D&D 5E Go Go Gadget Arm! Eberron Preview

WotC just shared this Arcane Propulsion Arm! It functions as a 1d8-dmaage magic melee weapon...

WotC just shared this Arcane Propulsion Arm! It functions as a 1d8-dmaage magic melee weapon which you can throw (don't worry, it flies back and reattaches).

A495C7DA-0EB8-4086-A0E9-7BB005BE3943.jpeg

Kurotowa

Legend
Here's my burning question. Are the magical prosthetic limbs also compatible with warforged attachments like the Armblade and Wand Sheath? Because I think it would be really cool if they were.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I think it raises interesting questions about what magical healing - like cure light wounds - actually DOES. Mechanically, a character cannot lose a limb in D&D (except maybe to a vorpal weapon or similar). But if we allow that dismemeberment can happen, would we allow a cure wounds spell - perhaps of high enough level - to restore a lost limb? Do we need regeneration for that?

Under what circumstances would a character actually end up with a use for this item?

I think it raises interesting questions about what magical healing - like cure light wounds - actually DOES. Mechanically, a character cannot lose a limb in D&D (except maybe to a vorpal weapon or similar). But if we allow that dismemeberment can happen, would we allow a cure wounds spell - perhaps of high enough level - to restore a lost limb? Do we need regeneration for that?

Under what circumstances would a character actually end up with a use for this item?
The DMG has rules options for lingering injuries, with one of the options bejng losing a hand or arm.

It’s up to you to decide when to check for a lingering injury. A creature might sustain a lingering injury under the following circumstances:
  • When it takes a critical hit
  • When it drops to 0 hit points but isn’t killed outright
  • When it fails a death saving throw by 5 or more

ChaosOS

Legend
There's also a regular prosthetic that just eats an attunement slot. Wish it didn't, but if 5e had better injury rules it would be an easy way to say "This setting has more advanced magic and so can treat something that would otherwise take a 7th level spell to do!"

Remove ads

Remove ads