• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 231 46.9%

Zardnaar

Legend
Me too.

For me these are combat encounter, exploration encounter (including magic item hunt and quest), and social encounter.

So, these kinds of encounters count toward the number to level up.

For roleplaying, I award Inspiration d20.

I don't keep track of encounters and reward player creativity as long as it's on point.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The leveling refers to how many encounters are possible. Thus how two Long Rests relate to it mathematically.

It is all about the number of encounters per level.
No, you are doubling down on a dash into Garbage in Garbage out territory & trying to make claims about combat balance based on the output of unrelated datapoints after your faulty datapoint was explained. To summarize your mistake using a real world analogy we can use a similar game that uses an extreme level of data crunching which still falls far short of what you are trying to claim. To answer why those logs (example) are important in that game I can quote the linked how to "Combat logs unequivocally tell you what happened during an encounter. Whether someone was in the right (or wrong) position, was hitting the correct target, using the right talents and gear, how much healing they did, whether they used a healthstone, if a cooldown was used or healing received before a big hit, who interrupted, and even simply as a means of competition - comparing which group killed the boss the quickest, or which player managed the highest DPS/HPS on that particular encounter. Logs tell us all of these things, and Warcraft Logs makes reading them possible". They get used for analysis of encounters and analysis of an adventure analog known as a raid, but not really for ranking levels outside possible extreme niche cases.

If you are going to make efforts to link something like "encounters per level" to combat balance between classes & how dofferent classes are impacted b the GM making efforts to correct for the reprehensible 6-8 medium to hard encounter adventuring day that PCs are designed around there are a bunch of equally critical statistics you need to consider first. Some of those are chips per turn, salsa per session, pizza per module, spells per cocktail, & pencils per edition,
but there are no doubt many many more examples of X per Y that are more relevant than "encounters per level"

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
That the number of encounters drops after 10th level is bizarre. I understand that deadly encounters need to get drastically harder to remain deadly and therefore increase in XP, but it still makes no sense to me. Guess that means it should take more XP to level up…
It's encoded in the rules. Getting from 10th to 11th requires the most XP of any level in 5e, going from 11th to 12th requires much less XP.

TwoSix

I don't keep track of encounters and reward player creativity as long as it's on point.
It's fine if you handwave it, because most people do (myself generally included).

But realizing that encounters (and everything you do in the game that isn't freeform intraparty dialogue and equipment/resource management is an encounter) give an average number of XP, and that means XP/level can be converted into encounters per level, is just basic math, and something that's presented right up front in the system rules.

mamba

Legend
It's encoded in the rules. Getting from 10th to 11th requires the most XP of any level in 5e, going from 11th to 12th requires much less XP.
yes, that is a stupid dip at 11th level, but your number of encounters stays there while the XP per level increases and reaches new heights afterwards

TwoSix

yes, that is a stupid dip at 11th level, but your number of encounters stays there while the XP per level increases and reaches new heights afterwards
I don't mind it so much. If I had to pick one level I thought was the exact sweet spot for 5e, it would be 10th.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The leveling refers to how many encounters are possible. Thus how two Long Rests relate to it mathematically.

It is all about the number of encounters per level.
Your system is about encounters per level. Because leveling is based on number of challenges overcome, but different types of ways of overcoming challenges use different amounts resources therefore it's a flawed way of doing resource recovery.

Leveling based on overcoming X various types of challenges = all good.
Resource recovery based on overcoming X/3 various types of challenges = does not fix the problem since different challenges use different amounts of resources.

I'm not going to put in place a house rule that majorly adjusts the feel of the game to fix a problem with resource attrition and recovery if the house rule has the same type of issues where it's not based on resource usage. I'd rather do something like 13th Age's rule where it's just after X reasonable combats, with the DM adjusting if there are some minor or very large combats in there.

TwoSix

I'm not going to put in place a house rule that majorly adjusts the feel of the game to fix a problem with resource attrition and recovery if the house rule has the same type of issues where it's not based on resource usage. I'd rather do something like 13th Age's rule where it's just after X reasonable combats, with the DM adjusting if there are some minor or very large combats in there.
I'm a little confused. Are you advocating for a system where the rate of recovery is tied to the rate of resource usage?

mamba

Legend
I don't mind it so much. If I had to pick one level I thought was the exact sweet spot for 5e, it would be 10th.
I just don’t like it on principle, is there a justification why level 11 is easier to get? I’d expect becoming ‘more expert’ to continuously get harder

Same with the hard / deadly encounters per level. I do not like them dropping from 15 to 9 and then staying there until level 20

Well, all the more reason to use milestone levelling ;)

TwoSix

I just don’t like it on principle, is there a justification why level 11 is easier to get? I’d expect becoming ‘more expert’ to continuously get harder

Same with the hard / deadly encounters per level. I do not like them dropping from 15 to 9 and then staying there until level 20
11 isn't easy to get, it's actually the hardest level to get. That sort of makes sense since 11 is the start of tier 3, when classes get some major boons like 3rd attack, 6th level spells, another level of cantrip advancement, etc.

Remove ads