• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does True Strike let you sneak attack a concealed opponent?

SteelDraco

First Post
The title pretty much says it all. The spell True Strike reads that you are "not affected by the miss chance that applies to attackers trying to strike a concealed target." So, would that be JUST the miss chance, or would it be the full effects of concealment, including the ability to do sneak attack damage?

My DMing instincts say no, but this came up at a recent game, and another DM and I in the group were discussing it. We decided to see what ENWorld thought, and thus here I am. My general thought was that since True Strike was quite specific on what it affected, that it's not supposed to apply to anything else. On the other hand, I don't think allowing it would be out of line.

Darklone

Sure. It's not worded unambigously since you only don't suffer the miss chance, but does it really make sense to have a strike that hits nearly always exactly where you want not being able to sneak attack because you don't see clearly what you will hit though the spell makes you hit...

Ah well. Logic says, you can sneak attack, the words would say you cannot.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Truestrike just removes any miss chance as a result of concealment. The target still has concealement, your only ignoring the miss chance as an effect of the spell. No sneak attack is possible as the target still has concealment but you just aren't "affected by the miss chance".

Thanee

First Post
I'd say no.

The reason for not being able to sneak attack is not the miss chance, that would make the rule for sneak attack and concealment rather unnecessary, as a missed hit will never result in a sneak attack, anyways.

The reason is rather, that you cannot clearly see the target, because of the concealment factor involved, and thus cannot clearly discern where to strike for a vulnerable body part.

True Strike guides your hand, so you strike your target, which you know very well, where it is positioned, but it does not enhance your perception.

By the rules, it is also clear, since True Strike does not remove the concealment, which is the only factor for sneak attack, the miss chance is irrelevant.

Bye
Thanee

dcollins

Explorer
Thanee said:
True Strike guides your hand, so you strike your target, which you know very well, where it is positioned, but it does not enhance your perception.

I don't have much opinion on the original question. However, on this particular point I'll just point out that it is a "Divination" spell that does provide an "insight" bonus. That gives a pretty good indication that the user is getting specific information in their brain from it (as opposed to an "enhancement", "luck", or "circumstance" bonus).

MerakSpielman

First Post
It seems that strictly speaking, the answer is NO.

Though I don't think this would come up so often in a game that it wouldn't be all right making an exception here and there, just to spice up a dull combat.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
As the text for true strike states: the target is concealed but the miss chance portion of the target's concealed state is negated by the spell. All other effects of concealment remain in effect, such as the inability to make a sneak attack.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads