• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 231 46.9%

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
You (generic) can promote 3pp material all you like, but in the eyes of a very great many if it's not official (as in, these days, WotC), it doesn't count. We're all outliers here in that we even know 3pp material exists.

I wonder if them now promoting some 3pp things on Beyond will change that at all.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
You (generic) can promote 3pp material all you like, but in the eyes of a very great many if it's not official (as in, these days, WotC), it doesn't count. We're all outliers here in that we even know 3pp material exists.

That, and I suspect WotC coming out with a re-done 1e (or BX, or even 2e) would quickly torpedo a large chunk of the OSR scene. Not sure it would have quite the same effect on the modern-indy scene were they to come out with a story-now D&D, but it'd be interesting to watch nonetheless.
Then I, for one, hope WotC stays out of the pool. I have nothing but respect for the effort that the OSR folks have put into their branch of the hobby. They neither need nor want WotC swimming in their pool. The only reason I can think of that someone might want that is to try to push more folks into playing older versions of the game. So much not my problem. Watching WotC come into the OSR scene and totally overwhelm it, just because of the brand, would be the worst of all results.

WotC already absolutely dominates the hobby. What's in it for WotC to try chasing the tiny sliver of other crowds out there? That's the entire raison d'etre of the OGL and now CC. So folks that want to have D&D outside of WotC can do so. While I might not always seem it, I'm very much in favor of the 3pp out there having the space to do their thing and would hate to see WotC try to hedge them out.

mamba

Legend
That's the entire raison d'etre of the OGL and now CC. So folks that want to have D&D outside of WotC can do so.
the reason is more that with the OGL / CC 3pps can create adventures and supplements for WotC's D&D, that they can also create competing TTRPGs is more of an 'unwelcome' side-effect

JEB

Legend
To the best of my knowledge, only 3e and maybe 5e are in CC. 4e still has its wiggedy quasi-license, and 0-1-2e can only be approached by bending the 3e CC sideways.
Only 5e is in CC - Wizards has promised to put earlier editions out under CC but hasn't done so yet. (You're probably thinking of the OGL for 3e.)

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
When dealing with anything in-game that characters do or can do, the rules are the social contract. If the rules say you can do it, you can do it; and if the rules aren't clear then you can (try to) do it until-unless someone or something tells you to stop.
The rules are part of the social contract but not the whole thing. For example, the rules of D&D say if you have an ignited torch in your hand and there's a troll within range, then you can throw the torch at the troll, but the social contract of some groups might include a prohibition on “metagaming” that governs whether or not that’s a permissible action declaration.

The rules also say you can have your character walk anywhere you want as long as there isn’t a wall in their way and a sufficiently stable surface exists for them to walk on, and there are rules for slowed speed if the character is travelling through difficult terrain, let's say a field strewn with small boulders. But what if the boulders are somewhat larger? At what point do they become impassable and, thus, constitute a "wall"? The rules don't tell us this because different groups imagining basically the same situation are going to come to different conclusions on where “I continue walking across the field of boulders” is no longer going to be considered a permissible action declaration based on different genre considerations, conceptions of character capability, preferences, etc.

Another example is, when I cast friends, the rules say I can choose a non hostile creature, to have advantage on Charisma checks directed at that creature. But what if, in casting that spell, I choose a creature that hasn’t yet been established in the fiction? Let’s say it has been established the party’s in a tavern, and I choose a heretofore unmentioned barkeep, hoping to gain some much needed information. For some groups, I think that would be permissible. But on the other hand, if I choose William Shatner, the famous actor, stipulating he's present in the tavern, so I can try to persuade him to give me the keys to the Enterprise, I think for many groups that would be beyond the pale.

In the example of the backgrounds under discussion, the specific problem is that the wording of the rules allows those features to work in nonsensical situations. Thus, the wording of those rules needs to be changed by houserule such that those features work as intended: to wit, when it makes in-fiction sense that they would work.

A smart DM catches and fixes things like this before play begins. That said, the designers shouldn't be making a DM have to do this work in the first place.
What specific wording do you have in mind?

mamba

Legend
I have absolutely no interest in playing it, but I cannot wait until a 4e SRD is released into CC for all kinds of folks on here.
I doubt there will be one. Did WotC say anything about doing so other than a very non-committal 'we will look into it' back during the OGL-mea-culpa-tour?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I doubt there will be one. Did WotC say anything about doing so other than a very non-committal 'we will look into it' back during the OGL-mea-culpa-tour?

Did 4e have an SRD?

1000004783.png

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads