D&D General Do you play D&D (or other RPGs) with your family?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I met my wife at a gaming club while in college back in the late 1980s. We were playing a weekly Pathfinder game together until the pandemic hit and broke the group up. I am also running 5e D&D for my kids and their friends.
So, yeah, the whole family games in some way, shape, or form.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Just to be the bucket of cold water, but it doesn't have any more explanatory power than any other shared group hobby -- people meeting people doing activities they both like is the key, not that D&D has any special power in this regard.
Bah humbug! I challenge you to play with my group and not fall in love! 😁

Stormonu

Legend
Been playing RPGs with my wife since ‘93, and my kids since they were old enough to start showing interest (around 2012). Currently playing with all of them in a Sunday game.

I’ve also played with my own parents a couple times as well as several of my cousins Back in the 80’s.

jgsugden

Legend
Just to be the bucket of cold water, but it doesn't have any more explanatory power than any other shared group hobby -- people meeting people doing activities they both like is the key, not that D&D has any special power in this regard.
I'll disagree to an extent, at least with regards to some RPG groups - when we role play, we expose more of ourselves. That tends to create stronger emotional ties than less intimate activities. If your game is more of a strategy game ... not to much. if your game is story and character driven, more so.

Putting aside that offshoot - yes, I've been playing RPGs with my (just turned) 6 year old. We started off with just storytelling games where there was no luck element, then moved to a variant on Dread (which uses a Jenga tower instead of dice), and will next play a few mechanical board games like Mice and Mystics, Marvel United, etc... in which I'll ask him to 'voice' his character a bit. Then, in about 6 months, we'll take another shot at simple D&D. I have been enticing him with all my figures and terrain for years now...

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
In the 80s I got my few-years-younger sister to play Star Frontiers a bit.

My 12yo plays 5e in a game I run now for him and his friends. (Started him on B/X a few years ago). My other half has no interest in any games (like board games) that involve combat or violence any more personally than Battleship/Stratego or Clue.

Last edited:

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I'll disagree to an extent, at least with regards to some RPG groups - when we role play, we expose more of ourselves. That tends to create stronger emotional ties than less intimate activities. If your game is more of a strategy game ... not to much. if your game is story and character driven, more so.

Putting aside that offshoot - yes, I've been playing RPGs with my (just turned) 6 year old. We started off with just storytelling games where there was no luck element, then moved to a variant on Dread (which uses a Jenga tower instead of dice), and will next play a few mechanical board games like Mice and Mystics, Marvel United, etc... in which I'll ask him to 'voice' his character a bit. Then, in about 6 months, we'll take another shot at simple D&D. I have been enticing him with all my figures and terrain for years now...
What was it like playing Dread with a six-year-old???

Lyxen

Great Old One
I met my now Ex- wife in a LARP, and we did a bit of TTRGP, but she was not really into it. I however have played a lot with my daughters, nephews and nieces, took them all LARPing (a lot of them for my daughters), and even recently I ran a game for my eldest daughter, her partner and a few friends in the US, to which my third daughter participated from Canada as well. So yes, lots of family gaming in addition to friends.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I DM'd for my son and his friends until my son felt he was ready to take over.

Have a, not that regular, game I DM for my wife and son and even included my niece while she was staying with us for the summer.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8

Sure it does! You're probably just not casting the mind bondage spell correctly.

043.jpg

Remove ads