• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 231 46.9%

mamba

Legend
I'm confused, didn't it take 9 years before the SRD for 5e was into the CC? And wasn't the OGL for 5e released 2 years after?
yes, what is confusing you?

Creating an SRD from the books takes time. For 3e they already have an SRD, releasing that under CC would take a day or two, as was demonstrated with the 5e SRD.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
yes, what is confusing you?

Creating an SRD from the books takes time. For 3e they already have an SRD, releasing that under CC would take a day or two, as was demonstrated with the 5e SRD.

I wonder if there are some things they might not want to set into the wild with CC (given that is less restrictive than OGL). Am I remembering right that there were a few in the 5e one they didn't want to let go? (Or maybe that rush put those few things into the wild already).

mamba

Legend
I wonder if there are some things they might not want to set into the wild with CC (given that is less restrictive than OGL). Am I remembering right that there were a few in the 5e one they didn't want to let go? (Or maybe that rush put those few things into the wild already).
the only thing I am aware of is the name Strahd, and clearly that had devastating consequences for WotC…

I assume they want to do more than slap a CC sticker on the SRD, but I have no idea about the extent of the intended review / changes

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
I am mostly going off 2e, fine, so there is a slight chance then, that does not really change anything about my argument that it is far from guaranteed / highly unlikely that you know messengers.
How is this different from the situation normally faced by adventurers without the relevant background feature?

Not sure why you think this is important to point out, it changes nothing relevant.
Because "Ravenloft" has been referenced in this thread as if its existence as an RPG setting is some kind of monolithic refutation of the validity of the 2014 background features. When @Oofta brought it up as an example of a common play experience where the background features were simply unusable in his opinion, he was talking about playing a game of Curse of Strahd, if I remember correctly. When I've asked for clarification about what's going on in the game to make the features unworkable, I've been told I don't know anything about Ravenloft or I wouldn't be asking those questions, so I'll just have to trust you and other people in the thread who tell me "because Ravenloft" is a good enough answer. And yet when I look at the actual book, the things you're telling me, that there are no caravan masters or messengers in Ravenloft that I could possibly know, that the Vistani can absolutely only ever travel between the Domains of Dread and never into the Material Plane, aren't supported by, and in some case directly contradict, the text of the adventure. So what it changes is you can't continue to act as if referencing Ravenloft tells me everything I need to know. You have to tell me what's actually going on in the game that make background features unusable if you want to make the arguments you're making.

it isn’t, It is not about Ravenloft at all, Ravenloft is just an example…
Well it's a crap example that doesn't tell me anything about what it is you're trying to say.

mamba

Legend
How is this different from the situation normally faced by adventurers without the relevant background feature?
it isn’t, neither one knows messengers here. Personally I’d say the criminal is faster at making new contacts, but that is not in the background as written

Because "Ravenloft" has been referenced in this thread as if its existence as an RPG setting is some kind of monolithic refutation of the validity of the 2014 background features.
it was used as a good example, not as the only case

Well it's a crap example that doesn't tell me anything about what it is you're trying to say.
if after countless pages you are still unclear on this, then that says more about you than about the example. I am not going to rehash anything now either, that would then be a waste of time

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
When it comes to putting older stuff into CC, they have very little motivation. Many of the people that are upset because it's not there will likely just be upset about something else. I can't think of any nefarious reason they'd hold back the 3.x stuff and I have no idea how much getting TSR era stuff ready would take but I don't think it would be insignificant.

So the benefit is close to zero and the potential risk is higher than zero. It's simple corporate math, they don't want to spend money in the form of people's time to review for minimal benefit. Old grognards are the only ones who likely care at this point and they aren't the target audience for significant growth or income anyway.

So measurable cost for hypothetical profit being close to zero equals delay until people need a filler project here and there.
If you're right, then by saying they plan to do it after 5.2 comes out they are at least being intentionally disingenuous, if not outright lying to the public. Is that your claim?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads