• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 231 46.9%

Zardnaar

Legend
Just to be clear I liked a lot of aspects of 4e and had fun playing it for years. Combat took too long for me, but that was my only major complaint and I think it's unfairly maligned. Particularly some of the sourcebooks and adventures.

I liked elements of it in SWSE. Numbers still to bloated though so would 5E BA it.

. For what it was offering though already gad that in 3.5 in that miniatures gane. Spent thousands on that.

It was a spin off thing where you could play a cane in an hour. Sone parts of it I woukd add to Zards Greatest hits D&D or hypothetical 10 level d20 game with AE.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
This is the weak part of your argument. You claim combat encounters are the main way to deplete resources, and therefore imply that only combat encounters matter and only combat encounters need to be attended to.

However, if players are leveling up by means of social encounters,
Stop right here. This is the crux. Everything else you wrote was based on a flawed assumption that I'm talking about leveling because your system conflates leveling and resource recharge.

I'm not.

You 100% cannot make a point to me when you are bringing leveling into it. I'm talking explicitly about resource recharge.

If you can't separate leveling and resource recharge, then the flaws in the resource recharge will continue, just from a different source than the overnight long rest. Because leveling from X sources of varying resource attrition is not the same X sources of meaningful combat encounters worth of resource attrition. Flat out. And I see no reason to house-rule to fix a big issue if it won't actually fix the issue.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Stop right here. This is the crux. Everything else you wrote was based on a flawed assumption that I'm talking about leveling because your system conflates leveling and resource recharge.

I'm not.

You 100% cannot make a point to me when you are bringing leveling into it. I'm talking explicitly about resource recharge.

If you can't separate leveling and resource recharge, then the flaws in the resource recharge will continue, just from a different source than the overnight long rest. Because leveling from X sources of varying resource attrition is not the same X sources of meaningful combat encounters worth of resource attrition. Flat out. And I see no reason to house-rule to fix a big issue if it won't actually fix the issue.
The leveling refers to how many encounters are possible. Thus how two Long Rests relate to it mathematically.

It is all about the number of encounters per level.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Encounters per level? What is this madness?

Encounters Per Level is what the 5e math actually looks like. It is simpler and more beneficial to count off the number of encounters until the next level up, instead of xp and instead of milestones.

Here are two charts calculating the number of encounters, using slightly different criteria but obviously comparable.

5e Encounters Per Level (Old Guy Gamer).png

5e Encounters Per Level.png

Once you see what the game math expectation looks like, your table can tweak it to taste.

For us, I organize it by tier. Level 1 requires about three encounters and after the third encounter advances to level 2.

• Student: level 1 (3 encounters), 2 (6 encounters), 3 (9 encounters), 4 (12 encounters)
• Professional: levels 5 thru 8 (15 encounters each)
• Master: levels 9 thru 12 (15 encounters each)
• Grandmaster: levels 13 thru 16 (9 encounters each)
• Legend: levels 17 thru 20 (9 encounters each)

Math expects and I do drop back down to about 9 encounters per level for the highest tiers. However, I am hoping that 2024 Core will make the highest tiers really cool. If so, I dont want to zoom thru it, but savor the superheroic high tiers with about 15 encounters each.

Zardnaar

Legend
Encounters Per Level is what the 5e math actually looks like. It is simpler and more beneficial to count off the number of encounters until the next level up, instead of xp and instead of milestones.

Here are two charts calculating the number of encounters, using slightly different criteria but obviously comparable.

View attachment 347799
View attachment 347800

Once you see what the game math expectation looks like, your table can tweak it to taste.

For us, I organize it by tier. Level 1 requires about three encounters and after the third encounter advances to level 2.

• Student: level 1 (3 encounters), 2 (6 encounters), 3 (9 encounters), 4 (12 encounters)
• Professional: levels 5 thru 8 (15 encounters each)
• Master: levels 9 thru 12 (15 encounters each)
• Grandmaster: levels 13 thru 16 (9 encounters each)
• Legend: levels 17 thru 20 (9 encounters each)

Math expects and I do drop back down to about 9 encounters per level for the highest tiers. However, I am hoping that 2024 Core will make the highest tiers really cool. If so, I dont want to zoom thru it, but savor the superheroic high tiers with about 15 encounters each.

Gibberish to me. I give xp for 5 or 6 things you can level up on 0 encounters.

They've been trying since 2000. Square peg round hole imho.

mamba

Legend
I have no idea how those graphs were calculated, I assume XP budget for easy / hard / deadly encounter at each level and how many encounters of that XP it takes to gain a level.
Didn’t bother checking ;)

That the number of encounters drops after 10th level is bizarre. I understand that deadly encounters need to get drastically harder to remain deadly and therefore increase in XP, but it still makes no sense to me. Guess that means it should take more XP to level up…

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I have no idea how those graphs were calculated, I assume XP budget for easy / hard / deadly encounter at each level and how many encounters of that XP it takes to gain a level.
They were calculated by others (not me) by standard encounters at each level, their xp, and the xp required to level.

Despite being done by different people with slightly different criteria, the view from a distance is crystal clear.

That the number of encounters drops after 10th level is bizarre.
Yes. I vaguely remember a design goal for 2014 is to have an active gaming group be able to complete level 20 within one year.

Since they knew most players didnt reach the high level, most of the time was assigned to the "sweet spot". Then the high tiers were cut short to make it to 20 by the end of the game year.

I understand that deadly encounters need to get drastically harder and therefore increase in XP, but it still makes no sense to me. Guess that means it should take more XP to level up…
In the second chart, the more xp an encounter is worth, which correlates with hard and deadly combat encounters, means fewer encounters are necessary to reach the necessary amount of xp.

I give xp for 5 or 6 things you can level up on 0 encounters.
Do you mean you give xp for zero combat encounters, or zero encounters of any kind?

Zardnaar

Legend
They were calculated by others (not me) by standard encounters at each level, their xp, and the xp required to level.

Despite being done by different people with slightly different criteria, the view from a distance is crystal clear.

Yes. I vaguely remember a design goal for 2014 is to have an active gaming group be able to complete level 20 within one year.

Since they knew most players didnt reach the high level, most of the time was assigned to the "sweet spot". Then the high tiers were cut short to make it to 20 by the end of the game year.

In the second chart, the more xp an encounter is worth, which correlates with hard and deadly combat encounters, means fewer encounters are necessary to reach the necessary amount of xp.

Do you mean you give xp for zero combat encounters, or zero encounters of any kind?

I give xp for combat, roleplaying, quests, exploration, retrieving magic/story items, and gp for OSR games.

So yeah you can level up with 0 combat. 3/5 did that last week.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I give xp for combat, roleplaying, quests, exploration, retrieving magic/story items, and gp for OSR games.

So yeah you can level up with 0 combat. 3/5 did that last week.
Me too.

For me these are combat encounter, exploration encounter (including magic item hunt and quest), and social encounter.

So, these kinds of encounters count toward the number to level up.

For roleplaying, I award Inspiration d20.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads