D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 245 54.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 206 45.7%

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
2007 called.

Sheesh. A grand total of FOUR martial powers, spread across different classes, could compel a target like Come and Get it. FOUR. Out of several HUNDRED powers.

But, apparently, somewhere around 1% of the game borrows from WOW and that's enough to be "much heavier on the game side in ways that were obviousoy trying to be a TTRPG interpretation of WOW"? Give me a break. The fact that you actually CAN'T do a 4e real time video game and still be true to the mechanics shows just how far wrong you are in this.

1%. That's all it took apparently. 1% is all it takes to make D&D into a tabletop video game. Who knew? Never minding that things like Come and Get It, ARE IN 5e.

Since it was only "four out of several 100" and thus an inconsequential amount, would be fine with nuking them from 4e then if it ever came back? If not, what about them makes them un-nukable?

-----------

Tangentially, did 4e let monsters and NPCs use those handful of powers on PCs? If not, do you recall the reason? If so, was there any hubub about usurping player autonomy?

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The fact that you actually CAN'T do a 4e real time video game and still be true to the mechanics shows just how far wrong you are in this.

Another tangent - Am I recalling correctly that one of the reasons touted as to why 4e isn't played more by those that love it that many think it is hard to do without computer support? (I could be misremembering). I love Beyond as a reference and am fine with VTTs. One of the things I would never want to happen is for the game to be viewed as unplayable without computer support.

Hussar

Legend
Since it was only "four out of several 100" and thus an inconsequential amount, would be fine with nuking them from 4e then if it ever came back? If not, what about them makes them un-nukable?

-----------

Tangentially, did 4e let monsters and NPCs use those handful of powers on PCs? If not, do you recall the reason? If so, was there any hubub about usurping player autonomy?

Well to be fair, monsters didn’t have class powers in 4e. But there were all sorts of compels for pcs.

As far as nuking the powers. Sure? I mean it was so trivial that no one would likely notice. It was far more the rallying cry of the edition warrior than anything of substance.

Of course since we’re talking about one power in a class that by the tail end of 4e had well over two thousand powers, it’s not really something to get too upright about.

Certainly not something to drag up more than ten years later as “proof” of anything.

Hussar

Legend
Another tangent - Am I recalling correctly that one of the reasons touted as to why 4e isn't played more by those that love it that many think it is hard to do without computer support? (I could be misremembering). I love Beyond as a reference and am fine with VTTs. One of the things I would never want to happen is for the game to be viewed as unplayable without computer support.

Some people claimed it was just possible to play without the character builder. Note that only applied to actually making characters and had zero impact on play.

And it was no more true in 4e than in any other edition. Using the character builder was useful but hardly required.

1%. That's all it took apparently. 1% is all it takes to make D&D into a tabletop video game. Who knew? Never minding that things like Come and Get It, ARE IN 5e.
It is not the 1%. Those 1% are just the poster childs for what felt off in the game for many people.

Many of us have played the game and tried to make it work. And it did not. Not in 2007. In 2012. After 5 years of playing the game we are allowed to have an opinion.

Last edited:

Some people claimed it was just possible to play without the character builder. Note that only applied to actually making characters and had zero impact on play.

And it was no more true in 4e than in any other edition. Using the character builder was useful but hardly required.
In 4e it was way more needed than in 5e or 3e. 2000 feats or more IIRC? 100s of powers as you said.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I suggest to you that there are lots of parts of the game where you play things out even when RAW the outcome isn't in question. Travel, perhaps, or conversation, or exploring a ruined house that isn't actually haunted.
For none of those do the RAW have anything to say on the matter.

The DM might know that the outcome isn't in question, but the RAW don't care because in these cases the rules have left it up to the DM to determine. This is significantly different than these backgrounds, where the RAW clearly pre-determine the outcome and in so doing override whatever the DM might think makes sense.
Also, the rules say that these abilities work, but they don't say there are never any complications.
That they work implies in general that there are no complications, in 5e-speak.

Complications only come when something doesn't fully work, i.e. a fail on the roll. Here, the "roll" is auto-success, thus no complications.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter

The problem wasn't just the builder, but all the other online resources that vanished when Wizards pulled their D&D tools. All the stuff in all the books was online, with current errata, but also the online Dragon articles which added more options, like the Class Acts. You went from having a fairly complete game to whatever materials you had laying around. Now, certainly, those resources are available again, but it was quite awhile before that was true at the time, and many groups just moved on.

Remove ads