• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Durn's War of Fire and Ice Campaign Discussion

sfedi

First Post
Because Shahalesti is in the opposite direction! They'd then have to turn around and go back through Gate Pass to get to Seaquen!
Yes , it is longer, but since you are not travelling a forest on fire, and you are going through a civilized area, you could go faster (on horse, through roads) and thenyou could catch a ship.

One of my groups actually wanted to do that, and I had a very hard time convincing them otherwise.

On the matter of the White Wyrms encounter, I recommend NOT to replace it with a Black Horse encounter, it should instead reinforce the idea of how a Ragesian cell operates within a city, as this turns out to be important in the third adventure.

I also recommend that you read all adventures if you can, specially the third one.

On the Inquisitor's Attack encounter, I was going to open a thread about that.

The way I figure it, Shahalesti's at war too, so anyone coming out of Gate Pass who isn't a known citizen of Shahalesti is going to run into trouble, probably get picked up on suspicion of being a spy, and potentially detained for a long while. If you consider how the Shahalesti envoys who show up at Seaquen in adventure 3 try to dictate terms to ambassadors of other nations, you can imagine that a few random travelers won't warrant much respect.

Torrent and the Resistance would know this, so they take the direct route.

Of course, if the PCs decide to take the scenic route, well, you can just replace adventure 2 with something different. They get to see how frustrating the Shahalesti are in person, but perhaps they catch a break and get permission to go on to Seaquen. Maybe they can even travel with Shalosha to Seaquen, and deal with a saboteur on board.

The main problem is that this skips over a key bit of foreshadowing, since the party doesn't get a chance to run into a trillith until adventure 4. So in that case, I'd try to get the PCs on a ship to Seaquen, and have Kazyk the devil hire pirates, and make the saboteur on board be Deception.

The pirates attack once, get rebuffed, but during the confusion Deception replaces the captain, who takes them out to deeper waters to 'avoid the pirates.' Deception wants them to head to an island, where a fellow trillith lives, but is trapped. This trillith controls the seas around the island, and once they're in, they cannot sail free without either releasing or killing the trillith.

Yeah, that would work. Kind of messes with themes a bit, since I wanted to play up the 'fire' aspect in a campaign called Burning Sky, but I figure it'd be a bit too obvious if the PCs dodged a 'fire forest' and instead came upon a 'fire island.' Hm. Maybe a volcanic island, though.

Anyway, you've got options there, if the party doesn't want to follow the preferred course of the adventure. Let them detour for a few sessions, and then have them get to Seaquen as intended.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes , it is longer, but since you are not travelling a forest on fire, and you are going through a civilized area, you could go faster (on horse, through roads) and thenyou could catch a ship.

One of my groups actually wanted to do that, and I had a very hard time convincing them otherwise.

It's doable, but it would be an entire adventure in itself. A much longer trip by land and sea through Shahalesti and then round the coast back to Seaquen. And Shahalesti wouldn't be a fun trip - they're very xenophobic, and are currently on a war footing.

I think it would be the less efficient route, but it's certainly a fun idea for an adventure! Sneaking through Shahalesti by land, somehow getting on board a ship bound for Seaquen, etc. In fact, they could learn about the Seaquen blockade in advance, and actually be on one of those very ships!

Maybe one day we could look at producing an alternate adventure describing that route!

Daern

Explorer
Great ideas! I especially like the Trillith on the Island. I think this is one of the strengths of the series, that such a major detour can make perfect sense.

@sfedi -I do have the 3rd one, but I'll have to go reread it to get a sense of the Wyrms.

cheers everyone!

GuyPRunkle

Explorer

Worst part about going through Shahalesti instead of Innenotdar is that the party would miss the fire forest adventure, and it is awesome!

Not to mention that the party would then run into trouble trying to break through the Shahalesti blockade of Seaquin - not that they would know that before setting out . . .

Glad my group didn't consider trying to travel via that route.

Guy

Daern

Explorer
Well, it was a very short session, but we got into it. First of all, this was the third session of the campaign. The first mini adventure took place in Ragesia, establishing it as an orcish nation, rough and powerful. Much was said of Coaltongue's dominance. The heroes were hired by the Merchant Menash, which I have renamed.
The party consists of : Drow Cosmic Sorcerer, Human Fullblade Fighter, Wilden Seeker, Half-elf Cleric of War, and a human Bard (occasionally)
As we started, I gave them alot of backstory, saying that they barely made it back to their home city of Gate Pass before the news came of Coaltongue's death, and with it, the Scourge. I described the grim winter in Gate Pass with the imperial armies at city gates, and of course, the first thing the wanted to know was if there was a resistance. "Why sure," I said, "In fact they just contacted you to meet them at the Pub."
So they went for it and made a spectacular perception check outside the bar, but I ruled that the Black Horse were all out of sight, except for a wagon, which I mentioned very quickly... hoping he wouldn't investigate.
The roleplaying with Torrent went well. She gave a lot of exposition as well, some I had already given, but I was able to impress upon the party the urgency of the mission and the need to go through the Fire Forest.
Then the Black Horse attacked and were annihilated. They heard footsteps over head and positioned themselves near the stairwell. Then the battering ram crew burst in, perfectly positioned to take out the squishy sorcerer. Of course I rolled terribly for initiative, and the combo of Drow Cosmic Sorcerer and Wilden Seeker decimated the minions immediately. The thug did not fare much better. The explosions and burning room were cool. I added a chandelier from DMG2, which fell on the sorcerer.
The result was that the party burst onto the street and made short work of Kathor and his dogs. I described Kathor as very ambivalent to fight, giving up actions and calling on them to surrender, and finally throwing a net over one character, but he was doomed. Luckily all his talk and offer of a truce impressed fighter enough to subdue him rather than kill him, so I will get to use him another day.
That was as far as we got. The fight was really easy, but that was fine with me because it was interesting. I particularly enjoyed the setup of getting the players impressed with the idea of this threatening all powerful warlord emperor, and then immediately killing him off and telling them that the whole city is under attack by firebombing dragonriders. Very cinematic.

sfedi

First Post
Oh, the fiery start of the campaign...

That rocked!

Yes, I thought the first encounter was very easy too, but that's a good thing. It give the party a morale boost, it gives them confidence.

One question: How aer your playing taking the mission/campaign?

Are they following Torrent?
Or have they made the mission something of a personal quest?

Daern

Explorer
Well, the best part for me was when I told them that Coaltongue was dead, and my friend said, "And we didn't kill him?" Good lil reversal of expectations there.
The players seemed to take the mission well. Since many of them are spellcasters they all wanted to get out of the city ahead of the Scourge anyways, so this seems to be a good opportunity. I managed to get in some good Torrent talk about how the Elves would not be easy to deal with.
The concern I have, is how to play Kathor, now that he is their prisoner. I'm a little unclear about his trillith connection.

Calavingian

Explorer
For my own campaign I emphasised that the Ragesian (or rather, the Arcane Imperium since Im using the campaign in my own game world) had flying mounts and could easily deposit blocking forces on the east side of the pass to prevent supplies reaching the city from that route.

As it is, my PC's plan on avoiding the Burning Forest alltogether, and have come up with a reasonable case for doing so. So, in my campaign, the Borealis/Farm encounter will happen on the road westward through the mountains and the impetus to get the old wizard and his daughter hurrying along with the PLC's afterwords will be the Imperial reinforcements they can see hurrying along the path behind.

Remove ads