• No

Votes: 122 53.3%
  • Maybe? I could me convinced.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Lemon

Votes: 4 1.7%

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
No. I don't care for VTTs to begin with, as they throw in additional levels of technical complexity (i.e. it's not enough to know the game rules, you also need to know how the program works) and related issues. I kid you not, the last time my group tried to use one, I got complaints about how loud the clicking of my mouse sounded over the group chat. Plus, I question my computer's ability to handle any sort of intensive graphical output; it's not a gaming device in any sense of the word.

Clint_L

Hero
I would add a caution that this forum skews heavily grognard - many of us started this journey decades ago (shout out to 1979!). So we are probably not a great measure of how much potential this idea has. I will ask the kids in my D&D Club what they think.

And they are telling me that it might risk "losing the vibe," they don't like online play as much as in person play, they like that it would be more attainable and less wasteful than using miniatures and terrain like I do (they don't have a ton of money because they are high school students), and it might be fun but they would have to see how it is executed. So...pretty much what folks here are saying. Overall, I'd say they are skeptical that the execution will succeed, but not averse to the concept.

Last edited:

Steel_Wind

Legend
Yes and no.

Here's the issue: Because of the way that most 3d Art is implemented, its use usually creates a barrier to entry by those who are not well versed in it. What was a democratized, mass market product can instantly become an elitist tool beyond the technical skills of the Many and is reduced to the hands of a Few at a stroke.

This is not inevitable, but it is a likely outcome if not handled properly.

The best example of this is the difference between BioWare's NWN 1 toolset and Obsidian's NWN2 toolset.
BioWare's was tile based and easily accessible by Many. The number of community modules was vast. NWN2's used a free form mesh and objects instead of tiles. Visual fidelity was greater -- but the ease of use of the toolset plunged and there was suddenly a significant barrier to entry where before there was none. And so the Many became the Few.

So, I hear ya on not wanting 3d, but it's a more nuanced question than that. Not all 3d art implementations need create a barrier to entry - but MOST will. How it is handled and implemented is the more important question.

There is also the integration of current AI tools which are now exploding in the development process. Though those tools are not yet ready for consumer use, there is every reason to think that they will be within the next 3-6 months. If those tools make 3d assets, or at least, will render 2d images of 3d assets in a very useful way, that can impact on 3d VTT's (or 2.5D VTTs if implemented via isometric perspective.)

tl;dr: It's not as simple a question as you pose; it's more nuanced than that.

darjr

I crit!
I don't think I'd switch from Roll20 for VTT. I actually appreciate how crude the whole thing ends up looking in Roll20 because it means the players are still relying on me as DM to narrate and tell them what's around them. A 3D VTT, to me, crosses that line of making it feel more like a video game that the PCs are exploring.
That’s an interesting take. I think you hit on something for me.

Last edited:

Remove ads