• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 231 46.9%

Oofta

Legend
So all roleplaying that doesn't set up a dice roll is unnecessary and you strip it out? That's how you play?
Nothing in the rules requires role playing for anything a PC does. Some groups probably put minimal effort into it. People should play the game in a fashion that works for them. I happen to run heavy RP game, but that doesn't make my game inherently better or worse than anyone else's.

It also doesn't explain this odd non sequitur of how background features works. Whether you pull out an egg timer and require a minimum of 3 minutes of RP before granting an audience to the Duke of Earl or just tell the DM out of character that you want an audience the result is unchanged. The PCs could be leading a rebellion against the duke, spent several sessions thwarting the duke's plans, put up posters everywhere of him doing unmentionable acts with a donkey and a PC with a noble background can still get an audience with them if you strictly follow the rules.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Nothing in the rules requires role playing for anything a PC does. Some groups probably put minimal effort into it. People should play the game in a fashion that works for them. I happen to run heavy RP game, but that doesn't make my game inherently better or worse than anyone else's.

It also doesn't explain this odd non sequitur of how background features works. Whether you pull out an egg timer and require a minimum of 3 minutes of RP before granting an audience to the Duke of Earl or just tell the DM out of character that you want an audience the result is unchanged. The PCs could be leading a rebellion against the duke, spent several sessions thwarting the duke's plans, put up posters everywhere of him doing unmentionable acts with a donkey and a PC with a noble background can still get an audience with them if you strictly follow the rules.
I mean, as duke I would happily allow the leader of the rebellion into my castle alone. Then after he's arrested, thrown in the dungeon under the castle, and suitably beaten and tortured, I'd go down and gloat, giving him that audience. ;) :devilish:

mamba

Legend
So all roleplaying that doesn't set up a dice roll is unnecessary and you strip it out? That's how you play?
I said nothing about how I play, I said the rules do not require it, it does not even make a difference

So you are requiring it, decide a DC and then roll? That is in contradiction to the feature…

The PCs could be leading a rebellion against the duke, spent several sessions thwarting the duke's plans, put up posters everywhere of him doing unmentionable acts with a donkey and a PC with a noble background can still get an audience with them if you strictly follow the rules.
Actually that is a good use of the feature. You as a noble will be able to get a meeting even in times of trouble.

Even today in war, there may be diplomatic meetings to resolve the issue away from the battlefield.

And if you really want an audience after making so much trouble, the duke might decide, that after the audience you are either arrested or might just vanish...

mamba

Legend
I mean, does it really matter. The main issue is that it works 100% according to what is written. Does it really matter that the player has to go through a modicum of roleplay or not.

Player: "I walk up to the farmer and say, "My name is Diego Toyota. My friends and I need a place to stay."
Farmer: "I have heard of you and how you saved the town of Getmy from the rampaging goat. And of how you saved Tilly from the rat that chased her up onto the table. You and your friends may stay in my barn for the night."
agreed, that is not much better than just saying ‘I ask the farmer for a place to stay’, really nothing required here

Oofta

Legend
I mean, as duke I would happily allow the leader of the rebellion into my castle alone. Then after he's arrested, thrown in the dungeon under the castle, and suitably beaten and tortured, I'd go down and gloat, giving him that audience. ;) :devilish:

That assumes that the duke believes they'll survive an encounter. If the duke is typical nobility, they may have zero ability to defend themselves and while precautions can be made those PCs can be a tricksy bunch. Never have a villain make a personal experience unless you want to have the possibility of the players figuring out a way to take them out. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads