D&D 5E Damage on a missed attack roll

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think @lowkey13 is right; chase this idea far enough
That is called a slippery slope argument and its a fallacy for a reason.
Oh my god the Rogue broke the game with a special ability that allowed him once in a while not take damage even though he is standing dead center in a fire ball its the end of the world as we know it. Really Existential Musicians not withstanding

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Have you considered that there are, in fact, ample "slippery slope" mechanism;
If there is actually a propagation mechanism yes it is only situationally a slippery slope... ie there simply must be some reason that tons of mechanics like this will show up to ruin your game of slots .... other than the one you seem to think will stop it. People mostly liking the random element.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You refer to the fact that I accurately referred to another thread where people discussed the love they have of rolling dice as "[my] game of slots."
Nothing wrong with slots is just another random die roll things and I referred to it as yours because you were arguing in favor of roll dem dice, and yes your own argument says this mechanic would not and could not be a slippery slope,
Nor can you accurately point to my thread where you claim I used a slippery clope argument, because I didn't.

"chase this idea far enough, and the importance of making an attack roll (or any roll) diminishes to the point of being obsolete." - note you didnt type that. And it was right before my calling it a slippery slope.

Ashrym

Legend
*In case you were unaware, my biggest pet peeve of all my pet peeves are those people who mindlessly use "ad hominem," "strawman," "slippery slope" or other things they might have learned in Philosophy 101, but probably just saw in an internet discussion forum once, in a conversation. Because, duh. It is always better to discuss something than to mindlessly parrot tropes of argumentation that you don't really understand the application of.

School? I learned that stuff on the streets. Of the internet. Lurking through the back alleys of forums and taking a debeating if I got caught sharing an opinion forced me to toughen up. I walked my slippery slopes uphill both ways while strawmen launched ad hominems at me after I illustrated logic through arguments of the extreme to compare.

I needed to adapt to survive.

lol, I actually didn't know those term until discussing on the internet. I had to look them up and learn what they meant and how they applied. It also didn't take long to realize the terms can trigger people so simply responding with how the term applies usually works better. Usually.

Arguing on the internet has increased my critical thinking skills a lot because of it. ;)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
but not worth any approbation since it's acknowledged ("chase this idea far enough ...").
Ok yes he did acknowledge it was taking it to an extreme and in that sense I was wrong. I see this chase as only happening based on someone actually liking the effect (ie the actual mechanism for changes in your D&D right) and because of that not something to be super cautionary about ( and yes you can change it again).

13th Age pervasively uses damage on a miss it seems meh because it does not make the ability feel special like the rogues ability to dodge a fireball completely or that 1 out of many dozens of fighter abilities to damage on a miss. In other words I think they lost something by spreading it around.

But ironically 13A actually has other mechanics that sacrifice tactics to a die roll far more so than D&D 5e which allows you to decide many applications of superiority dice actually make them often reliable and always tactical and those are one of the reasons I would probably prefer 5e to 13A,

Remove ads