• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Epic] The Mirror of Days (Updated!)

Janos Audron

Explorer
The rod of Excellent magic also reduces the cost of one spell that requires experience to be cast using 2,000xp less than required. Of course it takes 26,000xps to make the item alone, so that requires a healthy expenditure.

Yes, *but* you can not even cast a free Wish. 2000 XP is just very little, especially if you go epic and need to reduce those the Spell DCs, XP becomes a viable option. Since you can use it once/day, you can not use it for all your spells.

If you craft however, you can't do anything else that day, which means that once/day is not a good limit...

Using the Efficient ITem Creation feat (which only applies to one creation feat - was bummed to read that ) and the Master Arcane Artisan from the WotC website, I can craft items up to 60,000gps per day. That's a great benefit until I started building things and watched my level drop to about 30th (based on the experience used). Not cool.

Ok, for *your* character, it may not be much, but to *most* epic characters it would be a world of difference...

Perhaps if we limit it to item creations in which the crafter has the item creation feat, the respective magical artisan feat AND the Epic Item creation feat (chewing up a ton of feats).

Well, I don't think that you can put feats in the requirement of an item. It's not a 3rd edition mechanic...

Plus, have it supply only the 40xps per day or 1000/xps per day AND have a Spellcraft or Craft activation of DC60.

40 XP/day means that, if time is not a factor, you can craft for free. That alone makes it a bad idea.

Further the spellcraft DC 60 is worth :):):):). An item of +100 Spellcraft just costs 2.000.000 GP. See where this is going? First make the Rod, then take you time to craft the +100 item, then craft everything for free.

Now, *obviously* there needs to be a very heavy balancing factor. I think Spell Creation is only a secondary function of the rod, and because it is destroyed it is balanced *a bit*.

I think you should post this question over at the Rules Forum, see what they have to say about it.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Thanks Janos!!

Took your advice and posted to the rules forum. It's very late, but I'm thinking that perhaps I'm attacking this from the wrong angle. I'll wait to hear back from the wise in the rules forum for others ideas but I think I may have something.

I think that people should consider that this is for a 32nd level spellcaster that specializes in item creation and shaped the character around that concept. It would be a horrible item for a 12th-20th level character to make everything for free experience, but this is for a 32nd level character whose crafting EPIC items, the experience alone on a single 1,000,000 item is 40,000xps - something he can't even begin to craft without something like this item to help or refusing to go up levels.

Again, thanks for your input.

Keia

Janos Audron

Explorer
Keia: Two things,

1) I am playing a Wizard with Epic Spells. To research them I had to give up 3 levels (I'm a 29th level Wizard now).

I didn't know of the Rod of Excellence Magic. I think it's a bad item, because:

2) XP is a very good balancing factor. It trades levels for items / spells. However, if you replace XP with money, it's not nearly as good for balance:

2000 XP/day means you can have endless Stasis Clones, means you can cast Alamanther's Return 1/day for free.

The worst part of that item is that you can substitue it for the XP cost.

I want to create a DC 150 spell. That costs me 1.350.000 GP and 54.000 XP. So, if I pay 625.000 GP, I can save 54.000 XP. So I pay 11GP/XP, and at Epic levels that is a *great* deal, since , money is not really a problem.

The only balancing factor here is that when you use the Rod to create a spell, it is destroyed. That is the only thing that prevents you from making countless Epic spells.

So, instead of making a bad item better, you take the worst part of an item, and you make it even worse...

So I hope the people at the rules forum have something to contribute...:)

Keia

I aim to misbehave
No one seems to be replying in either location and I don't want to hold up my character creation any longer so I'm going to drop the Rod of Excellent Creation idea. It will be something that he will be researching and interested in developing in play.

Keia

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Darius the Crafter (male human)
Wizard 15/Archmage 5/ Loremaster 1/Master Arcane Artisan 10/ Arcane Lord 1

Alignment: Neutral good
Experience: 496,831 xps
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 195 lbs
Eyes: amber
Hair: Brown, in ponytail
Skin: tanned

Strength: 20 (+5) [2 points, +4 Inherent, +6 Enhancement]
Dexterity: 25 (+4) [6 points, +5 inherent, +6 Enhancement]
Constitution: 21 (+2) [2 points, +5 inherent, +6 Enhancement]
Intelligence: 37 (+13) [16 points, +8 level increase, +5 inherent, +6 enhancement]
Wisdom: 15 (+14) [2 points, +5 inherent]
Charisma: 15 (+2) [2 points, +5 inherent]

Combat Block:
Initiative: +11 [+7 Dexterity, +4 Improved Initiative]
Hit Points: 291 (31d4+1d6+160)
Armor Class: 37 (10 base, +10 Armor, +7 dexterity, +5 natural, +5 deflection)
Armor class Conditional: 50% displacement

Saving Throws:
Fortitude: +24 (+11 base, +5 constitution, +8 resistance)
Reflex: +21 (+6 base, +7 dexterity, +8 resistance)
Will: +30 (+20 base, +2 wisdom, +8 resistance)
Saving Throw Conditionals: Evasion, Mind Blank, Circle of Protection vs. Evil.
Spell Resistance: 40

Speed: 60 ft.
Base Attack Bonus: +15/+10
Base Melee Attacks: +20/+15
Base Ranged Attacks: +22/+17

Attacks:
Staff of Fiery Power: +25/+20 (d6+10/x2)
Holy Shocking Light Crossbow of Efficiency: +32/+27 [+5 Crossbow, +5 bolts] (1d8 +2d6 holy +1d6 shock +10)

Special Abilities:
Permanent Effects:
True Sight [Cost of 1,500xps using a clerical True sight via Incarnate the psion power (300xps x spell level)]
Darkvision [cost of 1,000xps]

Skills:
Alchemy +53 [35 Ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck]
Appraise +32 [14 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck]
Balance +34 [0 ranks, 7 dexterity, +20 Competence, +5 Luck, +2 Synergy-Tumble]
Bluff +12 [10 cc ranks, +2 Cha, +5 Luck]
Climb +30 [0 ranks, +5 Str, +20 Competence, +5 Luck]
Concentration +70 [35 ranks, +5 Con, +5 Luck, +25 Circumstance]
Craft: Weapon smith +73 [30 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck, +25 Circumstance]
Craft: Armor smith +73 [30 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck, +25 Circumstance]
Craft: Blacksmith +73 [30 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck, +25 Circumstance]
Craft: Gem-smith +43 [0 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck, +25 Circumstance]
Diplomacy +14 [10 cc ranks, +2 Cha, +5 Luck, +2 Synergy-Bluff]
Disguise +9 [0 ranks, +2 Cha, +5 Luck, +2 Synergy-Bluff]
Escape Artist +12 [0 ranks, +7 Dex, +5 Luck]
Forgery +18 [0 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck]
Gather Information +11 [4 ranks, +2 charisma, +5 Luck]
Heal +11 [4 ranks, +2 Wis, +5 Luck]
Hide +12 [0 ranks, 7 Dex, +5 Luck]
Intimidate +9 [0 ranks, +2 Cha, +5 Luck, +2 Synergy-bluff]
Jump +32 [0 ranks, +5 Str, +20 Competence, +5 Luck]
Knowledge (arcane) +78 [35 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck, +25 Circumstance]
Knowledge (engineering) +22 [4 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck]
Knowledge (geography) +22 [4 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck]
Knowledge (History) +43 [25 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck]
Knowledge (Nobility) +22 [4 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck]
Knowledge (Local) +22 [4 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck]
Knowledge (Planes) +43 [25 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck]
Knowledge (Religion) +43 [25 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck]
Listen +14 [14 cc ranks, +2 Wisdom, +5 Luck]
Move Silently +12 [0 ranks, +7 Dex, +5 Luck]
Perform +17 [10 ranks, +2 Cha, +5 Luck]
Profession (Merchant) +17 [10 ranks, +2 Wisdom, +5 Luck]
Ride +12 [0 ranks, +7 Dex, +5 Luck]
Scry +36 [18 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck]
Search +26 [8 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck]
Sense Motive +7 [0 ranks, +2 Wis, +5 Luck]
Spellcraft +80 [35 ranks, +13 Int, +5 Luck, +25 Circumstance, +2 Synergy-Use Device]
Spot +37 (10 cc ranks, +2 Wis, +5 Luck, +25 Circumstance
Swim +10 (0 ranks, +5 Str, +Luck]
Tumble +37 (10 cc ranks, +7 Dex, +20 Competence, +5 Luck]
Use Magic Device +48 [14 ranks, +2 Cha, +5 Luck, +25 Circumstance, +2 Synergy-Spellcraft]
Wilderness Lore +7 (0 ranks, +2 Wis, +5 Luck]

Feats and Pseudo-Feats:
Skill Focus: Spellcraft (Player's Handbook) (1st lvl, Human)
Spell focus: Evocation (Player's Handbook) (1st lvl Character)
Craft Wondrous Item (Player's Handbook) (3rd Lvl Character)
Empower Spell (Player's Handbook) (5th lvl Wizard)
Craft Magic Arms and Armor (Player's Handbook) (6th lvl Character)
Spell Focus: Enchantment (Player's Handbook) (9th lvl Character)
Quicken Spell (Player's Handbook ) (10th lvl Wizard)
Craft Ring (Player's Handbook ) (12th lvl Character)
High Arcana: Energy Substitution (Forgotten Realms) (1st lvl Archmage)
Magical Artisan: Wondrous Items (Forgotten Realms ) (15th lvl Character)
High Arcana: Spell Power +1 (Forgotten Realms) (2nd lvl Archmage)
High Arcana: Spell Power +2 (Forgotten Realms) (3rd lvl Archmage)
High Arcana: Spell Power +3 (Forgotten Realms) (4th lvl Archmage)
Magical Artisan: Magic Arms and Armor (Forgotten Realms ) (18th lvl Character)
High Arcana: Reach (Forgotten Realms) (5th lvl Archmage)
Magical Artisan: Rings (Forgotten Realms ) (1st Lvl Loremaster Secret)

Epic Feats:
Efficient Item Creation (Epic Level Handbook) (21st lvl Character)
Multi-spell (Epic Level Handbook) (15th lvl Wizard)
Multi-spell (Epic Level Handbook) (24th lvl Character)
Craft Epic Wondrous Item (Epic Level Handbook) (3rd lvl Master Arcane Artisan)
Automatic Quicken – 0-3rd lvl spells (Epic Level Handbook) (27th lvl Character)
Craft Epic Arms and Armor (Epic Level Handbook) (6th lvl Master Arcane Artisan)
Improved Meta-magic (Epic Level Handbook) (30th lvl Character)
Craft Epic Ring (Epic Level Handbook) (9th lvl Master Arcane Artisan)
Automatic Quicken – 4-6th lvl spells (Epic Level Handbook) (1st lvl Arcane Lord – Dragon 297)

Equipment:
Tome of Clear Thought +5 (Already Used) 137,500 gps
Tome of Leadership +5 (Already Used) 137,500 gps
Tome of Understanding +5 (Already Used) 137,500 gps
Manual of Bodily Health +5 (Already Used) 137,500 gps
Manual of Quickness of Action +5 (Already Used) 137,500 gps
Manual of Gainful Exercise +4 (Already Used) 0 gps [Was created free of xp and gp cost from Arcane Artisan, 300,000 available, 110,000gps used]

Darius's Multi-tasking Helm (See below)
Darius's Inspirational Amulet (See below)
Vest of Sustaining Lucky Skill (See below)
Scarab of Protection 38,000 gps
Brooch of Shielding 1,500 gps
Enhanced Armor of the Celestial Battalion (See below)
Mantle of Epic Spell Resistance From ELH 290,000 gps
Darius's Bracers of Craftsmanship (See below)
Darius’s Handy Gloves (See below)
Staff of Fiery Power From ELH 500,000 gps
Darius’s Crossbow of Efficiency (See below)
Ring of Diverse Wizardry (See below)
Ring of Ultimate Wizardry(See below)
Belt of Giant Strength 36,000 gps
Boots of Swiftness Crafted, Used 7,860xps [256000*0.75/25] from XP Pool, From ELH 96,000 [256,000/2*.75]gps
Rod of Greater Maximization From Tome and Blood 243,000 gps
Rod of Greater Chaining From Tome and Blood 243,000 gps
Rod of Greater Silence From Tome and Blood 48,600 gps
Mirror of Mental Prowess 175,000 gps
Scrolls of True Resurrection (x3) 26,475 gps
Scroll of Heal (x3) 4,950 gps
Wands of CLW (x4) 50 charges each 3,000 gps
Wand of Keen Edge - 50 charges 11,250 gps

Business Enterprise: 500,000 gps

Equipment Explanations:

Darius' Multi-tasking Helm
*Hat of Displacement – Major As the Cloak 50,000
*Helm of Underwater Action (x2 for 2nd ability) 48,000
*Helm of Comprehending Languages and Reading Magic (x2 for 2nd ability) 5,200
*Hat of Disguise (x2 for 2nd ability) 4,000
*Headband of Intellect +6 Enhancement bonus of +6 to Intelligence (x2 for 2nd ability) 72,000
Total Cost (purchased): 179,200 gps

Darius' Inspirational Amulet
*Amulet of Natural Armor +5 50,000
*Amulet of Health +6 Enhancement bonus of +6 to Constitution (x2 for 2nd ability) 72,000
*Periapt of Wound closure (x2 for 2nd ability) 30,000
*Necklace of Adaptation (x2 for 2nd ability) 38,000
Total Cost (purchased): 190,000 gps

Vest of Sustaining Lucky Skill
*Vest of Luck +5 (Bonus Squared x 2500 - to skills only) 62,500
*Skill Bonus - +25 to Concentration (Bonus Squared x 20 x 2 (2nd ability)) 25,000
*Skill Bonus - +25 to Spellcraft (Bonus Squared x 20 x 2 (2nd ability)) 25,000
*Skill Bonus - +25 to Knowledge: Arcana (Bonus Squared x 20 x 2 (2nd ability)) 25,000
*Skill Bonus - +25 to Spot (Bonus Squared x 20 x 2 (2nd ability)) 25,000
*Skill Bonus - +25 to Use Magic Device (Bonus Squared x 20 x 2 (2nd ability)) 25,000
*Sustains as Ring of Sustenance As cost for Ring x 2 (2nd ability) 5,000
**Intelligence: Int 24, Wis 17, Cha 10, NG, Telepathy EGO: 22
****Extraordinary Powers (Heal 1/day, True Seeing at will, Passwall at will)
****Prime (No sleep needed, No breathing needed, Detect magic at will) 90,000
Total Cost (purchased): 282,500 gps

Ring of Diverse Wizardry
*Ring of Wizardry IV100,000
*Ring of Wizardry III (x2 Additional Ability) 140,000
*Ring of Wizardry II (x2 Additional Ability) 80,000
*Ring of Wizardry I (x2 Additional Ability) 40,000
**Intelligence: NG, Int 17, Wis 11, Cha 16, Telepathy, EGO: 16
**** Extraordinary Power: Stoneskin 2/day, Telepathy 2/day
****Prime: Detect evil at will, Combat Reflexes feat, Improved Initiative feat, 78,000
Total Cost (purchased): 438,000 gps

Ring of Ultimate Wizardry
*Ring of Wizardry IX 810,000
*Ring of Wizardry V (x2 Additional Ability) 500,000
*Ring of Freedom of Movement (x2 Additional Ability) 80,000
*Ring of Spell Storing (x2 for 2nd Ability)180,000
Total Cost (purchased): 1,570,000 gps

Enhanced Armor of the Celestial Battalion
*+5 Golden Chainmail, Fly at will as the spell, Magic circle vs. evil at will151,300 gps, computed as 25,000 base plus 126,300 gps in extras (from ELH)
*+2 Spellcasting (-15 to spellcasting difficulty) (From Book of Eldritch Might II)
*+5 Heavy Fortification Additional +7 1,415,000
Total Cost (purchased): 587,363 gps Crafted, Used 46,320xps [1,566000*0.75/25] from XP Pool and 669xps of own, From ELH [1,566,000/2*.75]gps

Darius' Inspirational Amulet
*Amulet of Natural Armor +5 50,000
*Amulet of Health +6 (x2 Additional Ability) 72,000
*Periapt of Wound closure (x2 Additional Ability) 30,000
*Necklace of Adaptation (x2 Additional Ability) 38,000
Total Cost (purchased): 190,000 gps

Darius' Handy Gloves
*Gloves of Rust Resistance (As Gauntlets of Rust, but without the rusting grasp) 11,500
*Gloves of Storing (x2 for 2nd ability, x2 for 2 gloves) 8,800
*Gloves Arrow Snaring (x2 for 2nd ability) 8,000
Total Cost (purchased): 28,300 gps

Darius’s Crossbow of Efficiency
*Quick-loading [from Arms and Equipment Guide] Bonus +2
*Enhancement Bonus +5, Holy +2, Shocking +1
Total Cost (purchased): 200,000 gps

Darius's Bracers of Craftsmanship
*Skill Bonus - +25 to Craft: Weapon-smith (Bonus Squared x 20 (1st ability)) 12,500
*Skill Bonus - +25 to Craft: Armor-smith (Bonus Squared x 20 x 2 (2nd ability)) 25,000
*Skill Bonus - +25 to Craft: Blacksmith (Bonus Squared x 20 x 2 (2nd ability)) 25,000
*Skill Bonus - +25 to Craft: Gem-smith (Bonus Squared x 20 x 2 (2nd ability)) 25,000
Total Cost (purchased): 87,500 gps

Last edited:

GoldenEagle

First Post
here is my concept for a Paragon Human Ranger 1 / Paladin 15

Background of Rynin son of Charton, Paladin of Pelor

[Started as a Ranger] Born in the town of Twin Falls to Charton and Lissa of Twin Falls. Charton was a Tracker by trade, while Lissa kept the house in order. Both parents were of Pelor. Rynin grew up tracking and hunting with his father. At the age of sixteen Charton gave his son permission to accompany a trade caravan to the local city, Towerkeep.

On his trip to town Rynin met Brother Tanzer of the Temple of Pelor during the worship services. Tanzer took an interest in Rynin, seeing a humble yet devout young man with charisma… the perfect person to attract others to the worship of Pelor. When Rynin leaves Tanzer asks him to return if hewould ever consider coming back to help turn people to the sun.

The 2 day return trip to Twin Falls promised to be as eventless as the trip in. Due to the proximity of Twin Falls fo Towerkeep, there had not been a raid on the trade caravans in over 14 years…this time was different. The caravan was small, but it was attacked by a group of bandits. Rynin, after taking taking out four of them helped the caravan back to the Twin Falls. The town sherrif formed a counter raiding party including both Charton and Rynin. After tracking the bandits to their lair, the group righted the wrongs done unto their people.

This series of events had a profound attack on Rynin. Why would anyone attack an almost defenseless caravan? Pelor would have led them on a better path. Within the week Rynin secures the blessings of his parents to return with the next caravan to Towerkeep to serve in Pelor’s temple as a gaurdian of the defenseless and a prostheltizer of morality.

Upon entrance into the temple, it was immediately recognized that Rynin had the tools to become a valiant holy warroir of the cause of light and good. He was first schooled in the fist of Pelor (mace) and while learning the formal history of religion (not just his church) while learning to talk about his beliefs in a way that would shed light for others in "the way".

For 11 seasons Rynin performed well for the Temple. BrotherTanzer was pleased allowing Rynin a level of Autonomy not common among most templars. Rynin made the most of his independence traveling around town (returning to the temple at least once per fortnight)and the outlying areas making friends with several people, influential in their own right. Betron, the woods man (ranger)in the town of Deepgreen; Adella of the Oak (Druid) from the North Forest; Oren, Cleric of Tyr in Towerkeep; Dagurtan the Wise (wizard), a council member in Towerkeep; Aric Redface (Fighter / Inn keep) in Tower Keep; Varta, Captain of the Guard; Helene Guildmistress of the Adventurer’s Guild; Jansen the Minstrel; Lorelin, daughter of the Lord of Towerkeep (love interest); along with other dignitaries of the Pelorian Temple and other Allied Temples.

One twighlight in the winter solstice Rynin was returning from a trip home to see his family when he heard a whimper from a house. He had inadvertently come across a necromantic follower of Hextor. In a protracted fight a child’s life is spared and a follower of Hextor’s loses his life…along with Rynin. When the guard comes Varta is immediately called and Rynin’s body is taken back to Temple Pelor immediately. After a day it is decided that the high priest Tanzer will try to resurrect Rynin, a very unusual decision. It is then that strange things begin to happen – it seems Pelor has taken a special interest in Rynin. He is to become the epitome of a warrior of Pelor…and someday he will be a divine emissary – The Voice of Pelor.

This resurrection takes a full week, and when it is complete Rynin returns to life and he looks different. He looked stronger, leaner, and more nimble yet he seemed to have a deeper understanding and respect for those around him. His personality seemed magnetic, yet he said little. He seemed to know that his role had changed, he had been touched by Pelor himself and now realized that he had a larger role with more responsibility and, for that, Pelor had prepared him (transformation to Paragon with bonus feats, etc.) mentally, physically, spiritually, emotionally and had left a material gift, "The Skin of Pelor" (Celestial Armor of the Battalion)

After seeing all of his family and friends again (it seems to him as if he has been gone for years although it had only been a week), Rynin decides that he must prepare himself for the highest level of service. He puts together a long term plan, one that may take years, to prepare himself for his ascension to the title of Divine Emissary.

After researching (By library, Bardic Tale and Divination) for a week, Rynin determines the lessons he must learn and sets out to find a mentor for each discipline.
He approaches the High Priest and asks for permission to pursue his path and is of course given the blessing of the temple and a shield to defend himself ("Gentry’s Aegis") while relating the story of the High Priest Gentry who lived 1000 years ago.

Rynin gathered his belongings, old and new, and set out to meet Aldeenum at the Lycaeum of the Ferric Fist to learn the way peak endurance. Here Rynin conditioned his body and then demonstrated his mastery by traveling for a year with various monks through the Mountains of Tanu Mali. (Manual of Con. / Str / Dex) Within the mountains many treasures were found, including the "Golembane" (Mace of Ruin).

At this point followers of the Pelorian faith have heard that a future emissary has been reborn and have started to congregate to build a stronghold in Towerkeep.
Upon hearing this, Rynin returns to Towerkeep at which time Tanzer turns the local Temple/Stronghold over to him . "It is time for me to build our following somewhere else. These people are here to follow you. You are ready to lead them) Over the next 6 months, while organizing the followers, several gifts are bestowed upon Rynin for various tasks. During this time Rynin enlists the aid of his friend, Jansen, to teach him to be a people’s leader (book for Charisma). Among them is the the necklace "Pelor’s blessing" (Phylactory of Faithfulness). After things are set in motion, Rynin set out to deepen his understanding of the world around him. He sought out the Lost Library of Euchonachs. There he found many insights including the Book of Yavxist (Book of Intel.).

In the next leg of his quest Rynin sought out Zyacia (Emissary of Pelor). They met in the city of Sigil. After a meal and some ideas, Zycia passed on the location of the "Blessed Cudgel of St. Cadrock the Bold" (Holy mace).

After a fortnight at home to heal Rynin is now in search of a worthy steed…His Epic will continue.

djrdjmsqrd

First Post
A question

While I sit here and work on some alts...

Do you/would you allow a Psychic Warrior? I don't recall any of your posts addressing Psi stuff...if not it's ok, have another two ideas/concepts.

Djordje

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads