How I'd fix Star Wars

Yeah the Disney empire is in real trouble. I'm hearing even the parks are starting to hurt, its going to get way worse when Universal finishes building its new parks and adds a Lord of the Rings park.
The most recent quarterly earnings showed a 20% increase in profit at their parks, up to $2.2b. If that's hurting, most companies can only dream of that level of hurt. Is everything going amazing? No, they've had some movies under-perform and streaming continues to be something they're looking to find the right level of investment and pricing to maintain their subscriber count. They still have more subscribers than pretty much any platform not called Netflix so no real reason to panic there.

Thousands are being fired and Disney is losing key personal.
Name a major company that isn't laying people off right now. You might also have noticed there's a writer's strike on-going. That is impacting the ability to move forward on planned movie and TV projects so inevitably some of the people who would have been working on those projects have been let go when the filming they were involved in completed. It's really not hard to figure out why that stuff is happening.

Wanna bet? Reboots of beloved properties elicit plenty of protest. Look at Battlestar Galactica. People were sending hate messages to Katee Sackhoff before the series even began, just for daring to be cast as a female Starbuck.
And the Star Wars fanbase in particularly is known for not getting upset at all over any changes in the films. Some of the calmest and most rational people you'll ever meet. A reboot that changes even the slightest thing would go over well, I'm sure of it. I mean as long as the reboot changes all the things I want them to change, while leaving the stuff I like alone.

S'mon

Legend
The fun fact is maybe it is now so bad idea. A retelling with a retro/vintage look. Maybe an animated production. I say it seriously. It should be easier than starting from zero, and there is not a fandom complaining about loyalty to the spirit.

Hm. I'd love a super-retro reboot of Star Wars based off the original Ralph Maquarrie (sp?) artwork - stormtroopers with shields et al.

I feel there was a lot implied in the original film & novel that was never followed up on, as the series went in a different direction. Eg the Force wasn't shown as involving any telekinetic or energy powers, but purely about an enhanced connection to other living things.

But I guess the Jundland Wastes are not to be traversed lightly.

Ryujin

Legend
Wanna bet? Reboots of beloved properties elicit plenty of protest. Look at Battlestar Galactica. People were sending hate messages to Katee Sackhoff before the series even began, just for daring to be cast as a female Starbuck.
Hell, she was the best thing to come out of that show. If you've never seen "Sexy Evil Genius", it's worth the time.

E3y1p9XWQAMlhVT.jpg

There are some SW rip-off. I remember watching "Message from space" when I was a little child. Those IPs shouldn't be too expensive to be acquired.

Today the main potential source for new space fantasy franchises are videogames and anime.

I don't know the American indie market but some comic publishers could try something.

Here the challenge is the worldbuilding. Here we need space for future spin-off, and the main metaplot not too linked with a little group of characters.

A retelling of Buck Rogers or Flash Gordons is possible, but this has been tried in the comics.

Ryujin

Legend
E3y1p9XWQAMlhVT.jpg

There are some SW rip-off. I remember watching "Message from space" when I was a little child. Those IPs shouldn't be too expensive to be acquired.

Today the main potential source for new space fantasy franchises are videogames and anime.

I don't know the American indie market but some comic publishers could try something.

Here the challenge is the worldbuilding. Here we need space for future spin-off, and the main metaplot not too linked with a little group of characters.

A retelling of Buck Rogers or Flash Gordons is possible, but this has been tried in the comics.
Buck Rogers was going quite well. Then.... season 2 <SHUDDER>

Remove ads