• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[EPIC] Out of Character II (No more slots!)

Jemal

Adventurer
hmm.. You have the same PHB as me?
Check me if I'm wrong:

All spells in area of effect gone instantly, Magic items get will saves INDIVIDUALLY, meaning each one has a chance to get destroyed or not (One lucky/unlucky save don't do it).
And just for an example, to have a 75% chance of making the save DC for Williams MD, you'ld need a +33 will bonus..
I beefed mine fairly well, yet as a wise(22 wis) sorceror with an amulet of Resist+4, I still only have +22 myself... I'ld need a 16+ to make my own will save DC for Mords Dis. *L*, that's the inverse of your 'average wizard, Il'd have a 25% chance instead of 75%.

Just an example of a really high Will save:
Beefed cleric or druid (The only classes with any reason to have WIS above 30) could get a max wis mod of 12, +12 base save, +5 magic Resistance, +2 Iron Will, and +1 if it's a halfling. Luckstone would give a +1 luck bonus, and Pale Green Prism Ioun stone gives +1 competence bonus to saves.
That's the highest Will save you can get using PHB/DMG, for a total of +34. (they'd do fairly well against my spells, only need a 4 or better.)

So yeah, I suppose if you made the character specifically to have a super awesome powerful will save, you could survive a mords disjunction with JUST loosing 1/4 of your magic items and all your previously cast spells. BUt that means you're still loosing 1/4 of your items... permanently.

Sorry for the rant, but it's a wickedly overpowered spell, at least for use against characters. VS monsters it's barely worth it, you're not denying them too much, and it's just that much less treasure for yourself.. It was basically included as one of the DM-spells used to keep PCs in line.

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
Really?

Rom:
Abjuration DC = 39
Will save= +23

William Masterson
Abjuration DC = 38
Will save = +23

Sniper Masterson
Abjuration DC = 37
Will save = +19

Veit uses EoM rules, which work slightly differently with regard to Dispeling and Disjunction. However, his 9th level save DC is 25 and his Will save is +16.

Aside from the EoM mage, the best chance against Disjunction is 30%.

A Spell Blade against Greater Dispeling is probably the most abusive use, especially if you use lots of powerful defensive buffs.

Non Detection combined with Improved Invisibility works pretty well at defeating targeted spells, since even with See Invisibility, one needs to make a caster level check against a higher than normal DC in order to detect the mage.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Now it looks like I have a ton of reviewing to do. Rom, don't 'hide' things from me. I'm here to be entertained, and to provide entertainment. So are you. Tell me, outright, what you plan on doing with each thing your munchkinizing before you ask for the OK, and also, put your spell list on your Rogues Gallery post.

I trust that no other player would use that knowledge against you, and you are, as well, forbade from using knowledge of their characters against them. You know this, and I trust that it's all not an issue, but I want you to tell me you know this. Anyway, now to update this thread.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Victim said:
Well, I have an idea for rewriting the flavor text of the Shiba protector. However, I'm not sure how well my idea would fit in with your world either.

Essentially, the class's abilities fall into 3 areas: combat abilities based on inner focus, defenses against magic (SR, bonuses versus spells and spell like powers), and ways to assist friendly spellcasters. The class is excellent for monks, so there's probably a lawful focus. The feats required are defensive in nature.

The way I see things, a typical society in a DnD world is going to be under a lot of pressure. First of all, there's the same stuff that happens here. Competition, war, armies, plague, famine. While magic can reduce some of the problems here, it can't completely negate them. Even if there are lots of clerics able to cast Cure Disease, if they don't catch an outbreak right away, it can spread beyond their ability to cure. Second, monsters provide a significant external threat. Finally, powerful individuals can, be themselves, be dangerous from within or from outside society.

I see the Order of the Phoenix as defenders of order and benevolence. Order is needed lest civilization be swept away, and benevolence is needed lest order forget its purpose and stop protecting and helping people. The group is made up mostly of skilled and competent people that aren't evil or chaotic. Skilled warriors and spellcasters can help deal with external threats like monsters. Because of their organization, they can exert some influence on rulers and other prominent groups to strengthen order. And, because it consists of intrinsicly skilled individuals - especially monks and spellcasters - strong rulers attempting to supress the group will run into some difficulties. It's not like you can confiscate a monk's weapons, so he'd always be a relatively inconspicious threat.

The prestige class represent special training availible to members of the order with advanced skills, and who have proven themselves worthy. Because normal people have little defense against magical attacks, spellcasting characters and creatures are great threats. Therefore, the training increases one's resistance to magical attacks. Similarly, some threats are best dealt with magically, so one can learn to assist allied spellcasters. Finally, the same inner focus and will that strengthens the mind of the initiate can be refined into an incredible combat talent: with great will, one can surpass his or her normal limits.

EDIT:

I think my character is ready too.

Alright, the Order of the Pheonix will act as a seperate "section 13" of the greater church of free worship, which is headed by the diety Elishar. That seems to fit, as Elishar is a sun god.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Sollir Furryfoot said:
The thing that's broken about it is that to use spell blade the item must be out, and normally this would take up your hand space (making 2 a bit harder to wield if you were a wizard who wanted to cast spells with the S component) or it could be disarmed. With blade boots, they're considered a 'weapon' so they can be enchanted with spell blade, furthermore, they can't be disarmed and they don't take up handspace.

Spellblade is broken already without the blade boot anyways IMO and the claw bracer basically manages the same thing.
Ah, I see. Well then, it's not an issue. Here's my thing, this item bonus seems pretty cool in the 'deflects the ray back at the wizard' sense, but I don't understand how 'cool' it is to use as a munchy tool.

Janos, you have complete permission to have up to 5 Spell Blade enchantments. No more though, as that steps out of the 'cool' range and into the 'over the top' side.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Victim said:
You might want to review the False lover racial benefits. First of all, you don't have a CHA score listed for when Pleasing Illusion isn't in effect. Also, the Charisma effects from Pleasing Illusion seem to be referencing 2e mechanics (reaction rolls?). Finally, the abilities lack desciptors - Unearthly Glamour looks like it could be [Mind Affecting] and [Charm] for example. It seems sloppily put together.

Yeah, I was considering this earlier when looking at Sollir's character. I'm almost possitive, now that someone else has said it, that your 'real' charisma and 'effective' charisma are different. Are you still going your 'false lover' route, or what?

Janos Audron

Explorer
Well, the Duplicate, Pass the Years and Eldritch Legacy were there to gain almost infinite sorcerer levels, except that you nerfed EL. Sollir wasn't able to pull it off, so I wanted to see if I could...

Blindsight is there to see in Darkness and to see Invisible creatures

Bladed Boots and spellblade are there to make me immune to a few of the worst spells out there.

Posted my spell list.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads