• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 231 46.9%

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sure, but how many kids doing sit down games do you think will run the basic 2024 rules over the 2014 books? I wouldn't. The books are far superior to the free basic versions that I've seen released.

Sure. But then you really only need one kid at the table with the book, and the rest have the online version to supplement.

Mind you, I think the worry over kids not being able to get the books is misplaced. In terms of inflation, today's $50 is say about $16 in 1984.

Which, interestingly, about matches. I think the PHB's 10th printing had a MSRP of $15 back in the 80s. The effective price of the book hasn't changed much, it seems.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Sure. But then you really only need one kid at the table with the book, and the rest have the online version to supplement.

Mind you, I think the worry over kids not being able to get the books is misplaced. In terms of inflation, today's $50 is say about $16 in 1984.

Which, interestingly, about matches. I think the PHB's 10th printing had a MSRP of $15 back in the 80s. The effective price of the book hasn't changed much, it seems.
It seems odd that only one would get the books. Thinking back to 1984 when I started playing in a larger group of 8 kids, we all had the books. Of course, that would anecdotally indicate that kids will find a way to get them if they really want them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It seems odd that only one would get the books. Thinking back to 1984 when I started playing in a larger group of 8 kids, we all had the books. Of course, that would anecdotally indicate that kids will find a way to get them if they really want them.
My experience has usually been that one person in a group gets any books, usually.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Right now in my current group, only one person owns the books (and has all the books). Myself and my roommate mostly rely on pdfs and online resources (I don't buy many physical books anymore, they take up too much space!). The other players, as near as I can tell, don't own a single book and just use the ones the first guy owns when they show up to game!

We're not going to switch to 5e part 2, Eccentric Bugaboo at the moment (we invested in ToV, we'll see how that goes), though I do plan on buying some Kobold Press books in physical form- not for my benefit, but just to be able to hand a physical book to a player at the game table.

Even though I play and run 5e (not by strict choice, mind, but what ya gonna do, game has to go where the players are), I've barely given WotC any of my money since the dreadful Tales From The Yawning Portal (which I have since passed on to some other poor bastich) and it hasn't affected me in the slightest.

We live in an age where there are many avenues to acquire the ability to play games that are way cheaper than plunking down 150 bucks for core books, and that's not going to be a barrier for anyone to play if they really want to. I imagine a future where everything has gone to a subscription model, much like Netflix- you pay for it when there's something new, then you cancel if it's not offering you anything.

One day we might not even have physical books anymore (a shame, but they will eventually become a luxury purchase). Hopefully, people will copy everything down so it doesn't vaporize someday...but even if so, after the apocalypse, a group of mutant gamers will still gather around some dusty books from mismatched games and editions and cobble together a game. And have a blast playing it.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
a lot, because it does not constantly happen to the same group of 5 people, it is spread around 8 billion
I don’t know what the highly improbable happening constantly to the same five people looks like to you. Maybe you could elaborate on that and how it interferes with the setting.

it has nothing to do with that, but that was either a strawman or nonsense anyway, so I ignored it. To be clear, the timing does not matter at all, I have no idea why you suddenly brought it up in the first place (only to never return to it)
If you don't understand my comments, I have no idea why you feel the need to respond to them as if you do.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
I don’t know what the highly improbable happening constantly to the same five people looks like to you. Maybe you could elaborate on that and how it interferes with the setting.

If you don't understand my comments, I have no idea why you feel the need to respond to them.
If you read the two paragraphs you wrote, there is a certain irony in your post…

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
this was not about how it is being established but about why your feature does not work in Ravenloft...
If it's a forgone conclusion it doesn't work, then why the questions about whether the Vistani can deliver messages for you?

as I wrote yesterday, so supposedly you will see this in a week or so, your feature not working when it does not make sense to / is highly unlikely to does not mean the game is a railroad
No, but the DM making that determination based on secret backstory only they possess is an effective tool for running one.

mamba

Legend
If it's a forgone conclusion it doesn't work, then why the questions about whether the Vistani can deliver messages for you?
that works both ways, for me it is obvious that it should not work. For you it seems clear that it always does, no matter what, hence the discussion. If everyone agreed then we would not be talking about this.

No, but the DM making that determination based on secret backstory only they possess is an effective tool for running one.
there is no secret backstory here, just lore that anyone has access to. The player knows as well as the DM that they are on a world they have never been to

Again, Ravenloft is just an example, you could end up on Krynn as well and nothing relevant would change about the scenario

Remove ads