• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good exotic throwing weapons.

Genesist

First Post
I'm trying to make a master thrower (CL 12) with the goal of as many attacks as possible. I'm interested in using the lightning mace warblade weapon aptitude trick (and using limits, this results in an average of 30 attacks a round when using a weapon with 19-20 crit range). Without going into the ridiculous number of feats it has, I'm thinking: swash 1/fighter 1/swordsage 4/master thrower 5/warblade 1.

I have 2 questions:

What good exotic thrown weapons are there? Preferable ones with high crit ranges. Are there anything like assassin's needles? WoTC source please, no dragon magazine (otherwise I'd just be using crescent knife, silly silly weapon). I can think of desert throwing knife, which doesn't seem worth it, and skiprocks, which would lower the crit range, dramatically reducing number of attacks due to lightning mace.

Other questions is what items are there that give a bonus damage to all attacks. Currently I know of some bracers in MIC that give +1d6 lightning damage, which with 30 attacks is alright. Damage is already at an average 800/round.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
You have Tome of Battle classes in there, but no Bloodstorm Blade. ....Why?

Do you not like being able to have an enhancement bonus and special properties on your one (or two if TWF) only weapon(s) by going 4 levels into that? It also basically turns any melee weapon into a legitimate thrown weapon if you don't mind the horrible 10 ft range increment (bracers of extended range from MIC and the Far Shot feat can get that up to 30).

Why would you ever need to do ~800 damage/round?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Throwing Scarab. Get 30 of them, for 1000gp each.

Magic of Eberron p.157 (p.154 for the price). I believe they're a slotless item, stating, "The throwing scarab prefers to attach to its host on the exterior of the hand, appearing like some strange decoration." so I'm interpreting "prefers" to mean optional location.

Free action to draw a shard off this critter, and we all know that regardless if it makes sense or not, there's no limit to free actions. Just say you have 15 of these critters on each arm and you sweep your hands down your arm to draw them all.

1d6 slashing damage followed by 1d6 acid damage each shard. Considered a magic weapon for overcoming DR.

range of 20'.

as an added bonus, you've got 30 friends that have a +5 listen skill and communicate with you telepathically. That's good times right there. And they have Darkvision so you don't have to.

Don't put them all on at once, 1d3 WIS damage attaching or taking one off.

Yeah. It's cheesy, but sounds like that's what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Genesist

First Post
You have Tome of Battle classes in there, but no Bloodstorm Blade. ....Why?

Do you not like being able to have an enhancement bonus and special properties on your one (or two if TWF) only weapon(s) by going 4 levels into that? It also basically turns any melee weapon into a legitimate thrown weapon if you don't mind the horrible 10 ft range increment (bracers of extended range from MIC and the Far Shot feat can get that up to 30).

Why would you ever need to do ~800 damage/round?
Streamofthesky, I've looked at bloodstorm blade, and although a cool class, it is not great for this build. I'm using palm throw, meaning I don't get strength to damage on these attacks. As such strength is a dump stat, making the 2nd level abilities, and many later on useless. A one level dip could be useful, but as it is I don't have any feats available to lose to take it. I'm already missing rapid shot, which I'd like it to have. The build gets improved crit multiplier and crit range from master thrower on a thrown weapon, which melee weapons are not. It just doesn't have synergy with the bloodstorm balde abilities.

The throwing scarab sounds really interesting, I will look into it.

emoplato

First Post
Streamofthesky, I've looked at bloodstorm blade, and although a cool class, it is not great for this build. I'm using palm throw, meaning I don't get strength to damage on these attacks. As such strength is a dump stat, making the 2nd level abilities, and many later on useless. A one level dip could be useful, but as it is I don't have any feats available to lose to take it. I'm already missing rapid shot, which I'd like it to have. The build gets improved crit multiplier and crit range from master thrower on a thrown weapon, which melee weapons are not. It just doesn't have synergy with the bloodstorm balde abilities.

The throwing scarab sounds really interesting, I will look into it.
I think you should rethink your build because right now you have multiclass penalties three ways without a way to add decent damage or be able to invest in all of the weapons to keep up your routine. You need Bloodstorm Blade. While it is most classically used to chuck a power attacked Greatsword off a charge into someone's chest it makes any weapon like a melee attack accept it is thrown. This means it applies to most thrown weapons. The Insightful strike and Shadow Blade feat damages now can apply to your attacks. It also makes for some pretty interesting AoO uses.
Also the lightning mace aptitude trick actually needs crusader to completely work, but that is just wrong to use.
As for good throwing weapons the talenta boomerang is classic to use with boomerang daze to pass daze effects all across the field. The Thrombash from Sandstorm also is a good choice for versatility and doesn't really even need a feat(Exotic Weapons Master).

Last edited:

Genesist

First Post
My group doesn't use multi-class penalties, so that isn't an issue. And it gets wisdom to damage. Starting as a jermlaine and with mods, that's a 30 wis, or +10 to each hit. I can't double my number of attacks if I use bloodstorm blade, overall, a net loss to damage, also makes iajuitsu focus less viable. I think that 800 damage per round pretty clearly shows that it has a decent way to add damage.

emoplato

First Post
My group doesn't use multi-class penalties, so that isn't an issue. And it gets wisdom to damage. Starting as a jermlaine and with mods, that's a 30 wis, or +10 to each hit. I can't double my number of attacks if I use bloodstorm blade, overall, a net loss to damage, also makes iajuitsu focus less viable. I think that 800 damage per round pretty clearly shows that it has a decent way to add damage.
Dude, you are wrong about many things here. That bonus from the Swordsages apply that to strikes of a chosen discipline which mostly are your standard action maneuvers that mostly consist of melee attacks. Iajitsu damage, again only can apply to slashing melee attacks being drawn out and striking a flat-footed opponent. Finally, yes you can eventually because you can use light melee weapons many of which can be thrown and treat them as both melee/ranged. If you want to use this routine than you need a Bloodstorm Blade. You most certainly don't have to take it but then you need extra dice damage fast that can apply to ranged attacks.

Last edited:

emoplato

First Post
Could someone explain how crusader is needed for the weapon aptitude lightning mace combo?
Along with a Disciple of Dispater and the Aura of Resolve stance in the Devoted Spirit discipline a weapon with a great threat range you can declare any check you make as an 11 in that stance. It isn't difficult to get to where you have an infinite attack routine.

Remove ads