D&D 5E Damage on a missed attack roll

Ashrym

Legend
I'm curious about where the 'negative numbers optionally converted to bonus damage' comes from- I can't find a reference to that anywhere. Was this maybe a house rule you guys used?

Is it not in an optional rule right under the fighter hit table in your PHB?

"...the negative score may be converted to a positive and applied as additional damage to the automatic hit. Thus,
for example, a 20th level fighter with 19 strength and a +5 sword attacking an AC 2 dragon would require a roll of -8 to hit it; the character would be allowed to modify his or her damage roll by +8."

Given the paucity of decent argumentation skills I see in forums that should demand it in meatspace, color me unconvinced that the level of discourse improves on the internet. Well, that and personal experience since 1991 (MUDs for the win!).

Besides, I am not a big fan of the bus driver's holiday.

No offense, but that looks as dismissive as some of the comments you were arguing against. The level of debating skill isn't the point. It's the activity to increase that level of skill and a demonstration that your point 2 above is just as possible on the internet as it is in person. There are people on the internet who are open to real discussions too.

A person cannot say "because these people did not" means "these other people cannot". That's an example of a biased perspective applying the traits of one group to the other without justification.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You characterize something that you know people vehemently disagreed with as "innocuous" when you know that not to be true.
Sure tell me how are the subjective opinions of people NOT at his table not innocuous do you really think it calls for a warning label based on that? really?

Ashrym

Legend
What edition / PHB are you quoting?

1e PHB but it's a purchased clone pdf so I'm asking if that rule is missing from anyone else's PHB's. I sold my 1e collection years decades ago and no longer have my original, and it's been over 30 years since I was playing 1e. My memory is definitely not infallible.

Oh geez, you're one of those people.

How does that comment demonstrate that you are a better than the complaints you are making? Put yourself in my shoes and read that comment as if it were directed at you.

I don't get mad over a difference of opinion. Ever since I figured out I don't need the last word in a discussion to be correct what you'll find is if I am getting annoyed or think a discussion is getting emotional I just step away. ;)

If there is something in my tone that might off putting then I would ask that you read it in a different tone and see if it makes a difference. That's where I find the internet difficult at times. No body language and no voice to add.

Fine. In my experience, people that are both trained in actual classical rhetoric and have designated forums in which to do it, rarely to it well.

As such, it is exceedingly rare, given the HUGE number of people on the internet, and the volume of comments, to find someone doing it correctly here.

In fact, I usually can quickly see that the people determined to argue about arguing are the ones who are least equipped to understand these finer points.

So does your experience trump anyone else's experiences? Your experience is what your experience is, and I cannot say that I have not had bad experiences with open discussions on the internet because it is what it is. However...

"2. A conversation between people with divergent viewpoints with an expected level of intellectual rigor and adherence to norms and a desire to ascertain both the other viewpoint and to learn what the better assertion is."

This does not become impossible between people on the internet just because other people on the internet do not follow it any more than it would in a college lunch room.

But sure, that must be my "biased perspective." Whatever.

A long as a person applies the traits of what one person on the internet did to what a different person on the internet will do then it is, unfortunately. The actions or traits of one person are not the actions or traits of another person. That doesn't mean anyone's experience is invalid either. It shapes our perceptions.

It's off topic, however. If you want to discuss the acts of discussing I'm open to it. I just wouldn't want to derail this thread more.

Remove ads