D&D 5E Halfling Weapon Training Gone?

cmbarona

First Post
Am I the only one saddened by the lack of Halfling Weapon Training in the newest playtest packet? I honestly didn't see the problem with it. Granted, it may be because I've only played a Rogue so far. But given that I could just as easily swap out the short sword for a rapier and the sling for a hand crossbow, I don't see the point of the damage adjustment. I guess the dagger could be an outlier as far as proficiencies in other classes go. It just seems Halflings lost a little of their flavor in the newest packet. Anyone else get the same feeling?

Last edited:

Ebon Shar

Explorer
I had a player completely abandon his Dwarven Fighter because the Dwarf lost his weapon training. He claimed the "feel" of the dwarf has been lost and he no longer was comfortable with his character.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
The powergamer in me loved the damage die bump for dwarves, but the classic AD&D fan in me is happy it's just free proficiencies. That said, there should be special race-based items in the masterwork variety, not requiring you to cross your fingers and hope to get that uber rare item. There needs to be a gold sink in the economy for PCs who are too low for magic items, but can afford all the standard gear they could possibly want. If mundane plate costs 5k gp, there should also be a 5k mundane sword to buy. That gives an actual damage bump, not just some fancy jewels on the hilt.

I'd rather race-based feats that are non-damage boosters, but rather maneuvers that only they can do (or would want to). If a halfling can only wield a longsword two handed, that's the perfect guy to hand off that extra flame tongue to, or that fancy short sword that no one else can use. Usually, in any given party, there aren't more than two PCs who favour longswords, by my experience. And even less who prefer short swords. (except the dual wielders...but let's be honest, those rules need to be fixed)

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Happy to see the damage die increase gone, it was minor and fiddly. Proficiency is good, but the system doesn't have anything to offer those already proficient - a related martial feat for that/those weapons would be appropriate. I like the idea of your skill with a weapon becoming more about how you can use it than the traditional to-hit and damage bonuses.

Greg K

Legend
I am glad to see it gone. Now, I wish they would remove the automatic armor and weapon training from dwarves and elves.
Actually, I wish they would remove anything non-biological and add environmental/culture templates that can be added to any race (with GM permission) and guidelines for adjusting existing ones or creating new ones- arctic, coastal, desert, forest, hills, island, jungle, marsh/swamp, plains, river, mountain, rural (farmers and herders in "civilized" areas), woodland, underground, urban.
This would be helpful in designing campaigns- desert or savanna running elves, jungle halflings, swamp dwarves, etc.

Last edited:

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
Elves wielding longswords and bows, and dwarves with their axes and hammers is as old as the trees and the sky and moon!

It's good to have the elf wizard with a backup sword for when he gets melee'd. And playing a dwarven cleric with his battle axe without having to spend a proficiency because he doesn't like hammers.

Remove ads