• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 231 46.9%

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
IME when things are rough, people spend MORE on escapism. Recessions tend to be good for business at my Comic and Game store, as long as too many of my biggest customers don't lose their jobs (even then, it kind of evens out). That's what I've noticed over 30 years. 2008 was a boom year. So was 2021.

Right now things are a little tight(ish) but I don't think that would be true if publishers were putting out more compelling stuff. (I'm talking mostly Comic publishers here, but WotC is "between" what a lot of our customers will find exciting right now. The new PHB ought to change that.)
I've only been half following the economics stuff going on for the last few days, but I think @Maxperson has been trying to describe the impact of one problem by talking about something different. Since it's mercifully not about backgrounds... California NY and Florida have some of the most rent burdened cities in the us (iirc Vancouver is the top there in Canada). I'm pretty sure he's mentioned some of the top of the list California cities too.those areas often have a high percentage of Alice households because of rent burden too (he seems to have described them in some posts)

Your "when things get tough" comment implies a level of stability they just took a bad turn and that is pretty much a nice thought for those households. I'm not sure that I agree with some of his conclusions, but I definitely feel like there is some misstatements and confusion.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I've only been half following the economics stuff going on for the last few days, but I think @Maxperson has been trying to describe the impact of one problem by talking about something different. Since it's mercifully not about backgrounds... California NY and Florida have some of the most rent burdened cities in the us (iirc Vancouver is the top there in Canada).
Yeah, I live just outside of Vancouver. I'm from central Vancouver, but I couldn't possibly afford to live in the neighborhood where I grew up.

I'm pretty sure he's mentioned some of the top of the list California cities too.those areas often have a high percentage of Alice households because of rent burden too (he seems to have described them in some posts)
I think that I understood him. I think his main point was simply that though the $50 USD price on the new PHB may appear cheap in today's dollars, it's still a luxury that might be tough for people right now. I don't think he's wrong, per se, but I think that most people will find a way if they want the books. It could be tough, but they'll probably do it anyway.

Your "when things get tough" comment implies a level of stability
Wait...things being tough implies stability? I'm not sure I follow that idea.

they just took a bad turn and that is pretty much a nice thought for those households. I'm not sure that I agree with some of his conclusions, but I definitely feel like there is some misstatements and confusion.
My comments re: escapism and recessions being good for the game (and comic) business was meant more of an aside then a rebuttal.

Vaalingrade

Legend
That'll be in 10-15 years when they decide that 5e isn't "evergreen" enough.
It's not going to be that long. what we've got here is them essentially admitting the game isn't 'evergreen'. When they run out of old campaign settings and MtG planes to reprint, we'll get a 6e.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It's not going to be that long. what we've got here is them essentially admitting the game isn't 'evergreen'. When they run out of old campaign settings and MtG planes to reprint, we'll get a 6e.
Even an evergreen sheds its needles and grows new ones over time.

If-when we do ever get a true 6e my speculation is that it will a) be a huge departure* from 5e and b) will be sold side-along with continuing 5e rather than being an attempt at outright replacement.

* - what design/philosophy/style direction that departure takes is a very open question - could be anything.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I thought the decision was that this 5.5 was supposed to be the final update forever?

I don't actually believe that--at the very least, they'll make enough minor changes to warrant another major update like this--but I thought that was what their claim was.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Even an evergreen sheds its needles and grows new ones over time.

If-when we do ever get a true 6e my speculation is that it will a) be a huge departure* from 5e and b) will be sold side-along with continuing 5e rather than being an attempt at outright replacement.

* - what design/philosophy/style direction that departure takes is a very open question - could be anything.
Could you get away with multiple versions of D&D on the market simultaneously? The last time that happened didn't go over that well, as I recall.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads