• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Hey, are we all cool with having to buy the same book twice, or what?

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
It's actually a bit questionable to weaponize those cherry-picked incidents in your argument that you want PDFs.

It's relevant inso much that as a company we shouldn't take them at their word that it's for our best interest they don't offer PDFs, as a decade plus tax evasion scheme, for example, clearly shows that they don't have our best interest at heart.

oh wait, the happiness of one is based on the suffering of another, nevermind.

Christ.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I thought the way we change behavior we don't like in the market is to make our voices heard and vote with our wallets?

Not buying their virtual copies and complaining about it on a public forum seems to fit the bill to me.

I don’t know if it’s a matter of the topic itself or with how you’ve chosen to frame it, but I feel this thread has achieved the opposite, don’t you? If anyone at WotC actually read it, they’d come away with the conclusion that the approach they’re taking is reasonable to most people.

Yeah, we want them to not pay taxes and utilize indentured servitude to make their toys.

But if they gave you a PDF of the PHB you’d be cool with them?

Clearly, yours is not an issue with morality or else you’d not support them regardless of their stance on PDFs. So why bring it up?

It's relevant inso much that as a company we shouldn't take them at their word that it's for our best interest they don't offer PDFs, as a decade plus tax evasion scheme, for example, clearly shows that they don't have our best interest at heart.
I mean, you don't have their best interest at heart considering you want their work for free.

Can you put forth an actual rebuttal, or not?

Parmandur

Book-Friend

That's not relevant, as one doesn't follow from the other. Insofar as the customer's experience is in their best interest, and for a game and toy company customer experience is literally everything (indeed, the relatively shady things you point to are corners cut for customer experience and profit, no doubt), the logical assumption is that they are pursuing what they perceive to be the optimal customer experience for the largest number of people. And that's cool, to again reiterate the correct answer to the OP.

I'll just drop here again to say that if there was ever an appropriate time for WotC to revert their policy on selling PDF versions of their books, now would probably be the right time.

Remove ads