• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[EPIC] Out of Character II (No more slots!)

Venuz, you do know it's hard to talk when you've got 6 inches of knife sticking out of your face?

Mostly just gurgle and bleed.

{Sorry Rom, hij vroeg erom :p}

Jemal

Adventurer
Janos Audron said:
Venuz, let me tell you a story about a man named: "SH!"

*Fiddle starts playing.. dedle de da de da de de de*
"Come listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed,
Poor mountaineer barely kept his family fed,
Then one day he was shooting at some food,
and up from the ground came a bubbling crude.
Oil that is.. black gold, tex.. "*BANG, Fiddle blows up*
"thanx, I needed that."

Sorry, had a hillbilly moment... Bad Janos, don't do that to me again. ;)

hehe.

The thing that's broken about it is that to use spell blade the item must be out, and normally this would take up your hand space (making 2 a bit harder to wield if you were a wizard who wanted to cast spells with the S component) or it could be disarmed. With blade boots, they're considered a 'weapon' so they can be enchanted with spell blade, furthermore, they can't be disarmed and they don't take up handspace.

Spellblade is broken already without the blade boot anyways IMO and the claw bracer basically manages the same thing.

Victim

First Post
Spellblade 7 times, on boots, bracers, and armor spikes?

It sounds interesting, but not terribly cost effective. Afterall, that's more than 600k spent, all for defense against targeted spells. The character would still be vulnerable to area spells - like a super high DC Disjunction followed by magical attacks now that the character's defenses have been stripped away. IIRC, Ray or energy missile spells would likewise be unaffected, so you could still be toasted by a single high DC Disentegrate or a barrage of enervations.

A Spell Turning item would be alot cheaper for a comparable effect.

You might want to review the False lover racial benefits. First of all, you don't have a CHA score listed for when Pleasing Illusion isn't in effect. Also, the Charisma effects from Pleasing Illusion seem to be referencing 2e mechanics (reaction rolls?). Finally, the abilities lack desciptors - Unearthly Glamour looks like it could be [Mind Affecting] and [Charm] for example. It seems sloppily put together.

Same charisma, I'm guessing its mainly there for flavor, and mentioning that they don't look like undead (and instead a humanoid of the appropriate charisma if you equate charisma/beauty) unless you see past their illusion.

Unearthly Glamour lacks modifiers perhaps do to 2 reasons:
A) It came out before the Monster Manual, and is lacking rules in several other areas (the Unhallowed in the book have con scores)
B) Unearthly Glamour, by its description, is a cross between Dominate Monster (Compulsion, Mind-affecting) and Control Undead which is a necromantic effect with no modifiers (since by its wording a False Lover can even hold sway over intelligent undead).

Although the reason its printed that way is most likely due to the first one, I'm inclined to think it could still lack a modifier due to the second reasoning.

Last edited:

Janos Audron

Explorer
Victim: Spell turning is 150k, the nasty spells I'm immune to now have cost me 72k. That's two +6 items I have saved. And besides, now *I* can aim the spell, so it doesn't have to go back to the caster, but maybe to someone else...

Victim

First Post
Well, then you only have one spellblade, instead of 7x Spellblades for each hand and foot. I'd say that the limitations on spells affected versus costs make an item of that sort fairly balanced. While the effect is superior to spell turning, it only works on a few spells.

If the False Lover is from the CC, then I guess that explains why I thought it was sloppy.

It depends, Victim, when used it really only needs to target certain spells, the rest the caster doesn't have to worry much about. For instance, a simple +1 weapon of spell blade: greater dispel magic is a boon to any high level caster, for a mere price of 8k.

Janos Audron

Explorer
Yup, since it makes you immune to both the targetted dispel and the counterspel variants...

And besides, you don't need to be immune for every targetted spell, since you have access to Mind Blank, mind affecting spells aren't a problem anymore...

Jemal

Adventurer
I believe someone pointed this out before, But I'll say it anyways.

Mordenkainens.
Disjunction.

Very little that can't be ended by that, if your opponent Has and is willing to use 9th level spells (Of Course at epic level that's not to big of a leap..)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads