• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Epic] The Mirror of Days (Updated!)

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Dark Eternal,

E-mail me at the address listed on my profile and I'll e-mail you back with my home and work e-mails.

Thanks,
Keia

Arknath

First Post
Maybe someone can help me out....did he say what we should do about hit points? (max? roll? %?) Thanks!

Edit: I've edited my character to reflect the finished product. Please let me know if you notice mistakes.

Last edited:

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Hey all,

Need yet another ruling from the GM. I have an idea for an item that is slightly different that an existing epic item and need an okay before I work on it.

Rod of Excellent Creation:

As the Rod of Excellent magic, except the rod supplies up to 2,000 xps per day for item creation. If the crafter has the ability to create items that require more than 2,000 xps per day, the craftsman must provide them.

Keia

'o Skoteinos

First Post
Well, of course I am not the DM, but I want to do a little calculation:

Say you have a non epic item of 200.000 GP

the total XP cost: 8.000 XP

the total time is: 200 days

so you spend 40 XP/day

This means you can craft each non epic item without spending XP (not counting items that require Wish).

Say you have an epic item of 1.000.000 GP

the total XP cost is: 40.000 XP

the total time is: 1000 days

so you spend 40 XP/day

This means you can craft each epic item without spending XP (not counting items that require Wish).

Say you have an epic item of 1.000.000 GP and the Efficient Item Creation Feat.

the total XP cost is: 40.000 XP

the total time is: 100 days

so you spend 400 XP/day

This means you can still craft each epic item without spending XP (not counting items that require Wish).

Bonus calculation:

2000 XP/day, means that you can create an item of 25.000 GP in 1 day (2000*25/2 = 25.000) This would mean that even if you took the Efficient Item Creation Feat twice (if the would stack somehow) you still wouldn't have to spend XP.

As written, I think it's not very balanced. Also, as an argument, the Rod of Excellent Magic can be used to create an 'item' (spell) but it is *destroyed* in the process.

Suggestions:

Limit it to one Item Creation Feat

Let it supply 20 XP/day. That will cut the XP cost in *half* which is still a lot, but better than this.

Let it require some sort of activation.

IMO best solution: make it an artifact.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
'o Skoteinos said:

Bonus calculation:

2000 XP/day, means that you can create an item of 25.000 GP in 1 day (2000*25/2 = 25.000) This would mean that even if you took the Efficient Item Creation Feat twice (if the would stack somehow) you still wouldn't have to spend XP.

As written, I think it's not very balanced. Also, as an argument, the Rod of Excellent Magic can be used to create an 'item' (spell)
but it is *destroyed* in the process.

The rod of Excellent magic also reduces the cost of one spell that requires experience to be cast using 2,000xp less than required. Of course it takes 26,000xps to make the item alone, so that requires a healthy expenditure.

Using the Efficient ITem Creation feat (which only applies to one creation feat - was bummed to read that :() and the Master Arcane Artisan from the WotC website, I can craft items up to 60,000gps per day. That's a great benefit until I started building things and watched my level drop to about 30th (based on the experience used). Not cool.

So I was exploring ideas, to limit that somehow. I took the Magical Artisan feats for Wondrous, Arms and Armor, and Rings (though I may drop Rings - just not enough benefit for the cost).

'o Skoteinos said:

Suggestions:

Limit it to one Item Creation Feat

Let it supply 20 XP/day. That will cut the XP cost in *half* which is still a lot, but better than this.

Let it require some sort of activation.

IMO best solution: make it an artifact.

All of those are good ideas, thanks!! :)

Perhaps if we limit it to item creations in which the crafter has the item creation feat, the respective magical artisan feat AND the Epic Item creation feat (chewing up a ton of feats). Plus, have it supply only the 40xps per day or 1000/xps per day AND have a Spellcraft or Craft activation of DC60.

That would allow an Epic Craftsman at 32nd level to craft any normal item in the normal time, but anything that he would want to craft using the maximum efficiency he would have to pay the experience for (paying 1,400xps per day, or 800xps with Artisan).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads