• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How is Flex still a thing?

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The weapons table itself needs the fix.

• 1d8 (Versatile 1d12)
• 1d6 (Finesse, Versatile 1d10)

Possibly, the Staff too is 1d6 Bludgeoning (Finesse, Versatile 1d10).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My wife plays a two weapon vengeance Paladin, using a house rule that all classes that get fighting style can choose any fighting style. She has the Dual Wielder feat.

She’s basically a metal album cover as a D&D character, with long blood-red hair, a billowing crimson cape, over black enamel plate with wolfshead pauldrons and inlaid rose vines with blooming roses. Her battle axe is bearded and has complex engravings depicted a fell hunt, and her longsword is cut from a solid piece of pure obsidian, perfectly balanced and magically preserved against wear.

She’s happy that only one of her weapons has a mastery that needs any remembering, and she can just change the damage die of her longsword to d10.

Sulicius

Adventurer
I can't call that designing. That's just throwing tasty popcorn at the party for everyone's enjoyment. No thought or careful crafting necessary.
I like popcorn.

My players like popcorn.

Giving the players a chance to feel how much more powerful they have become compared to their beginnings is a very important part of pacing, story and appreciation of when things do get tough. Variations in high and low tension is core to any designed experience.

I am a player in a campaign where the DM has had a deadly encounter whenever we fight. It is tiresome and not fun that EVERY fight requires me to go all out. It really forces players into a 5 minute adventuring day even more.

The better design IMO is switching things up. Give varied challenges that make sense in the world and the story.

Sulicius

Adventurer
Something i try to do, as long as it doesn't disrupt the story too much..

Is that every 2 levels or so, i have them fight the same battle.
Oh yeah I like that, where they fight enemies they fought before.

The story is about the PC’s getting stronger, right? It’s pretty core to the D&D experience.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads