• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How Will You Be Generating Stats in 5E?

How will you generate stats in 5E?

• 4d6 drop lowest

Votes: 101 48.3%
  • Point buy

Votes: 102 48.8%
  • Elite array

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • Other (describe)

Votes: 27 12.9%
  • None of the above

Votes: 1 0.5%

Crothian

First Post
It will be 4d6 drop the lowest. There will be a safety net of some array they can take instead if they roll bad. There will also be a possible ceiling if a player works too well. It will be discussed with the players first so we can decide based on what everyone wants.

keterys

First Post
Having just witnessed the ridiculousness of a campaign with rolled PCs, I'm not rolling, I know that.

Though it does turn out that one of them didn't understand 4d6 drop the lowest, so was just rolling 4d6. We only figured that out when she made her next character, though.

I used to do a method with cards where everyone got the same # of total stats, with imperfect control over how. Maybe I'll try and dig that up again. Or just shrug and go with point buy.

Mercurius

Legend
What is "elite array?"

Anyhow, like Crothian I'll probably have the players do 4d6 drop lowest, then have a back-up array of something like 16, 14, 14, 12, 12, 10 - which is "elite" compared to the standard array, but not outrageous. Maybe that and the option for 18, 14, 12, 12, 10, 8.

I also like the old drop one stat by 2, add 1 to another.

Li Shenron

Legend
I prefer random, but I'll let each player choose.

Also, for a casual players group I'd probably use one fixed array for everyone, but not necessarily the default one.

fjw70

Adventurer
I let the players decide and they chose to roll. The rogue rolled an 18 Dex and since she is a halfling she started with a 20 Dex.

Kaodi

Hero
I voted for other because while I do like 4d6 in 5E I also kind of like the added caveat of the ol' "let the scores fall where they may" method of allocation: no rearranging.

Remove ads