D&D General Hasbro Q and A with Chris Cocks has some details about the movie production and DnDBeyond .

Jaeger

That someone better
Consider DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, a year after integrating eOne, we had greenlit a movie with Paramount, our co-production partner, at a blockbuster budget with amazing talent in front of and behind the camera. We are on track to launch that film in March 2023 alongside a wave of games, consumer products, toys, licensing partnerships and digital experiences.

2023, the year of D&D... That is a very ambitious roll out.

Hooooo boy that film had better not be mediocre, suck, or just get released into a bad situation re: other major releases.

^This^

IMHO Hasbro has a lot riding on the success of all this stuff to put D&D over as a 'lifestyle' brand.

The potential for "D&D" to make money with Toys, Video games, Tv, and Movies is exponentially bigger than anything that it will ever do as an RPG.

But they really need all those thing to not suck for their plan to work. Because that is a big investment in cash coming out all at once that can be soured if the Movie is mediocre, the Tv series bombs, or the videogames are crap.

Some of that verbiage I don’t understand, can you explain it?
You mean the latter half re: EBITDA? I have to admit, whilst I am familiar with EBITDA from doing research stuff, I have no idea what "a favorable 8 times trailing twelve-month EBITDA multiple" is. Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR), if I understand correctly, is basically about how much money you put in vs. how much something grows - so it's not the literal growth rate - they're not saying D&D Beyond is growing 50% year-on-year, they're saying the value of investing X amount in D&D Beyond is increasing by 50% year-on-year. The "compound" bit is because it hasn't actually grown steadily - this is a smoothed out number. So it might actually have had spikey growth, or grown more earlier or later, but if you smooth it out over the times its existed, you get this value. Financial bods feel free to correct me or explain the "8 times trailing..." deal.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
You mean the latter half re: EBITDA? I have to admit, whilst I am familiar with EBITDA from doing research stuff, I have no idea what "a favorable 8 times trailing twelve-month EBITDA multiple" is. Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR), if I understand correctly, is basically about how much money you put in vs. how much something grows - so it's not the literal growth rate - they're not saying D&D Beyond is growing 50% year-on-year, they're saying the value of investing X amount in D&D Beyond is increasing by 50% year-on-year. The "compound" bit is because it hasn't actually grown steadily - this is a smoothed out number. So it might actually have had spikey growth, or grown more earlier or later, but if you smooth it out over the times its existed, you get this value. Financial bods feel free to correct me or explain the "8 times trailing..." deal.

Reading that made me think of:

1653585250824.png

Remove ads