How I'd fix Star Wars

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
IMO, Star Wars hasn't had a great movie since 1980. There hasn't been a film in the series where the ending wasn't a forgone conclusion since 1983.
Since 1999 it's been "filling in the gaps" of unnecessary and tired retreads.
Let's see Han Solo become Han Solo. Let's see Darth Vader and Boba Fett be little kids. Maybe we can see how the Rebels got the Death Star plans? Maybe we can watch a decade long animated series about unimportant battles between Episodes 2 and 3 that change nothing about the world or core characters?
I was a pretty big Star Wars fan until 1998. Ever since the prequels started coming out, the entire brand has become an embarrassment.
Yea, no.

I know how WW2 ended but that doesn't mean you can't tell a good WW2 story.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Things that are broken for me in Star Wars:

1. The good guys condone slavery (droids and clones).

2. The good guys condone taking children from their families and teaching them that any form of emotional connection leads to evil (the Jedi order).

3. Over-emphasis on family lineage as a key to heroism (Skywalker family).

I'm not holding out much hope of these being fixed in the near term, but maybe we'll get there.
To this list I would add, the Jedi Order is above the law, answerable only to the Jedi Council.
And these are all problems introduced by Lucas.
The whole "Balance of the Force" element has always bugged me. The Jedi Order is in charge for a millennium or more, what way did they think it was unbalanced and why not take the steps themselves.

The fun fact is maybe it is now so bad idea. A retelling with a retro/vintage look. Maybe an animated production. I say it seriously. It should be easier than starting from zero, and there is not a fandom complaining about loyalty to the spirit.

MarkB

Legend
The fun fact is maybe it is now so bad idea. A retelling with a retro/vintage look. Maybe an animated production. I say it seriously. It should be easier than starting from zero, and there is not a fandom complaining about loyalty to the spirit.
Wanna bet? Reboots of beloved properties elicit plenty of protest. Look at Battlestar Galactica. People were sending hate messages to Katee Sackhoff before the series even began, just for daring to be cast as a female Starbuck.

Remove ads