• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 230 46.7%

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Yea, that’s the attitude that doesn’t make sense to me. We’ve had the 2014 paladin and 2014 GWM for 10 years. They haven’t broken the game. Why would they somehow becomes problems just because a new book is out?
Because a new book for what is ostensibly the same game with a class called "paladin" is out.

mamba

Legend
Yea, but that's the number one attitude I'm arguing against. It just doesn't make sense to publish books that are officially "compatible" and then not treat them like they're compatible
tell that to WotC, they insisted on bending over backwards when they should not have ;)

Kurotowa

Legend
One of the examples I use when people claim compatibility is that I'm going to use my 2014 paladin with his unlimited smites and the 2014 great weapon master feat in a 2024 game. 10 to 1 says I get turned down.
That's going to take some hashing out by the community to figure out standards. To my eye, it's not a problem as long as you use 2014 material all the way. No free 1st level Background feat or mixing in 2024 feats that all come with a +1 ASI, no using the revised 2024 Smite spells, no trying to wedge a 2024 era subclass in. It's all or nothing.

It's only if someone tries to cherry pick the best of 2014 and 2024 together that I'd see it as a real problem.

Yea, that’s the attitude that doesn’t make sense to me. We’ve had the 2014 paladin and 2014 GWM for 10 years. They haven’t broken the game. Why would they somehow becomes problems just because a new book is out?
Plenty of people disagree with that, and say the Paladin and GWM have been broken from the start. And it's only gotten worse as Xanathar and Tashas have added more multiclass combos.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Plenty of people disagree with that, and say the Paladin and GWM have been broken from the start. And it's only gotten worse as Xanathar and Tashas have added more multiclass combos.
Then they've had 10 years to house rule them! I've houseruled GWM in my own games.

If people are expecting the new books to be some fresh start where they don't have to worry about balance or power creep anymore, they're going to be sorely disappointed.

Then they've had 10 years to house rule them! I've houseruled GWM in my own games.

If people are expecting the new books to be some fresh start where they don't have to worry about balance or power creep anymore, they're going to be sorely disappointed.
Everyone doesn't have control of the house rules at the table. House rules are good, but things working out of the box is better.

I don't expect perfect balance from 5.5, but from what we've seen, one of the major design goals of the revamp is to improve balance.

Remove ads