• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General How do players feel about DM fudging?

How do you, as a player, feel about DM fudging?

• Very positive. Fudging is good.

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Positive. Fudging is acceptable.

Votes: 41 22.4%
  • Neutral. Fudging sure is a thing.

Votes: 54 29.5%
  • Negative. Fudging is dubious.

Votes: 34 18.6%
  • Very negative. Fudging is bad.

Votes: 49 26.8%

• Poll closed .

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Really? I've seen several mentions of fudging to avoid dangerous encounters for reasons of pacing and possible PC death (werewolves) as well as for metagame concerns like Bob's player having a bad day or a string of other failures.
There have been very, very few people saying that. You've probably been looking at the same person or two people.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
You do realize that almost nobody on the pro fudging side is suggesting that fudging be used that way, right?

One of the problems with threads like this (that go so long and get contentious) is that people start drifting to extremes both in caricaturing other people's positions and even with their own stances.

It's something I'm careful to avoid, but really have to watch myself in threads like this.

soviet

Hero
One of the problems with threads like this (that go so long and get contentious) is that people start drifting to extremes both in caricaturing other people's positions and even with their own stances.

It's something I'm careful to avoid, but really have to watch myself in threads like this.
Well, I don't mean to be doing that, and I apologise if I have.

I am confused why that situation wouldn't be considered a candidate for fudging, given that Bob is stated to be at low HP and so a fight might potentially prove fatal. But it's tangential to my point, which was merely to illustrate the different approaches in terms of gameplay excitement. You can change the roll to 'an attack against Bob that will kill him if it hits' and the principle of it remains the same.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I suggest that if you retain a veto over the dice, to an extent you are deciding each time (at least, where fudge-appropriate circumstances apply).
The parenthetical feels like it makes all the difference in the world. If it almost always (or even often) is a possibly fudge appropriate circumstance, then that does seem problematic to me!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I suggest that if you retain a veto over the dice, to an extent you are deciding each time (at least, where fudge-appropriate circumstances apply).
This is an incorrect statement. It falsely assumes that there are going to be circumstances outside of rigidly set up parameters where fudging might happen.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I am confused why that situation wouldn't be considered a candidate for fudging, given that Bob is stated to be at low HP and so a fight might potentially prove fatal.
Because fudging =/= keeping PCs alive. Possible or even probable death isn't the criteria for fudging for most of us.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The parenthetical feels like it makes all the difference in the world. If it almost always (or even often) is a possibly fudge appropriate circumstance, then that does seem problematic to me!
Yep. At that point there's no point in rolling and the DM should just be deciding what happens, which seems like a terrible way to play. Not jus because of the lack of fun, but it's also way too much work!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads