breath or an ice storm spell. When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.

the Jester

Legend
When the hit table showed a 0 or negative number to hit the fighter would auto hit and negative numbers optionally converted to bonus damage.

I'm curious about where the 'negative numbers optionally converted to bonus damage' comes from- I can't find a reference to that anywhere. Was this maybe a house rule you guys used?

Ashrym

Legend
You know .... I tend to think the opposite.

Actual argumentation tends to take two forms:

1. Some sort of structured "debate" which should conform to a set of rules; or

2. A conversation between people with divergent viewpoints with an expected level of intellectual rigor and adherence to norms and a desire to ascertain both the other viewpoint and to learn what the better assertion is.

...the internet doesn't have that. More importantly, while learning about these sorts of fallacies can help in the day-to-day (for example, in understanding advertising!), they often hinder communication and conversation, because real conversation and persuasion relies on factors outside informal logic; moreover, by employing them, you usually end up arguing about arguing.

TLDR; the internet sucks.

The internet can suck. But does that mean the conversation between two people on it cannot fall into one or both of those categories? Not everyone on the internet is the same.

I'm also read comic books and join debating tournaments or challenges on Comicvine. They are structured with expectations like one would expect. People still suck sometimes but not always.

It turned out I like debating and I watch commercials, newscasts, polictical speeches, business presentations and more with a much more discerning perspective. And I can ask better questions. ;)

Remove ads