• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hands of Fate - Chapter 1 - The Orbs of Insight

D'Amico Vega

First Post
"What in the hell just happened?" Darius yells in anger, as he hides his face yet again. "Who were those bastards? Why am I sick? Where's my equipment?! I'll tear their throats out!"

Last edited:

Drakknyte32

First Post
Kevin wakes with a start. He is on his feet and reaching for his chain before he realizes that he is in a different place and not surrounded by enemies. At least he hopes he isn't, that one man sounds like he is in a very bad mood. But no, that woman mentioned Maximo, and that was who he was here to see.

After a few limbering up exercises Kevin follows the woman, keeping a careful eye on his surroundings and his 'comrades' just in case.

OOC:
Present and accounted for, Sir!

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
The woman, seeing how you are all a little startled, shakes her head slightly. "Must have been a nasty dose of whatever took you all by surprise! Seems as though you don't remember anything. I wasn't told much, only that you had been sent for, by Maximo and Ferro. Ferro is the one that tracked each of you down. Then all of a sudden, you are being carried in here unconscious, and obviously in some sort of state. That was yesterday. You all slept through the night, and I could tell you had nightmares, but that's all. Maximo bid me to make sure you are safe and to take you to him the moment you awake. Your belongings are underneath your cots. Nothing has been removed and everything should be accounted for. Now, if you are ready, you can use those bowls over there with fresh water to clean up, but you must hurry."

She points to the side of the room, with a few cleaning bowls, for freshening up. Nyela notices a brush to the side, which she may use to brush her hair hurredly. You each notice that your belongings are stowed underneath your cots, and everything is there, except for your red cards, which accompanied your letters. The woman knows nothing about the cards, or the letters. She only bids you to clean up and follow her to where Maximo awaits.

OOC - Looks like we lost the cleric...unless they post before the next update, I will have to write him out.

Krug

Newshound
Nyela splashes water on her face, and starts to brush her hair. She briefly introduces herself to the others. "I am Nyela, pleased to meet you." She then follows the woman as instructed.

Lefferts

First Post
Nedander finishes taking a swig of his whiskey and waves
to Nyela. He then goes over to the water basins and washes
his face.

D'Amico Vega

First Post
Darius takes his Greatsword out from underneath his cot, and throws his backpack over his shoulders. Then says "Darius.", and exits the house, on his way to Maximo.

Gomez

First Post
Used to taking orders, Gray Sparrow quickly washes her face and ties back her hair. She stretches her muscles and then follows with the rest as they leave.

Last edited:

Drakknyte32

First Post
Kevin checks under the cot and is relieved to see his things there. Most of it could be replaced easily enough but the spiked chain was special, it had belonged to Jonathan when he had just been starting as an adventurer. It would have been horrible to have lost it so soon after he began his own career.

But as he was searching through his stuff he couldn't find the ring. He got worried for a second and was about to call out to the lady when he remembered he had put it on his finger earlier. Sure enough it was right on his finger where he had left it.

Feeling slightly embarresed Kevin follows the others out. He gives Nyela a shy smile and introduces himself to the others.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
As each of you clean up, the woman waits patiently. Watching Nedander take his drink, she sighs and gives him a cold stare. After you gather your belongings, she motions for you to follow her. As you follow her, you begin to notice that this is not a house, but actually a room used for treating injured students from the academy. As you exit, the sun glares down, and you lose your sight for a second. The sounds of wood smashing against wood can be heard, along with some small thudding sounds nearby. As your vision clears, you find yourself in an open area, obviously a training ground. Following the woman, you are watched by students performing their daily tasks. Sparring students use wooden versions of swords and weapons, and the quick thudding sound is found to be arrows hissing through the air at straw dummies placed against a wall.

"Maximo has the students start early. Never too early for training, he always says. But I am sure you will find that out soon enough. This is the second training ground. The first is near the fronts doors, which are behind you. We are heading to the study, where Maximo keeps most of his time."

You notice that the students halt their practices, watching you and whispering. You can't tell what they say, but know that they are concerned for some reason. The training ground is about 30 feet wide in the center, with walkways on either side, 10 feet wide themselves. Along these walkways, you can see doors on both sides, and upon passing them, you see that they are rooms for sleeping. The students must stay here at night. The end of the training ground that you are walking away from has an archway on both walkways leading towards the front of the academy. Where you are heading, is the back wall. There is a set of double doors there, and one is open.

"And here we are. Please watch your manners!" The woman shows you the doorway and waits for a second before walking away. You can hear voices in the room, and enter. As you walk in, you spy shelves of books lining the rear wall. The the left, a desk with vials, beakers, and other arcane things litter the top. To the right is another desk, but with scrolls and parchment scattered around. And then you see the hooded figure from before, now known as Ferro. He watches you, and does not speak. Next to him, you see a man that must be Maximo. He stands a full six feet five inches tall, and solidly built for his age. His eyes are grey and calculting. His face is stern, with a small scar on his chin. He wears a long sleeved shirt, with a vest on the outside. The vest has seen many a day, but seems to fit him well.

"Ah, I see that you are all ok? Must have been some nightmare you had last night, as Nurse Leeza has warned me. But enough of that. It's time to answer a few questions. What was the last thing you each remember? You must have each caught a glimpse of Springside before it happened, right? Well, I am just glad Ferro was there. Seems as though you each passed out at the same time. Ferro had Jenson load you all up and bring you here. And now for the main question I am sure you all are asking yourselves. Why are you here... Well, I wish I could tell you, but instead, I must show you. Each of you is unique, in your own way, as everyone else in the world. But to a select few, there lives potential. If you can pass a certain deed, then everything will be disclosed to you. But for now, I can only say that there is a great quest that must be fulfilled. In the process, you will learn a great deal, and have many adventures in the time being. The world's fate may be in your hands. But enough of that, as it is time to decide. There is a cave, about an hours walk southeast of here, along the foot of the mountains. You can find it by following the creek out of town, and when you reach the edge of the forest, look to your left, at the base of the mountains. Begin searching and you should find the cave, as it is hidden from those not looking. Inside this cave, there are a set of spheres that you must retrieve. When they are retrieved, then everything that I know shall be divulged to you. It is not a simple task, as there are sure to be a few things still lurking in that cave. So watch your step. That is all I can tell you of why you are here. But you must hurry and retrieve the spheres and bring them back here. If you are who I think you are, then only you can retrieve the spheres. Once this is completed, you will all understand why. But this is your decision, and once I know who agrees to this, then we can go forward."

He stands, waiting for you all to take in his words and make a decision.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads