• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer (spoilers)

Also,

Put another Vote for well worth it (at least the Sat Matinee Price).

I thought it was very, very good. Not Great. But close.

Much better than the First one (I thought OK Rental, but that's about it).

Jessica Alba, who can provide a decent performance upon occasion, fails to be able do anything to make me think "Sue Storm". It doesn't help she has a 10 Buck Peroxide Dye Job & some sort of Blue Contacts. Mr Fantastic LOOKS like Mr. Fantastic. That's half the acting job right there. Jessica least resembles her Comic Book Counterpart, thus requiring the best performance to pull it off. She fails miserably.

Everything Else I really liked. I thought it was pretty spot on.

Let me quantify as to "Spot On" as regards to the F4. My exposure comes from 2 sources:

1. Various Sat Morning Cartoons as a kid (a la Spiderman & his Amazing Friends).

2. My wife's Uncle's Comic Collection. Which Begins with Fantastic Four #4 & Silver Surfer #1 and continues on pretty unbroken for a couple hundred Issues each.

Von Doom as Cheesy. Most recurring villians under the Comics Code kinda had to be cheesy & incompetent.

The Thing was Spot on. Way he tends to kids, feels aobut his 'condition' vs his Duty as a Super Hero. And he doesn't have quite the Nerf Suit form the 1st movie (or else I've gotten use to it) All fits in perfect.

Johnnie Storm also fits in just fine. Marketing is just something he'd pull.

Mr Fantastic? Looks so much like him, he doesn't need an Oscar Worthy Performance.

Silver Surfer. He gets his name in the Title for a Reason.

Galactus. I'd have like more hints about the Form in the Cloud. More distinct Outlines, a hint of color here or there. THe cloud looked really cool, I would have like a bit more definition at the end.

I'd give it 7 out of 10 (and 2 of that minus is Jessica Alba).

Spoiler:

Whats this "Stealing Sue's Power Kills her" Stuff. She'd just had a Lance of Cosmic Power through her Left Aorta. That's kinda Nasty. It take awhile to drop from Neg 1 unconsious to Neg 10 Dead. She died to to massive trauma not "Torch has my powers". In fact, Johnnie realizes that he has to take her Powers BEFORE she finally dies & they disappear. It's a good scene.

That's also when Silver Surfer has his "I's Stands all I can Stand & I cant's stand no more" & decides to give old Lard Butt a Cosmic Power Colonics Treatment. I think Sue was more the Straw that Broke the Camel's Back than a DC 500 Diplomacy Check.

Everyone in the theatere (including 2 Gaming buddies more up to date than me on F4) seemed to really like it. Overhearing them, there were a lot of at least casual Comic Fans that thought they really did a good job.

My vote is go.

It an Above Average Movie. Not just an Above Average Comic Book Movie, but a Above Average movie regarless of genre.

DonTadow

First Post
Vraille Darkfang said:
Also,

Put another Vote for well worth it (at least the Sat Matinee Price).

I thought it was very, very good. Not Great. But close.

Much better than the First one (I thought OK Rental, but that's about it).

Jessica Alba, who can provide a decent performance upon occasion, fails to be able do anything to make me think "Sue Storm". It doesn't help she has a 10 Buck Peroxide Dye Job & some sort of Blue Contacts. Mr Fantastic LOOKS like Mr. Fantastic. That's half the acting job right there. Jessica least resembles her Comic Book Counterpart, thus requiring the best performance to pull it off. She fails miserably.

Everything Else I really liked. I thought it was pretty spot on.

Let me quantify as to "Spot On" as regards to the F4. My exposure comes from 2 sources:

1. Various Sat Morning Cartoons as a kid (a la Spiderman & his Amazing Friends).

2. My wife's Uncle's Comic Collection. Which Begins with Fantastic Four #4 & Silver Surfer #1 and continues on pretty unbroken for a couple hundred Issues each.

Von Doom as Cheesy. Most recurring villians under the Comics Code kinda had to be cheesy & incompetent.

The Thing was Spot on. Way he tends to kids, feels aobut his 'condition' vs his Duty as a Super Hero. And he doesn't have quite the Nerf Suit form the 1st movie (or else I've gotten use to it) All fits in perfect.

Johnnie Storm also fits in just fine. Marketing is just something he'd pull.

Mr Fantastic? Looks so much like him, he doesn't need an Oscar Worthy Performance.

Silver Surfer. He gets his name in the Title for a Reason.

Galactus. I'd have like more hints about the Form in the Cloud. More distinct Outlines, a hint of color here or there. THe cloud looked really cool, I would have like a bit more definition at the end.

I'd give it 7 out of 10 (and 2 of that minus is Jessica Alba).

Spoiler:

Whats this "Stealing Sue's Power Kills her" Stuff. She'd just had a Lance of Cosmic Power through her Left Aorta. That's kinda Nasty. It take awhile to drop from Neg 1 unconsious to Neg 10 Dead. She died to to massive trauma not "Torch has my powers". In fact, Johnnie realizes that he has to take her Powers BEFORE she finally dies & they disappear. It's a good scene.

That's also when Silver Surfer has his "I's Stands all I can Stand & I cant's stand no more" & decides to give old Lard Butt a Cosmic Power Colonics Treatment. I think Sue was more the Straw that Broke the Camel's Back than a DC 500 Diplomacy Check.

Everyone in the theatere (including 2 Gaming buddies more up to date than me on F4) seemed to really like it. Overhearing them, there were a lot of at least casual Comic Fans that thought they really did a good job.

My vote is go.

It an Above Average Movie. Not just an Above Average Comic Book Movie, but a Above Average movie regarless of genre.
HOw long does it take to die from a blast of cosmic energy through the chest? Her death was the worst longest death since Trinity in the Matrix.

Reviews like this humor me. You give the movie a 7. Yet say it was slightly above average, which puts it as 5 or 6. You had some major gripes but made yourself enjoy it? Drip writing like this will continue so long as the public does.

Vigilance

Explorer
Dannyalcatraz said:
Possibly even more- the RR character is based on the classic 50's archetype of the distinguished & older scientist with the much younger girlfriend/wife.

Yeah, Reed was a Captain in the OSS during WWII (in classic Marvel continuity).

I think the Wikipedia page on him still has the scene with Capt. Reed Richards meeting with Sgt. Fury. So if we say Sue is 21 in 1966, and Reed was, say, 21 in 1944, that would make him um... 22 years older than her?

DonTadow said:
HOw long does it take to die from a blast of cosmic energy through the chest? Her death was the worst longest death since Trinity in the Matrix.

Reviews like this humor me. You give the movie a 7. Yet say it was slightly above average, which puts it as 5 or 6. You had some major gripes but made yourself enjoy it? Drip writing like this will continue so long as the public does.

I put a Few Things in Bold in the above Quotes.

7 Yep. Everything Else I really liked. I thought it was pretty spot on. I'm sure how that translates to Average, but that was not the impression I wanted to make.

As for the Death Scene. My Grandfather served as an Advance Scout in WWII. His Jeep was hit my a Mine 2 Miles behind Enemy Lines. He managed to Crawl 2 Miles with Multiple Fractures, a Punctured Lung, and Massive Internal Bleeding (the Docs don't know how he managed to actually do it, but I'm here as proof).

Sometimes, people survive things that seem impossible. That's what Super Hero movies are about. I never once thought "When is this going to end". The Camera moved around enough to keep my mind off that.

I went.

I had a very fun time. Laughed out loud. Amazed by visuals. Well aware of Comic Book Plotlines.

I had a few minor (as in Rapid Star Trek Fan Nik-Pick) things that in no-way limited my enjoyment of the film. Aside from Miss Alba I had NO MAJOR GRIPES.

The only real gripe that took away from my enjoyment was Jessica Alba. Due to her Screen time, I gave it a 7. Had they (or her performance) been Spot On, I'd probablly give this a 9.

Of course, I'd have given the 1st one a 4.

So it might be a little bit Relative. (I gave Spidey 3 a 5, yet Spidey 2 a 9; X-2 a 8, X-2 a 2).

So it may have been lowered expectations.

There were a lot of parts where the ENITER Theater erupted in Laughter. Their were parts where the Entire Audience said "Ohhhh, Ahhhhh."

I'm also only a Marginal fan of the F4.

But, I'm more of a Fan after seeing the Movie (The same cannot be said of X-men after X-3).

You hated the movie. Raelly hated. I really liked it.

My wife really liked it (though more of a Spidey fan).

My 2 Gamer Friends I saw it with (both nig Marvel fans) liked it.

I didn't hear a negative reaction coming out of the theatre, but lots of good ones.

Call it Drip Writing if you want...

But it stars a Living Stretch Armstrong Doll for Pete Sakes. Shakespeare it is not.

Richards

Legend
I really don't like the whole "Galactus as a cloud" thing - that really bothered me quite a bit, especially after having read about Mr. Arad reassuring the worried fans that no, no, Galactus isn't a cloud in the movie, that's just a silly rumor, you silly, gullible fanboys.

But here's what I disliked even less: Silver Surfer destroying Galactus by flying inside the cloud and blowing himself up (only not in such a way that the Surfer himself was actually permanently damaged - got to leave room for a sequel or a spinoff!). So apparently, the movie genesis of the Silver Surfer went something like this:

1. Galactus shows up at the planet Zenn-La, intent upon devouring it.

2. Norrin Radd says, "Hey, I'll make a deal with you: if you spare my planet, I'll serve as your herald and find other planets for you to devour!"

3. Galactus thinks it over, and says, "Okay, deal! Here, let me fill you with the power cosmic and give you this nifty surfboard. And you know what? I think I'll even give you enough power to destroy me any time you want to."

Way to go there, Galactus.

Johnathan

Vigilance

Explorer
Richards said:
Way to go there, Galactus.

Johnathan

Eh... I saw it more as him just driving Galactus off, not killing him. Maybe he went to the moon, met the Watcher, got the Ultimate Nullifier and used that? Just off camera? ;)

I admit there were plot holes in the movie. I still loved it. Having seen the first one, I wasnt expecting high art, just something to go with my cheese steak sub. And it was awesome.

John Crichton

First Post
Vigilance said:
I admit there were plot holes in the movie. I still loved it. Having seen the first one, I wasnt expecting high art, just something to go with my cheese steak sub. And it was awesome.
I, too, really enjoyed this movie. MUCH more than the first, even though the first was fun if vastly flawed.

It's not better than X2 or Spidey 2, but better than X1 and Spidey 1.

I hated Doom in both moves and agree that for all her hawtness, Alba isn't right at all for Sue Storm (forget the look/age thing). She's not horrible but has no chemistry with Gruffudd, who BTW was much better in this movie (he found his nutsack!) than the first and actually stood as a major point of entertainment along with Johnny & Ben.

Dire Bare

Legend
Richards said:
I really don't like the whole "Galactus as a cloud" thing - that really bothered me quite a bit, especially after having read about Mr. Arad reassuring the worried fans that no, no, Galactus isn't a cloud in the movie, that's just a silly rumor, you silly, gullible fanboys.

Actually, Arad's response was some clever wording there. He never did say that Galactus WASN'T a giant cloud monster. He DID say that there would be enough of the classic Galactus in there for the fans. We got a "classic" shadow on Saturn as the monster approached Earth, and when the Silver Surfer confronted Galactus's "heart" we see hints of the classic look.

No doubt it was spin control to allay fears of fans, but Arad didn't lie, he just spun words to avoid telling the truth!

Besides, a purple giant approaching Earth would have looked pretty stoopid INMHO. I liked the way they did Galactus in the movie.

Gasp! I just admitted I liked the film! I hope some of the posters here don't try and take away my comic fan member card!

Remove ads