Expert Tactician

phillipjp

First Post
Since 3ed came out, I've played nothing but spellcasters, and after my wizard's death last night, I'm finally getting the opportunity to play a fighter. (Several of us died at once, and we agreed to switch classes. :D )

Anyway, I was flipping through the warrior feats and came across Expert Tactician in S&F. It grants you an extra partial action when any of your opponents are denied their dex bonus. (I assume this means opponents in melee 5ft away.)

If anyone could post their experiences with this feat, I'd appreciate it. No one in our group has ever used it. How often does a warrior encouter opponents in melee who are denied their dex bonus?

Xarlen

First Post
I had pondered creating a Fighter/Thief that uses feats like that to the utmost; the sneak Attack Master. Imagine.

Human Fighter/Thief. First level: Fighter. 3 feats.

Combat Reflexes, Quick Draw, Flick of the Wrist. Next level, Rogue. He gets nothing. Next level, fighter, Expert Tactician (It's considered a fighter's feat due to the fact it's in S&F).

So, let's look at this. You come up on someone, surprise round. Sneak attack, another attack. Next round, flick of the wrist, sneak attack, second attack.

Let's get this even hashier.

Advance 3 more levels as a rogue. You've passed 4th level, so if you had a nat 18, you get 19. Grab Quicker then the eye. Now, the fun can really begin.

See above, and add, after the second round, this little combo: Quicker then the eye, sneak attack, then on your second attack, use 'FLick of the Wrist' with a second weapon. Sneak attack each round.

Next would be the Arterial strike, at 9th level. Just... Delicious.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Note that ExpTac has been errated and later rewritten - just any partial action was too much, and some wanted more requirements on the feat.

Albereth

First Post
One thing, they have errated Expert Tactician in Song and Silence and it supercedes the rules laid out in Sword and Fist. It no longer grants a partial action. The rule is now:

Expert Tactician (General)

Prerequisite: Dex 13+, BAB +2, Combat Reflexes

Benefit: You can make one extra melee attack (or do anything that can be done as a melee attack or a melee touch attack; including attempts to disarm, trip, or make a grab to start a grapple) against one foe who is within melee reach and denied a Dexterity bonus against your melee attacks for any reason. You take your extra attack when it's your turn, either before or after your regular action. If several foes are within melee reach and denied Dexterity bonuses against your attacks, you can use this feat against only one of them.

jontherev

First Post
Xarlen said:
I had pondered creating a Fighter/Thief that uses feats like that to the utmost; the sneak Attack Master. Imagine.

Human Fighter/Thief. First level: Fighter. 3 feats.

Combat Reflexes, Quick Draw, Flick of the Wrist. Next level, Rogue. He gets nothing. Next level, fighter, Expert Tactician (It's considered a fighter's feat due to the fact it's in S&F).

So, let's look at this. You come up on someone, surprise round. Sneak attack, another attack. Next round, flick of the wrist, sneak attack, second attack.

Let's get this even hashier.

Advance 3 more levels as a rogue. You've passed 4th level, so if you had a nat 18, you get 19. Grab Quicker then the eye. Now, the fun can really begin.

See above, and add, after the second round, this little combo: Quicker then the eye, sneak attack, then on your second attack, use 'FLick of the Wrist' with a second weapon. Sneak attack each round.

Next would be the Arterial strike, at 9th level. Just... Delicious.

Flick of the Wrist is ok, but not that powerful. It's only usable once per combat, not once per weapon per combat, as you have implied. So, it allows you to generate one sneak attack per combat. I suppose it might be usable vs. a different foe though. I haven't thought of that...

Anyway, I think he'd be better off taking Two-Weapon Fighting, Ambidexterity, Combat Reflexes, Expert Tactician, Iron Will, and flanking to get sneak attacks as a Fighter/Rogue. Later on, Weapon Specialization, Improved Crit, Improved TWF, etc. Either that, or make the most of Combat Reflexes and use the Spiked Chain or some other reach weapon. But don't forget that a Fighter/Rogue's will save is worse than either a straight rogue or fighter's is.

Kosh

First Post
Does Expert Tactician allow two attacks when using Spring Attack if the defender has lost his Dex bonus?...

I used to think it did... But the new wording in Song & Silence has got me thinking... It seems that now you would not get another melee attack unless you ended your Spring Attack within melee attack range of your target...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Does Expert Tactician allow two attacks when using Spring Attack if the defender has lost his Dex bonus?...

The extra partial action would come after your other actions, rather than squeezing in in the middle somewhere... by which point he's not within melee reach if you're Spring Attacking.

-Hyp.

Edit : Read it again :)

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Hypersmurf said:

The extra partial action would come after your other actions, rather than squeezing in in the middle somewhere... by which point he's not within melee reach if you're Spring Attacking.
Unless you have a lot of Reach. :D (Some creatures might even have enough Reach to pull this off, actually...)

Crothian

First Post
Kosh said:

I used to think it did... But the new wording in Song & Silence has got me thinking... It seems that now you would not get another melee attack unless you ended your Spring Attack within melee attack range of your target...

You can't squeez partial actions in the middle of full round actions. That is a weakness of the system, but also a balance.

Remove ads