• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-orc Scout spearfighter needs feats

Snowy

Explorer
it might be worth point blank shot -> precise shot if you plan on throwing your spear often and there are other melee fighters in your party.

or indeed brutal throw from complete warrior for str based ranged attacks, not sur eon its pre reqs

Darklone

wolfpunk said:
Powerful charge has some definite advantages if you see your character charging into a fight.
While nice and stylish and really liked by Darklone for NPC orc bbn1/scout1 builds (str 22 + rage rocks) with that feat... it's rather weak.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Every scout should get improved skirmish from Complete Scoundrel. How does and extra 2d6 damage and +2 to AC when you move 20 ft or more sound?

2nd Ed Paladin

First Post
Shazman said:
Every scout should get improved skirmish from Complete Scoundrel. How does and extra 2d6 damage and +2 to AC when you move 20 ft or more sound?

I haven't read the feat (and don't have the book) but that sounds overpowered to me. What are the prerequisites?

Scratched_back

First Post
Darklone said:
Hold the Line is a nice feat (CW IIRC) if your opponents like to charge you... which happens rather often if you use Spring Attack. You'd need Combat Reflexes though for all those AoOs, but if you want to do the
- he charges me, AoO from Hold the Line when he enters my threatened area
- he charges on, trip attack with AoO cause of movement
- Imp Trip bash on him
- your turn: Bash him and step backwards 20 ft to enjoy Imp Skirmish! Wait for his next charge after he gets up.

Err... before I speak, I'll hold my hand up to not being majorly experienced with 3.5, but I thought there was a ruling that you could only gain one attack of oppurtunity per round against a singular opponent.

I thought that the main merits of something like combat reflexes and hold the line was to gain an advantage in high-numbers melee.

Of course I may be wrong.

If I am, slap with with a n00b sticker and forgive my sins ;)

werk

First Post
Scratched_back said:
I thought there was a ruling that you could only gain one attack of oppurtunity per round against a single opponent.)

Nope. Once per provokation.

The problem I see is that I thought hold the line went off when the opponent became adjacent, but I don't have my book at the moment.

EDIT: Nope, it trigges when they enter a threatened square...sweet!

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Elusive Target (from Complete Warrior ): The Elusive Target feat enables the use of three tactical maneuvers.

Negate Power Attack: To use this maneuver, you must designate a specific foe to be affected by your Dodge feat. If that foe uses the Power Attack feat against you, the foe gains no bonus on the damage roll but still takes the corresponding penalty on the attack roll.

Diverting Defense: To use this maneuver, you must be flanked and you must designate one of the flanking attackers to be affected by your Dodge feat. The first attack of the round from the designated attacker automatically misses you and may strike the other flanking foe instead; the attacking creature makes an attack roll normally, and its ally is considered flat-footed. If the designated attacker is making a full attack against you, its second and subsequent attacks function normally.

Cause Overreach: To use this maneuver, you must provoke an attack of opportunity from a foe by moving out of a threatened square. If the foe misses you, you can make a free trip attempt against this foe, and the foe does not get a chance to trip you if your attempt fails.

Felix

Explorer
Dannyalcatraz said:
For the rest of my response, you might want to check out DCv1- there are about 10 or so polearm-related feats. In addition to one similar to Short haft, there is another that adds +5 reach, one that lets you use it with FoB, and so forth.

That said, I, too like the selection of Combat Reflexes with a decent dex and, if possible, either Armor spikes or Imp. Unarmed Combat. You stab 'em comin AND goin'!
Most of the polearm feats in the DCv1 required you to either use a full round action to attack, or to ready an attack to brace for a charge. Neither of those two combat options will allow me to use my Skirmish damage, so I think I'll pass on those.

Pike Hedge isn't bad though; triple damage when recieving a charge is nice.

Wish said:
Power attack has a significant drawback for a 3/4 BAB class.
It's not so much Power Attack that I'd be going for; though it would be nice on the two-handed weapon, were I to ever cleave off of a Skirmished attack, the cleave would also have Skirmish damage, and that's where I was going with Power Attack.

Setting up for a big feat chain doesn't seem profitable, because you're already invested in a big chain. With dodge and mobility you qualify for Elusive Target, one of the most powerful defensive feats in the game. You'd have to be getting something very good at 9th level to pass it up.
I'll take another look at Elusive Target, certainly. But as far as the feat chaining goes, the Scout gets 5 bonus feats in his career, so I'm not as starved for feats as most classes.

Darklone said:
Be careful though, this is a tactic for a single frontliner or a mobile party. It's not good if your buddies want you to keep the enemies away from them.
There are two "frontline" types in the party. I'm the rogue. And Hold the Line will get me some free attacks here and there, but I'd rather have a feat that is triggered by me rather than by the enemy.

wolfpunk said:
Powerful charge has some definite advantages if you see your character charging into a fight.
Charging will happen occasionally, but I'm somewhat fragile and want to stay away from toe-to-toe as much as possible. As soon as I manage Spring Attack, I doubt I'll be charging much.

That said, what does Powerful Charge do?

Snowy said:
it might be worth point blank shot -> precise shot if you plan on throwing your spear often and there are other melee fighters in your party.
My original thought was PBS -> Shot on the Run. Which would be very cool with a Returning Spear. It would also require Precise Shot, but I wouldn't have the feats for that until 12th or so. Still, It's an option.

Shazman said:
It sounds like I'd have to convince my DM that it's a feat he'd allow me to have.

Frankly I think the feat would still be worth it if it gave +1d6 and +1 AC.

jontherev said:
There's also deft oppurtunist (I think that's the name) that gives you +4 to AoO's.
Great feat for a Fighter polearm fighter, but I think less so for a scout who gets Skirmish damage when he moves.

Mistwell said:
Elusive Target...
Negate Power Attack: It could happen, but if I'm toe-to-toe with a PA'ing melee brute, I have more to worry about than some extra damage.

Diverting Defense: I'm going to spend much of my time avoiding situations where I'm flanked.

Cause Overreach: I'd rather Tumble through threatened squares instead of maybe getting hit and maybe tripping. I think it's because of my low AC.

Elusive Target actually seems somewhat underwhelming to me. Why is that?

Remove ads