• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hands of Fate - Chapter 1 - The Orbs of Insight

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Jenson, hearing Nyela warn of some travellers, simply smiles. "This is the mian road lass, and there are bound to be travellers going to and from Springside. Now, if they were not on the road, and near the forest, then that's when you wanna worry." He continues to lead his horses at the same pace, trying to see a little more. "Well, no matter, as we are soon to arrive! Just over the next two hills actually."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As you turn to face the sounds of the horse, you see that it is actually a cart on its way down the road. Turning back the way you were headed, you can still see that Springside is near. Darius can make out the mountains, and what seems like a large walled city. The cart continues its speed towards you, and will be here momentarily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The hooded figure looks at you, but fails to return the smile. "Jonathan was always a strict guy. But still a friend when needed. You would do well to remember his teachings, as they may prove to save your life sooner than you thought possible." Suddenly, he jerks his head towards the west, and peers into the distance. You see nothing, but you sense that something is nearing. The hooded figure pulls out a sphere, small enough to place in his hands, and it glows slightly. He puts it away, and sits down on the rock. "They will be here shortly. Tell me, Belvar. What is the furthest you have travelled from home?"

Krug

Newshound
Nyela tries her best to smile after Jenson's remark. "Well it is good to be near. I wonder what Maximo has to teach us, or specifically, me..." She tosses a stone from hand to hand, catching it in the air deftly.

Last edited:

D'Amico Vega

First Post
Fangor the Fierce said:
As you turn to face the sounds of the horse, you see that it is actually a cart on its way down the road. Turning back the way you were headed, you can still see that Springside is near. Darius can make out the mountains, and what seems like a large walled city. The cart continues its speed towards you, and will be here momentarily.

Darius draws his hand back, letting Gray Sparrow continue, but still keeps his Greatsword by his side. "It's just a cart. Maybe a merchant. What the...-is that Springside? Comon' Sparrow, we are nearly there-I can see the mountains." Darius says as he hides his face in the shadows of his cloak once again as he continues to Springside a little faster than he was before.

Last edited:

Gomez

First Post
Gray Sparrow looks back at the cart and tries to make out who is driving it. She then looks ahead to the sight of Springside. "Humm, we were closer than I thought." She motions back towards the cart. "The owner of that cart ia most likely a local."

D'Amico Vega

First Post
Gomez said:
Gray Sparrow looks back at the cart and tries to make out who is driving it. She then looks ahead to the sight of Springside. "Humm, we were closer than I thought." She motions back towards the cart. "The owner of that cart ia most likely a local."

"You may do what you want with him. I'm just going straight to Springside." Then Darius quickens his pace and passes the cart as it comes by him.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
As each of you looks around, you all begin to hear a low rumbling sound. The skies begin to thicken with black clouds, gathering above your heads. The trees of the forest sway with dismay, as the winds pick up. Those who can see the small hooded figure that had gathered you now see that he has disappeared. The ones in the cart now see that the horses are spooked, and seem to sense something that they do not like. They will not move forward another inch.

Then you hear it. The very ground you are one rumbles from the clashing of thunder, right above your heads. Lightning strikes near the cart, sending debris into the air, and you can smell the burn of grass and rock. The ones on the road see them first, as they charge out of the woods, straight at you, with weapons held to attack. Arrows fly into the air, and the thuds can be heard, as they hit the cart and horses, dropping one immediately. You hear their shouts, sparatic and senseless. "The Prophecy will not be finished", "You will never live to know the truth", "Die, you chosen ones". You can see the frantic warriors pour forth, surrounding you all. With luck and skill, you all manage to hold them off somehow, as if the gods were watching with great interest as to the outcome. But the odds are too much, and you all begin to falter. Then it halts. You are there, panting heavily, rain now pouring down. You can see the blood on the ground, soaked from those that have fallen to your blades.

"The runts have fire in them. I will give you that much. But you will not live long enough to know what it means. Your power will never awaken. This will be your graveyard." The voice comes from a well armoured man. His cloak covers most of his body, but you get glimpses of his armour underneath. In his hands, he is wielding a great warhammer, with strange markings on it. "Your death is near, and I am here to deliver it!" With outstretched hands, his fingertips begin to glow, and you suddenly feel an overwhelming pain. It is not in one place, but all over. Your very flesh burns to the core, causing you all to scream in pain, dropping your weapons and falling to your knees, crying out in agony. As you lay there, you look up, not being able to defend yourselves or move in any manner. You can't even speak, for the pain is too much for you. The enemy moves in, and raise their weapons, and you see the glints of their steel as they crash downwards, towards your bodies. And then a white flash sears over you, and you can neither hear, nor feel, not see anything.

You awake, in a sweat. Frantically you look around, and realize that you have just awoken. You are in a small cot, and you share this room with more. The noise you hear is a gong being hit. You do not know why, but it sounds familiar. As you raise up to get a look around, you notice that the others in your dream are laying in beds around you as well. A small cabinet along the wall has small containers and bandages. Then you hear someone approach. Reactively, you reach for your belongings, but notice that they are not here. What is going on? Was that a dream? Then a woman walks in. "Sure am glad that you all are alright. Must have been a nasty fever, to have knocked you out like that. Still kinda strange though, that Maximo said you all had the same illness at the same time. But he has seen more in this world than I would ever dare to imagine. Now drink up, as he says that when you awake, you must go see him immediately. I will show you the way. Now come along."

OOC - Ok, I need a roll call, to see who all is still in this...Sorry for the long intro, but I was trying to get all of your characters in the story before you set out, and this was one way to do it. Seems as though I will have to modify things when I get a count of who is still in this. You are just about to start your fisrt quest, so I would like to know who can still play, and if someone is out, then let me know, so I can ammend the story.

Krug

Newshound
Nyela wipes her brow, wondering about the dream. She hurriedly gets dressed, trying to restrain her messy hair before seeing Maximo. I hope she's used to scruffy halflings, Nyela thought to herself.

Still in. :)

Last edited:

Gomez

First Post
Gray Sparrow tries to sit up and fails on her first attempt with a groan. Laying there she tries to clear her mind and gather her strength. Slowly she sits up and looks around. "Where am I?" she says and then looks at the woman "Who are you?"

OCC:Still in! ;)

Last edited:

Lefferts

First Post
Nedander sits up and holds his head. "What happened to us?" He then looks for his stuff, and if successful in his search, takes a swig from the whiskey.

OOC: I'm still here.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads