Dwimmermount IC:

Imperialus

Explorer
OOC: You could technically try to bring one of these dwarves to life. It would be considered highly inappropriate though, almost sacrilegious and the chance of failure would be extremely high. As for the Kobolds it looks like they have been animating the statues, you don't know enough about Kobolds to know why they are proceeding at such a slow pace. Kobolds breed like rabbits when compared to dwarves, but that's kinda like saying that honey flows faster than molasses.

Peering down the eastern exit you think you see the faint glow of a fire or brazier down there. It looks as though whatever is producing the light is reduced to coals though. Klyman, as you listen, you aren't sure, but you think you hear a faint muttering, and the clink of chains.

Leif

Adventurer
Klyman Sylar

"There appears to be a fire up ahead that is almost burnt out, and I hear something like voices and rattling chains. Have we heard anything about prisoners here?"

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Klyman clears his throat and says, [...] "I probably wasn't even doing it right."
"At least yee get ta try again, scout..." That's the curse and beauty of being human right there, probably.

Speaking of, he's pretty much decided not to try giving birth today himself: doesn't seem right to him; not like this; a kin ta stealing somebody's soul... Which apparently the blasted kobolds have been doing! "Look here." He crouches down next to an empty spot in the alignment.

"Looks like the foul ones've been animating the statues," he reports, teeth tight with sullen fury at the sacrilege. "But not ALL o' them." And he doesn't know enough about Kobolds to know why they're proceeding at such a slow pace!

One thing's crystal clear though: "They need ta be stopped."

Suddenly hungry for Kobold blood, Midgrim will rejoin the others at the eastern exit and proceed on from there, Klyman scouting in front? (Assuming Gargrim doesn't want to try to animate his son right now, that is. If he does, Midgrim will help as best he can.)

OOC: How many empty spots are there in the rows of statues, Imperialus? To estimate how many kobolds might have been animated.

"There appears to be a fire up ahead that is almost burnt out, and I hear something like voices and rattling chains. Have we heard anything about prisoners here?"
"Guran," reminds the fat dwarf in a whisper. "And maybe some more of Typhon's lot?"

He gestures the man forward: let's go and see.

Imperialus

Explorer
As you make your way to the eastern exit you think you count perhaps two dozen spots where a dwarf statue likely stood. You're not 100% sure though. You're no tracker, and your only clue is areas where the dust is disturbed.

Creeping down the corridor it becomes apparent that the "kitchen" such as it is is currently uninhabited by Kobolds. That said though, it is not empty...

[MENTION=6749529]Jimmy Disco T[/MENTION]
It feels like an eternity since you left Muntburg with Typhon's Fists. When you heard rumors that the Patriarch of Typhon was putting together an expedition to investigate the rumors surrounding strange goings on in the mountain you were among the first to volunteer, the mystery of the mountain luring you there like a moth to flame. Any dreams of glory, knowledge or power were shattered within hours of entering the terrible fortress however. Typhons Fists had scarcely breached the Red Doors when you were set upon by a marauding group of feral orcs. The melee was swift and vicious and two of your number perished in short order. Pushing further to the north you came upon a small chapel where the party was attacked by a half dozen strange four armed skeletons that tore through your ranks. The battle turned desperate when it became apparent that they were beyond the power of even the Priest in your ranks to turn them. Three of your companions fell, though two of the fiends were dispatched as well. Fleeing the battle, the group became separated. You and three others, an Acolyte of Asana, a Veteran of the Temple Guard, and a mercenary Swordsman became hopelessly lost and ended up fleeing into a series of natural caverns where you were ambushed by a large group of Kobolds. Both you and the temple guardsmen were captured while the other cleric and the mercenary fled further into the cave.

Upon your capture you and your remaining companion named Vindar were brought to this dank cave and chained to the wall. You joined an Orc who must have been previously captured. It quickly became apparent what exactly was in store for you when the vicious beasts killed and cooked the Orc in front of you some time later. As soon as you were able you healed a deep gash in Vindar's arm that he received some time during the battle... In hindsight this may have been a mistake since the Kobolds must have realized that if they simply 'harvested' meat from Vindar you could heal him thereby saving them the need to prevent their food from spoiling. At least that's what you assumed, since when they came again a few days later they took Vindar's leg at the knee. A couple of days later they returned and took about half of his thigh. It was at this point that Vindar's mind snapped. He sits, and babbles nonsense to himself picking at the shiny stump of scar tissue left by your healing spell. You don't think you're actually doing him any service by continuing to repair the damage to his body... Perhaps the next time the kobolds come with their knives it would be best to let him simply bleed to death.

Ever since the last time they took part of Vindar though the Kobolds have seemed to be extremely agitated. In fact it seems like you may have been forgotten entirely. You hear shouts in the bastardized dwarven that the Kobolds speak and although you don't understand a word it does sound frantic and agitated. Then, a light, somewhere outside the cave... The Kobolds don't use light. They see as well in the dark as you do at midday. Voices, speaking the Thulian of the City States. Have Typhons Fists returned? Are you saved?...

[MENTION=6667844]eve[/MENTION]ryone else:
As you enter the cave you are greeted by a gristly sight. A cookfire burnt down to embers and two men, chained to the wall. Both shy away from the light of your torch, their eyes having grown so accustomed to the darkness. Both are clad in nothing but their smallcloths, and one seems to have been maimed.

Attachments

• In Progress Map.png
    In Progress Map.png
    175.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

Binder Fred

"Well this is a fine pickle," comments a fat dwarf with a crescent beard and tresses peaking out of his iron helmet. He angrily sheathes his axe in his wide belt and stomps over to the prisoners. "Trust the foul ones not ta be there when an honest dwarf's WANTS them ta be! Don't move."

Midgrim matter-of-factly examines the manacles on the saner-looking one.

If they lock with a key:
"Key. Yee know where it is?" Search for the key if not.

If not:
He swore: "Riveted. That's all we need." Midgrim will try to pry open the weakest link he can find, using a handy piece of metal, his dagger or the blade of his re-inforced spade if need be.

OOC: Nice intro, Imperialus. Me like.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Another dwarf walks in, similar in appearance to the first. "You sure it ain't no trap? Maybe they left these two hear as bait to trick us." He looks around nervously, then pokes the saner of the two men with the edge of an axe. "Hey you... don't look so stunned now and speak up. This a trap?"

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
"What... Dwarves?" says Pieter slowly, with a somewhat confused expression. He recoils briefly as Midgrim reaches for his shackles and his eyes open wide.

Dwarves... Pieter had never met, or even seen one before. His life in the temple was a sheltered one and all he knew of them was the curses and warnings his father had told him before he entered the service of Typhon.

They have no gods, no souls, no sense of right and wrong. They will stab you in the back to save their own skin, or rob you blind if their gold-greed gets the better of them. One night, deep into his cups, his father had told him how his brother, Pieter's uncle, was found all those years ago... dead in a dark alleyway, a Dwarven handaxe buried in his chest.

"Aaaah! Get back you stone devils!"
he shrieks as he struggles hopelessly against his bonds.

Binder Fred

"Oh for-" swears the rounder of the two brothers as he jerks back from his intended inspection, barely dodging a clumsy manacled swipe. "Thought at least this one'd be righter in the head." He shakes his own head sadly.

Ah well.

"Think yee could calm him down, Klyman?" he calls back. "I'm all for rescuing people from kobolds," even when they aren't dwarves, "but if he keeps shrieking like that... That ain't no good for us either."

Not surrounded by the Makers know what.

If Klyman agrees, Midgrim will go watch for any trouble from the cave entrance while they do that. Being boxed in makes him nervous.

OOC: Is there anything else in this cave besides the cookfire, Imperialus? Supplies? Anything cooking on the cook fire?

Leif

Adventurer
Klyman Sylar

"Yes, Midgrim, let me have a word with him and see if we can't get to the root of the difficulty here."

Klyman waits until the dwarves have cleared off a respectable distance and then approaches the chained captive. Klyman, a slender human wearing leather armor, with a sword at his side, approaches the captive man and says:

"First of all, I'm Klyman Sylar. Now, let's see here, this is quite a pickle that you're in just now isn't it? All chained up in a dungeon. If i was in your shoes, and someone offered to help me, I just don't know that I would be too particular about how tall he was or what languages he spoke. No, no, I'm quite certain that in that position, I would be open to receiving help from just about anyone who offered. But here you are, squealing about how you don't want help from dwarves. Now dwarves are, in general, a gruff, almost humorless lot, that I'll grant you. But these fellows here, well I've come to know them quite well, and they are top notch all the way! And loyal?? Shoot! If you can count a dwarf as your friend, well then, buddy, you've got a friend for LIFE. Now they do take a little getting used to, and they do grumble and fume maybe more than I expected at first, but when push comes to shove and I need someone to rely upon, let me tell you, I wouldn't trade Midgrim and Gargrim for anyone anywhere."

Last edited:

Remove ads