• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Firefly bores me...

Mystery Man

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Mark me down as one big "meh."

You can say that again. I tried watching it while it was on the air and it bored me silly. I was actually silly as all get out for an hour after watching this show.

Klaus

First Post
As for the "rich boy in a tough situation and having to deal with it":

He's not *rich*. He was rich, and educated, and never a dandy. He was a brillian surgeon and had an intention to truly live up to his code and save lives. But he throws it all away to help his only sister. And when he needs the help of the crew to get her treatment, they *refuse*! He has to use his genius-level brain to cook up a way for the crew-help to be profitable. By *stealing medical supplies*!!!

What a doc! :)

Frostmarrow

First Post
Psychic Warrior said:
Hell even Games Workshops' Space Marines use 'bolters' that use a caseless exploding bullet)

Please. Bolts are self-propelled miniature rockets. Man, get a grip.

I agree on everything else you say, though.

;)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm curious: people who didn't care for Firefly, how do you feel about old westerns like Sergio Leone movies? I'm wondering if there's a connection with folks who have exposure and a fondness for the genre.

Bobitron

Explorer
Piratecat said:
I'm curious: people who didn't care for Firefly, how do you feel about old westerns like Sergio Leone movies? I'm wondering if there's a connection with folks who have exposure and a fondness for the genre.

Good point there.

Let's be honest, people, nearly any show has its share of cliches. I like the ongoing, drawn out relationships and the fact that each character's story isn't worn on their sleeve in the first episode.

I thought Firefly was amazing.

DMScott

First Post
Piratecat said:

I'm not much of a Firefly fan - I thought it was OK, but not worth setting time aside for on a Friday night before it got cancelled; apparently I was far from alone in that category. I'm a huge fan of old westerns. Part of the reason I didn't think Firefly was anything special was because the sci-fi/western link has been explored many times, and Joss Whedon et al really didn't add anything.

It really seemed to me that with Firefly Whedon was just riding on reputation and hoping that'd be enough. Turned out it wasn't. C'est la vie.

Wombat

First Post
Piratecat said:

Well, I'm kinda "meh" on Sergio as well -- the only Clint Eastwood film that I regularly enjoy is High Plains Drifter. And the Wild West/Sci-Fi connection felt forced and, often, terribly silly. To me, it felt as if the creators/writers hadn't really settled on what genre they wanted to write, so split the difference and came up with a show that was nae fisshe, nae fowle, nae gude redde herryinge. But that's just a personal taste.

reapersaurus

Explorer
I'm glad you asked that, Pcat:

I'm not a fan of Westerns at all.
They are relics of a time I do not like to see or read about (probably the same reason I wasn't impressed with The Dark Tower).
In my eyes, the genre is too dominated by a gun.

Firefly had that going against it, but also the irrational combination of space-age technology and Westerns.
Westerns are inherently low technology. Space travel is inherently high technology.
To combine the two is fundamentally flawed, in my opinion.

reapersaurus said:
Westerns are inherently low technology.

Well, maybe compared to today, but the world of the 1860s - 1880s was a time of explosive techonological development, much of which laid the building blocks and expectations for the modern world. Transcontinental railroads, the telegraph, dyanmite, you name it. Hell, weapon technology alone changed almost every year. Look at the state of the art during the Civil War to the years just after it - you went from muzzle-loaders to cap-and-ball to shells to the friggin' gatling gun.

To my way of thinking, if you want to look at how rapid technological advancements completely alter civilization, the post-Civil War era isn't a bad period to look to.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Piratecat said:

Let's see... on my shelf...

Hang 'em High

Unforgiven (probably one of the best westerns out there)

Young Guns

Young Guns II

The Quick & The Dead

The Man w/No Name Trilogy

Django/Django Returns

Kung Fu

How the West Was Won

Once Upon A Time in the West

etc... etc... etc...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads