D&D (2024) How is Flex still a thing?

a "everything else I can do doesn't work, so I will use this option" and since that seems to be the best thing Flex has going for it, then that explains why it keeps being refered to as an incredibly poor option. If you CAN use anything else... you generally WILL.
You leave out all the players who forget how to roll initiative between sessions. Then there are the people who want to twitch-game, acting instantly because they find tactical minutia boring, and want to get straight to dice rolling.

Those people should take Flex every time so it can be baked into their character sheet.

Because otherwise no, they WON'T do anything else even if they CAN, because anything else is NOT fun for them.

Stalker0

Legend
Because if you assume you are going to hit, then Graze isn't going to be applicable. Just like if you have an enemy immune to prone, then topple isn't applicable. Sure, that option exists, but it is once more a "everything else I can do doesn't work, so I will use this option" and since that seems to be the best thing Flex has going for it, then that explains why it keeps being refered to as an incredibly poor option. If you CAN use anything else... you generally WILL.
I agree with notion that flex is the thing you do when nothing else is on the table....but I disagree that innately makes it a bad choice. It just means that the other masteries excel in their niche....which they should. The real question is "how broad are those niches?"

In an extreme example, if I have 2 things. I can use one of them 10% of the time, and when I can use it I always do. I mean that's great, but if I'm using my other thing 90% of the time its still pretty good.

If I'm a fighter I might choose two other weapon masteries, but then for my third I might choose flex for when I don't want to mess with finesse and just want damage. It isn't going to be the first choice in most scenarios, but if my first choice doesn't work in a lot of scenarios, well then flex is still solidly useful.

I never said graze wasn't good. I said flex wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be.

Graze and flex are both reliable, simple options.

But one is explicitly one handed, the other is 2 hands. They are not directly competing.
Flex is boring.

And it takes away from what makes a versatile weapon cool:
Being able to use it in 2 hands normally, but also in one hand, if you are using your other hand to grab.

So I would like to have a better option.

Since we already have an option for shove (trip) and shove (push) I would suggest:

Grab: if you hit with a versatile weapon, you can initialize a grab for free. Done.

Pauln6

Hero
Flex would not be as bad if the weapons that are used by it are better in damage department.
A one die bump is not enough? Are you suggesting that versatile weapons should do more damage than two handed weapons but be usable one handed? This is at will first level and can be acquired via a feat. You will need to work harder to convince me that this a good idea.

A one die bump is not enough? Are you suggesting that versatile weapons should do more damage than two handed weapons but be usable one handed? This is at will first level and can be acquired via a feat. You will need to work harder to convince me that this a good idea.
For masters, naturally two handed weapons also have a mastery of their own.

Remove ads