Critical Role Echo Knight is Wildemount's Most Popular Subclass

D&D Beyond shared some stats about the things people are using from Explorers Guide to Wildemount. These are stats from 28 million characters.

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 12.36.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 12.37.46 PM.png

jgsugden

Legend
The echo knight is very cool, but the rules are very poorly written for what the RAI is meant to be, according to Jeremy Crawford's clarifications. The book never said it was an object, never clarified that they could hover, never said if they were flammable for the purposes of ignoring fireball, and didn't specify if it could hold or manipulate objects or creatures.
You wanted them to specify every little detail?

The book said it was an image. It is never said the image was a creature

Every other image in the game can be made to hover. Why not this one?

Why would it ignore fireballs? It has hps and AC, so it can clearly be damaged.

They could have written 30 pages covering every scenario imaginable, but everything that sage advice has written is a direct interpretation of what is in the book. It follows the rules you'd expect for an image with the stated exceptions listed in the book.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There's another class/feat/ability that allows a Paladin to focus solely on CHA while leaving STR at 13? Meaning the paladin doesn't have to choose between to hit and damage vs. Better saves and spell DCs - but instead gets the best of both worlds?

The Hexblade saves That (overrated) combo 2 levels of warlock. That’s literally it.

And the combo isn’t as powerful as folks make it out to be, nor does a MC combo change the power level of a subclass.

Undrave

Legend
The Echo Knight probably FEELS too strong because it's a Fighter that doesn't just do fightery stuff and can do fun and clever stuff outside of combat.

So what if they can obviate a chasm by teleporting over once in a blue moon? The PC would have found a way across, it would have taken maybe five more minute of game time, tops. Maybe the Wizard uses Mage Hand to drop a rope loop around a stalactite on the other side and the halfling rogue gets across and secure it. It's more 'cinematic' but it doesn't automatically make it 'less OP' or better (I mean, the rest of the party still need to make it across). Sometimes PCs make certain obstacles too easy, but sometimes they're not ready for some other obstacles. Don't fret, move on.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Certainly the world has seen nothing since 2017 except for Warlock Paladin Multiclassing combos...

The comment I was responding to was the one stating that hexblade is hardly unique in reducing multi attribute dependency for another class.

I notice you didn't actually address the question?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The Hexblade saves That (overrated) combo 2 levels of warlock. That’s literally it.

And the combo isn’t as powerful as folks make it out to be, nor does a MC combo change the power level of a subclass.state

When you're dealing with Paladin, saving 2 levels is a lot.

I made no judgments on the power level of the combo. I did however, ask if there is any other way, as you stated, to efficiently reduce the Paladins MAD?

Zardnaar

Legend
How is it more powerful than a fiend blaster-lock from the phb? It can make competent Melee attacks? I mean, only at low levels, if it doesn’t invest in weapon oriented invocations.

and the Tomelock could do it by level 3 in the phb, while also gaining the best ritual casting in the game with 1 invocation, and two more cantrips for greater versatility out of combat.

It’s odd to me that you can see this with the echo knight, and not the Hexblade warlock.

Different build the hexblade dumps all over the phb blade lock which is a fairer comparison.

Fiendpact tomelock played as an Archer with tricks is best way to play a phb warlock. You can get around the blade lock MAD with rolled stats or MCing into fighter with default array.

Xanathars could be renamed to Xanathars Guide to Power Creep.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
You wanted them to specify every little detail?

The book said it was an image. It is never said the image was a creature

Every other image in the game can be made to hover. Why not this one?

Why would it ignore fireballs? It has hps and AC, so it can clearly be damaged.

They could have written 30 pages covering every scenario imaginable, but everything that sage advice has written is a direct interpretation of what is in the book. It follows the rules you'd expect for an image with the stated exceptions listed in the book.
Every detail relevant to play. It didn't include this.

Yes, but it never said it was an object. There are 2 main categories of things in D&D: Creatures and Objects. There are also magical effects, like illusions. The subclass never explained what it was. JC said that it was an object, but this should've been specified in the book, because it is very important to play.

It was just unclear to whether or not they had weight. If they had weight, they probably couldn't hover. It also wasn't clear as to whether or not it was a creature, object, or purely magical effect. Creatures fall, objects generally fall, and magical effects don't. Sure, RAW, it says "30 feet in any direction" but this text is still vague.

It would ignore fireballs because it only effects creatures and flammable objects. They had to clarify that it wasn't a creature, and they still haven't said whether or not it was flammable. It has HP and AC, but not every spell can effect everything with AC and HP. Toll of the Dead only works on creatures, so you couldn't do it on a rock. Same thing with Fireball.

I don't want 30 pages explaining what would happen in every scenario, we just need clear RAW explanations of what an Echo is and what it can do. We didn't receive this.

Undrave

Legend
Xanathars could be renamed to Xanathars Guide to Power Creep.

Except for the Arcane Archer :p and I think Samurai is pretty underwhelming too.

It's not really a major concern practically speaking.

Yeah... It's not like you can dump all your stats to 8 and then have one stat at like 24 or something...The range between MAD and SAD is pretty small in 5e.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Except for the Arcane Archer :p and I think Samurai is pretty underwhelming too.

Yeah... It's not like you can dump all your stats to 8 and then have one stat at like 24 or something...The range between MAD and SAD is pretty small in 5e.

And the assumed rule is rolling for stats, anyways. I've never seen anyone use point buy or the array when making a character.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases