• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDM: Chicks not in chainmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Clothed/Unclothed...I just want more minis with real polearms!

In all honesty, though, I do wish there was less cheesecake and more realistic warrior sculpts for female PCs.

Harem-themed attire for female mages, bards and the like, OTOH, is just dandy.;)

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
To get this back on topic, those six women (and most of the men) complain vociferously about the lack of clothed, heroic miniatures for their female characters.

I agree with them (and pawsplay). It's ludicrous how skewed miniatures tend to be in sex, and not just there but with regard to how they are often clothed. Obviously it's not the only factor, but I think it's just one more of the reasons why a number of women who might otherwise quite enjoy D&D don't get into the game - because it's often made patently obvious that they are not being considered part of the group this game is marketed to. Which, for me, is a huge pity. This is a great game about imagination and, to put it simply, fun. But excluding people (intentionally or not) on the basis of their gender isn't one of its best qualities.

Ktulu

First Post
Heh. Still waiting for Genasi: Any Soul, Any Gender

Enough drow to choke a horse, but the OTHER FR race...

They do have two; the fire genasi Dervish, and the Air Genasi flying-on-a-cloud-guy.

Both are from slightly older sets, but they're decent. The sculpt on the air genasi is awesome.

Ktulu

First Post
The issue, for me, is not finding every potential combo. The issue is, how about one female human who is holding a sword? The closest thing in the whole set is one female eladrin fighter (who does not look human, really).

Paladin of Torm (greatsword, human female)
Alusair Obarskyr (sword & Shield, human female)
Sword of Heironeous (sword & shield, human female)
Thayan Knight (human female, sword & Shield)
Kalashtar Bodyguard (human female, greatsword)
Devotee of the Silver flame (looks female, sword + shield)
Inspired Shock Trooper (female, magic sword + shield)

Figures that can pass as human:

Ghaele Eladrin (female w/ sword, no shield)
Storm Silverhand (elf female w/ sword and wand/rod/staff)
Bladesinger (elf female w/ sword)
Moon elf fighter (elf w/ helm so no ears, and possibly female, w/ sword & Shield)
Divine Crusader of Correlon (elf female sword no sheild)
Elf Warmage (female w/ dagger/shortsword)

That's just a cursory check basing on what "looked human" and was female. I didn't include any weapons other than sword (there are two ax weilding females, and at least 3-4 female wizard minis that can pass as human or are human, not to mention a number of female halfings, gnomes, and dwarves).

I'd say it's a decent number of minis, considering in 10 years of gaming, I've had two women in my group and both preferred to play elves.

Ktulu

Last edited:

Nebten

First Post
(although I bet they'll focus on the "optimized" combos first (like hafling rogues)), remember that a tremendous variety of miniatures are available in the broader market.

You would think so, but instead we have the dwarf rogue, halfling cleric, & dragonborn rogue. But I must say, that Hidden Blade power is pretty nice =v).

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
I don't experience this problem at all since my minis are hand selected and painted by me. Searching for certain race/sex/trappings combos can be a bit of a challenge but its part of the fun.

And, with a dremel, some green stuff, and a pieces drawer, you can just brute-force the combination you want.

And, with a dremel, some green stuff, and a pieces drawer, you can just brute-force the combination you want.

I save the conversion work for those really unique characters, like the female ogre, with a nose ring and pink handbag that I made for my wife. All that work and the character dies in the first couple sessions.:mad:

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
I save the conversion work for those really unique characters, like the female ogre, with a nose ring and pink handbag that I made for my wife. All that work and the character dies in the first couple sessions.:mad:

Reminds me of that KotDT storyline in which the players scam an entire run of minis of the figure of the one character, who lost a leg...and the minis turn out to be missing the wrong leg.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
If we just count classes and races that have appeared in print in PC versions, that's 17 classes ( 8 PH1 + 8 PH2 + 1 FRCS ) * 15 races (8 PH1 + 5 PH2 + 2 FRCS) * 2 genders = 510 minis. So I'm thinking no.

But when you consider that the exact specific combination is probably less important than something reasonably similar, you can cut into that.

Paladin and fighter - close enough, character in heavy armor
Cleric and Warlord - probably close enough, character in medium armor
Eladrin and Elf
Half-elf and Human - probably a little more controversial but do-able
Halfling and Gnome
Druid and Shaman
Wizard, Warlock, Sorcerer, and Invoker - a couple of light armored figs
Dragonborn male and female - if WotC put their heads on straight and dropped the breasts on a lizard (or even a monotreme)

There may be more you can easily blur together, from a reasonably-representative minatures standpoint.

So rather than 17 *15 * 2, you end up with something more like an upper bound of (11 * 12 * 2) - 11 (for the exised dragonborn sex) = 253ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads