• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E hafrogman's Hoard of the Dragon Queen (full)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Yup, 3 unlit torches get.

Cool, thanks. This may sound dumb, but, are druids proficient in throwing things (i.e. can Jeni add her proficiency bonus) to her attack roll?
I imagine that adding her dex modifier is also acceptable (it's a precision attack, not a force one...).

I wonder if you add your strength or dex modifier when throwing a snowball? ;-)

Just clarifying things now so this doesn't slow down combat.
Thanks and cheers,

SG

Forged Fury

First Post
All the weaponized equipment is treated as improvised weapons. Unless you have the Tavern Brawler feat, you aren't considered to be proficient with improvised weapons. As far as attribute, you make a ranged attack. It's a bit confusing considering it's not a weapon, so it isn't a melee weapon or ranged weapon attack. I'd probably go with Dex since you're not really relying on strength for the attack. You're tossing a clay jar at someone and hoping for oil to coat them.

hafrogman

Adventurer
FF has it. It's spelled out in the equipment section.
It is an improvised weapon, you make a ranged attack (dex as it has no special rules to trump the standard ranged attack rules). Range 20ft.

Technically the rules only cover splashing then burning, but I'll allow you to throw a lit pint to ignite it when it hits.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
All the weaponized equipment is treated as improvised weapons. Unless you have the Tavern Brawler feat, you aren't considered to be proficient with improvised weapons. As far as attribute, you make a ranged attack. It's a bit confusing considering it's not a weapon, so it isn't a melee weapon or ranged weapon attack. I'd probably go with Dex since you're not really relying on strength for the attack. You're tossing a clay jar at someone and hoping for oil to coat them.

FF has it. It's spelled out in the equipment section.
It is an improvised weapon, you make a ranged attack (dex as it has no special rules to trump the standard ranged attack rules). Range 20ft.

Technically the rules only cover splashing then burning, but I'll allow you to throw a lit pint to ignite it when it hits.

Ok, thank you both!

FYI, I suddenly have the urge to make a human warrior build, with the tavern brawler feat and the archery fighting style plus the folk hero background who is renowned as the best snowball thrower in the land. This is why humans make the best snowball throwers: they're the only ones that can be proficient at level 1 with the tavern brawler feat. It's a bit weird that the best snowball throwers are also the best brawlers, but hey, that's 5e ;-)

Cheers,

SG

PS: I'm somehow expecting that the archery style doesn't apply to snowballs. Are they technically a ranged weapon? ;-)

hafrogman

Adventurer
PS: I'm somehow expecting that the archery style doesn't apply to snowballs. Are they technically a ranged weapon? ;-)
Yeah, I think the general reading is "Is it on the ranged weapon table?" so snowballs not so much.

That said, if I had a player who wanted to specialize in thrown weapons, I'd slap some sense into them.
But failing that I'd allow them to create a "throwing" style.

Forged Fury

First Post
Yeah, RAW does not, but I don't think I've ever seen anything that would prove it to be unbalanced. Thrown weapons, by raw, are kind of garbage. Especially if you get lots of Extra Attacks, then you run into issues with being able to draw your weapons to throw them all.

kuey1975

First Post
My reading of the rules is that unless a melee weapon has the finesse quality, when it is thrown, it would use strength, not dex. So a improvised melee weapon that is thrown should still use strength, since technically no improvised weapon would have the finesse quality? This is opposed to ranged weapons (i.e. those that launch ammunition) which uses dex.

Hmm, I feel thrown weapons could be a viable build. Many of them can be used both to melee and at range (e.g. handaxe, javelins). It is flexible in that it can be use for melee, then when the situation calls for it, it can be thrown as part of the action, followed by drawing a new one as part of free object interaction. True, this situation might not arise often but it would still look cool. :) The damage is not high (1d6) but if your character is not proficieint in martial weapons, then it doesn't matter.

[MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION], I think Jeni already has torches in her explorer's pack. :)

Forged Fury

First Post
It really depends on whether the improvised weapon is considered a ranged weapon or not. Darts are ranged weapons that are thrown. They have the finesse quality, which allows STR to be used in place of DEX, but DEX would be the default attribute.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Again, I think it boils down to the rules as written.
Finesse > Thrown > Ranged
Since an improvised weapon has neither thrown nor finesse rules, it just defaults to the ranged attack rules. Dex attack.
Which makes sense, really. For all you're strong, you can't really apply your strength effectively when hucking a non-aerodynamic chunk of metal at someone. It's 20' range and deals 1d4 damage, and you use your dex to attack and damage.

Remove ads