D&D (2024) How Will They Fix Warlock Spellcasting Issues?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
This seems perfectly reasonable to me, though it does have the same potential problem that channel divinity had when it was prof uses per day of being very abusable with multiclass dipping.

I could fill the entire forum with multiclassing problems in 5E. It breaks so many parts of the game, it's no wonder that they made it an "optional" rule.

We use different rules for multiclassing, specifically to prevent this "dipping" phenomenon. I won't go into too much detail so as not to derail the thread, but the gist of it is this: if a character wants to multiclass, I work with the player to write a whole new "core" class that combines the two classes. We don't do it smorgasbord-style like the DMG suggests.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Yeah I heavily dislike abilities being tied to initiative, as it basically invalidates campaigns which are combat based. If you're using all your spell slots for non combat purposes, but only getting them back at the start of combat, you're going to be left sitting there like a lemon for most of the game.

It also opens up inexperienced DM's to the 'bag of rats' problem, where players take advantage of their mechanics to regain their abilities.

It also removes the entire point of resource management. Rationing your abilities to use at the right time is a major part of the game. Just getting them back whenever a fight starts just kills that.
It can work if that's the style of play that your group is used to, and if you have the right kind of social contract at the table.

See, the DM already knows that you are low on resources, and has known it for a while--I mean, they're right there at the table with you, listening to you spend those resources all night long. It would be weird if they didn't! So if it feels like those abilities aren't recharging fast enough, the players know that there's a reason for that. It's possible that the DM is trying to build tension, or trying to set the pacing, or trying to balance the party's power level against an upcoming encounter, or any other number of things that might be happening on the other side of the screen.

Or the DM might be a jerk who's out to "get you" and enjoys laughing at your misery. And if that's the case, you have a bigger problem and a different recharge mechanic won't change anything.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
I could fill the entire forum with multiclassing problems in 5E. It breaks so many parts of the game, it's no wonder that they made it an "optional" rule.

We use different rules for multiclassing, specifically to prevent this "dipping" phenomenon. I won't go into too much detail so as not to derail the thread, but the gist of it is this: if a character wants to multiclass, I work with the player to write a whole new "core" class that combines the two classes. We don't do it smorgasbord-style like the DMG suggests.
this.

take 2 classes.
take 2/3rd of their class features together.
spread them over 20 level. That comes down to 13/13 split.
trade away power for more versatility in more lower level feature.

mellored

Legend
This needs to be the case in any version of the short rest.
I.E. if short rest is an action limited times per day, then wizard can get arcane recovery every time.
Wizards have 3 features that lets them cast extra spells. Just tweak them a bit.

Level 2: arcane recovery.
At the end of a long rest, select a level 1 spell. You can cast this spell once without expending a spell slot. You regain this feature when you take a short rest.
At level X you can instead (also?) select a level 2 spell.

Or some such.
And then we can get rid of insane mechanics of "when you roll initiative".

What exactly is that?
When the DM calls for it.

I don't think it's a good way to do it. But it is in the DMs hands.

Remathilis

Legend
MYSTIC CONNECTION
If you spend at least 1 minute resting, you can
recover spell slots as if you had finished a Short Rest.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again
until you finish a Long Rest.

mellored

Legend
I think they will have a unique recharge method which isn't a short rest.
It would be pretty cool if each subclass had their own patron specific recharge mechanism.

Like infernal might have "the target of your hex dies and is your CR or higher" or some such.

Remove ads